Monument Valley State Park Travel Answers

change location
acprincess's Profile Photo

Hot tips for motels and/or restaurants

by acprincess Online Now Feb 28, 2008 at 1:21 PM

I'm going to drive through Monument Valley this April. Should I stay there or will I be able to see the best sights from the car. Are there any good hikes? Any good restaurants? Decent motels?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Hot tips for motels and/or restaurants

by Kakapo2 Online Now Feb 28, 2008 at 3:13 PM

I would stay there for sure. You get great sights on a tour in the car but you should also go on a tour with native americans as they are allowed into areas where you are not allowed to drive in your car. Also you should be there for the sunset. It is such a magic place.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Etoile2B's Profile Photo

by Etoile2B Online Now Feb 28, 2008 at 3:16 PM

We just returned from a road trip through the southwest and we LOVED Monument Valley. Stay at Gouldings Lodge if you can!

http://www.gouldings.com/

Every room has a spectacular view and it's the only hotel / restaurant in Monument Valley. Stay one night so you can see the sunset and the sunrise over Monument Valley. It's extraordinary to see how the different light illuminates the formations. We arrived before sunset (unfortunately it was the ONE day a year they were closed, December 25th) so we drove the surrounding areas to check out the light playing off the rocks. Then we slept at Gouldings for the night and woke up to watch the sunrise over the Valley from our balcony. We got into the park as they were opening for the day (8 am I believe but could have been 9 am) and essentially had the entire park to ourselves. We spent about 2.5 hours taking pictures and exploring with some minor hikes and as we were leaving people were starting to trickle in. You won't be able to see the park from the main highway. You will need to go into the park for this. And believe me it is worth it! Unfortunately the restaurant at Gouldings isn't great but we had fun anyways.

If you don't want to stay at Gouldings I would recommend sleeping in the town of Mexican Hat, Utah. Check out the Mexican Hat Lodge. They also have a restaurant (I think called the Swinging Steak) that's supposed to be good, but they're only open seasonally so we missed out on that.

http://www.mexicanhat.net/

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to work on my pages here on VT yet so if you want / need more information just email me.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Feb 28, 2008 at 3:23 PM

The other place to stay at if you cannot get accommodation at Gouldings Lodge is Kayenta.

• vtveen's Profile Photo

by vtveen Online Now Feb 29, 2008 at 12:45 AM

If you don't stay at Goldings your best bet is perhaps Kayenta (coming from Chinle I suppose).

Kayenta also has just a couple of hotels/motels:
    - Hampton Inn Kayenta
    - Best Western Wetherill Inn
    - Anasazi Inn at Tsegi
    - Holiday Inn Kayenta

For restaurants I did read a lot of good reviews of Amigo Cafe.

Hikes and tours, see:
    - americansouthwest.net/utah/m...
    - frommers.com/destinations/mo...

Enjoy your trip
    Jaap

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 5, 2008 at 6:07 AM

Depending on the direction you're headed I wouldn't stop anywhere around Kayenta. They're all over-priced for what they are. If you're going towards GC then perhaps the Anasazi Inn at Tsegi is your best bet. If you're headed the other way carry on into Bluff (45 miles from park) to the Recapture Lodge. But as most have said you must stop, even if it's to only do the 17-mile loop in the Valley, as early or as late as possible for best plays of the sun on the monolithes.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines