Monument Valley State Park Travel Answers

change location
Atlasgold's Profile Photo

Camping

by Atlasgold Online Now Apr 26, 2006 at 7:24 PM

We would like to camp at the Mitten Campground about the 17th of May - any idea how challenging it is to acquire a site there at this time of year and what is the earliest we can get there to get a site?
Thanks Jackie

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Shaken_Bake's Profile Photo

RE: Camping

by Shaken_Bake Online Now Apr 27, 2006 at 2:31 PM

It's first-come-first-served at this campground, but you're early in the season, so I don't think you'll have a problem. They have 90 sites. Not sure how early in the day they let people get a spot.

My BF and I camped there a number of years ago and it was a memorable trip, to say the least! First of all, it is one of the most scenic campgrounds I have ever stayed at. The view from the ridge overlooking Monument Valley is stunning! As we were setting up our tent on our campsite, there was a weird buzz coming from a nearby bush. I thought to myself, "that must be a big insect," but didn't think anything more of it. We were preparing dinner after dark when my BF shouted, "there's a snake next to you!" I looked down to see a snake headed right for my feet, and heard the same buzz I heard earlier - it was a pissed-off rattlesnake! I shrieked and jumped up on the picnic table with my BF. The snake slithered off past our table into the darkness, but no way was I putting my feet down on the dirt! After a long time, we decided to chance a run to our car, where we stayed for the rest of the long, sleepless night! Of course, in the light of day, it seemed quite hysterical, but in the dark, it was very scary!

That is the best camping story I have (other than almost getting hit by lightning while camping in Utah) So keep and eye (and ear) out for strange buzzing in the bushes and enjoy one of the most awesome places in the U.S.!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Atlasgold's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Camping

by Atlasgold Online Now Apr 28, 2006 at 1:52 PM

Wow Thanks for the info and for the great story - I grew up in PA in the mountains with lots of snakes - but the night time thing would have freaked me out too..... Hey which camp site were you on???HAHA - just don't want to go to that one in case the snake has 1st dibs on it. Do you think it is safe for 2 females camping to stay there? We are trying to take a break from our families but prefer to come back in one piece. Also anywhere else nice you camped out there - we are flying into Alq. and taking a little road trip to MV and back to Bandaleir (sp?) Thanks for the tip and a laugh.

• Shaken_Bake's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Camping

by Shaken_Bake Online Now Apr 28, 2006 at 4:10 PM

It should be perfectly safe for you at Mitten View, just get a campsite without a bush! Any campground in that whole Southern Utah region is incredible, particularly at the national parks and monuments. Some are more primative than others, so you may want to check out motels too, which can be cheap out in the boonies, and when a bed and a shower feel real good! MV means Mesa Verde? If so, well worth the visit - incredible artifacts and original building sites. There's a state park near Mancos, I think, that has lovely lakeside campsites, nice after camping in the desert! New Mexico has lots of incredible places to see too - try to get through Taos at some point, Santa Fe too.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines