Montreal Travel Answers

change location

To and From Airport

by nino224 Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Hi,
I'm wondering what's the best way to get from the airport to downtown and vice versa. We're arriving around midnight.

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • hawkhead's Profile Photo

Re: To and From Airport

by hawkhead Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Which airport?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 3:06 AM

I assume you are arriving at Trudeau Airport (formerly known as Dorval Airport) in Montreal.

Fortunately, unlike most urban airports it is not too far away from the city proper, so a taxi ride might be your best option. I don't know what the fares are any more but would expect the ride to be in the order of40 range. I generally end up renting a car if on business to Montreal, and have not been there in a while.

admtl.com/Passengers/AccessA...

There is a 24-hour bus service that I believe goes to the bus terminal as well.

admtl.com/Passengers/AccessA...

• kitsou's Profile Photo

by kitsou Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 6:38 PM

The options depend on what you want to spend. There is a bus the "747" just outside the terminal for about10 Canadian. A taxi will be about40. A regular bus is3, but you have to get yourself and your luggage to the bus terminal, a little ways away.

• Re: To and From Airport

by nino224 Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Thanks, everybody!

I'm arriving at YUL, sorry.
    I like the bus idea, but the flight lands pretty late and my 7 y.o. gets pretty cranky when he's tired. Add freezing temps to that, and40 for a taxi may just be the most sensible idea.
    Any area in particular I should look at for hotels?

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 4:05 AM

As in many cities, the hotels are clustered either in the downtown area or near the airport. Montreal is no exception here.

• kitsou's Profile Photo

by kitsou Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 4:31 AM

I like Trivago as a comparison site for hotels. Just enter city and prefered currency. If you're not renting a car, stay near a Metro station,but off island, like Laval, Longueuil, or out of the core, such as,St Laurent or with shuttles to downtown.

1 member found this helpful

by nino224 Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Hi,

Out of the core? You mean away from Old Montreal, and is that because of cost or ease of transportation?

• kitsou's Profile Photo

by kitsou Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Downtown core and Old Montreal are not the same thing. The old historical part of Montreal is on the river, and downtown is above. It's connected by subway, buses etc.

by nino224 Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Got it, thanks!

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Laval and Longueuil are the suburbs (and off the Island on Montreal to the north and south respectively, probably not the best place to stay if you are trying to visit the downtown area) and St Laurent is well to the north-east of the downtown area.

The core downtown hotels tend to be the pricey ones that primarily cater to the business market, but if you go a bit east or west, you start getting into the slightly less upscale places like the Days Inn or Travelodge hotels. I've stayed at the Travelodge on Rene Levesque Ouest before and it is quite affordable and still walking distance to the downtown sites.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines