Monument Valley State Park Travel Answers

change location

Travel time and distance to Monument Valley?

by lambje Online Now Aug 9, 2008 at 7:45 AM

Hi, me and my friend will do a roadtrip from 20 september - 5 october. Our plan is to drive from Los Angeles - Grand Canyon (South Rim) - Bryce Canyon - Zion - Las Vegas - Death Valley - Seqouia/Kings Canyon - Yosemite (?) - San Francisco - LA. We would really like to visit Monument Valley, but have doubts if it is feasible.

Can anyone tell me wat the travel time + distance is from Grand Canyon (South Rim-Tusayan) to Monument Valley? And from Monument Valley to Bryce Canyon? Would it be best to plan an overnight stop in Page? And...if I have to choose between Monument Valley or Antelope Canyon/Lake Tahoe, which one is more interesting? Thanks for your help!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • vtveen's Profile Photo

Re: Travel time and distance to Monument Valley?

by vtveen Online Now Aug 9, 2008 at 8:35 AM

Tusayan - Monument Valley: 180 miles - about 3 hours 10 minutes
    Monument Valley - Bryce Canyon: 275 miles - about 4 hours 50 minutes
    (see for distances etc: randmcnally.com/rmc/directio... )

Interesting: both are absolutely different. So it is up to you where to go. But be qaware Monument Valley isn't a destination for a day or so. It is just the marvellous views of the mesas and buttes and the scenic loop drive of 17 miles.
    In and around page you could see/do more different kind os things: Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, Hoodoos and Lake Powell.

happy travels
    Jaap

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lostsooner55's Profile Photo

by lostsooner55 Online Now Aug 9, 2008 at 10:59 AM

I believe would rent the car in Los Angeles, and visit Death Valley and Seqouia/Kings Canyon. The last two areas have pretty sparse entry options from the east. I would then return the car in Los Angeles. I would then fly to Las Vegas, (Southwest airlines usually has good fares). I would rent a vehicle in Las Vegas. You could do all of your National Park visits, with the exception of Yosemite, return your vehicle to Las Vegas, and fly to San Francisco. Rent another car in San Francisco, do your Yosemite visit, possibly adding the Muir Woods and the Point Reyes National Seashore as day trips from San Francisco. I made these suggestions because renting a vehicle in one city, and returning it it another often results in additionally having to pay a substantial drop off fee for the rental car. The drive between Las Vegas and San Francisco is actually pretty unremarkable as well. Gary

• lostsooner55's Profile Photo

by lostsooner55 Online Now Aug 9, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Sorry, I originally mis-read your question and didn't notice you will be returning to LA after visiting San Francisco. In this case, you wouldn't have to worry about drop off fees on the rental vehicle. Gary

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines