Monument Valley State Park Travel Answers

change location
Micgwit's Profile Photo

GC to MV and back

by Micgwit Online Now Feb 25, 2005 at 12:59 PM

My name’s Mike and I live in England. My girlfriend and I will be staying at GC South Rim in April 2005 and would really love to spend some time in Monument Valley National Park. Our plan was to travel from GC by hire car and spend a few nights at Gouldings and then spend a day with a Dineh, Navajo guide and then one or two nights in a Hogan if available.

However the first obstacle is the car hire..... non at GC. Flagstaff is out because we don’t want to spend overnights in cities and don’t want to travel by car all day. I have a quote from an air service for179 one way GC to MV per person but no return available.179 one way each is a bit stiff for us, (not a rich Brit, just a Firefighter hoping for the holiday of a lifetime spending time in Dineh Navajo lands, meeting people and learning about culture and history)

Any info you can give would be gratefully accepted. Since very early childhood I have always dreamed of travelling to the First American’s lands to learn first hand about their proud history.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • amy312's Profile Photo

RE: GC to MV and back

by amy312 Online Now Feb 27, 2005 at 8:41 AM

I don't know the closest place to rent a car from Grand Canyon (someone more familiar with the state might know) but if it is Flagstaff, it wouldn't be a bad place to spend a night. It is a very cool little town, to me the best in Arizona, and has a very different look than most of Arizona because it is up at 8,000 feet (2,500 meters?) and surrounded by pine forests. There are also lots of native American ruins nearby that you could visit, so you wouldn't need to do city-based activities. I agree with you - seeing the landscapes and native cultures would be my priority on a trip to Arizona, too - but you may save lots of money and have much more flexibility renting a car than flying, and the area around Flagstaff would be an interesting place to spend a half or full day.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Micgwit's Profile Photo

RE: RE: GC to MV and back

by Micgwit Online Now Feb 28, 2005 at 12:52 PM

Thanks Amy,
    I think we are going to follow your advice and take the bus (openroadtours.com) from GC, arriving in Flagstaff at 13:00. This will allow us time to explore Downtown Flagstaff, which according to the guide books looks pretty good. We will then stay the night, hire a car from the Amtrack Station (don't know how far away from downtown that is), then have a slow drive to Monument Valley taking in some Native American stops around Flagstaff, Tuba City and Kayenta, on the way. I have checked with Hertz and Alamo, for Car Hire in Flagstaff and drop of in Las Vegas 2 weeks later. Both companies do it (for an extra fee), so it means we can tke in Lake Powell, Bryce Canyon and Zion. We like to stay for at least 2 nights in each place and when we really want to slow down and appreciate the beauty, peace and people we will stay longer.

Thanks again for your help and advice, and if I can ever help concerning England or Europe, drop me a line.

By the way it is my girlfriends 30th Birthday on the 2nd of April, which is one day before your birthday. We are spending it at West Ranch Grand Canyon in a Native American Teepee, following a meal and under the stars campfire.

Regards,

Mike.

• amy312's Profile Photo

by amy312 Online Now Mar 2, 2005 at 3:55 PM

Sounds like a great trip, Mike! The drive from Flagstaff to MV is incredible - the vistas go on forever and you can drive for hours without seeing another person or building. It's such a unique and special part of the country. I hope you both have a wonderful trip.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 10, 2006 at 10:49 AM

Hi Mike - Amy's advice was straight up as you really need a car to experience this most awe-inspiring part of the US. What a great itinerary you've planned! You will see very different landscapes in your travels but all of them are very beautiful. Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, etc. are top of my Favorites Places list and you'll find Native American guides to be quiet, friendly and informative. Can't wait to see your pages when you return - have a great trip! (PS - England is also on my list of favorite places so will mail you for advice when the exchange rate improves a bit!)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines