Montpellier Travel Answers

change location

How to get to Montpellier from Venice

by msg1993 Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Hi I am flying from Venice to Toulouse direct then catching the train to Mont Pellier. Is there a better way I just want to get to Mont Pellier and am coming from Venice??

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Re: How to get to Montpellier from Venice

by K_V_B Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Flying to Lyon could be an option too. Depending on when you are flying you could even catch a train to Montpellier from the Lyon airport.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Roadquill's Profile Photo

Re: How to get to Montpellier from Venice

by Roadquill Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I would think either Lyon or Marseilles would give you more options. Although the train from Toulouse to Montpellier would be easier than the other options. Or maybe you can find a low cost airline that goes to Barcelona/Girona. Although you have some delay at the border due to the track change.

1 member found this helpful

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 11:34 PM

From the wording of your post I think flying into Toulouse is already fixed?

The French railway website

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/

in common with all European railway websites, gives you the fastest routing by default. Best to use the French language version (easy to work out). Journey time is just over hours with no changes.

There is a direct shuttle to Toulouse Matabieu railway station from the airport as well as ordinary buses:

toulouse.aeroport.fr/en/airp...

If your flight is not yet fixed, then you might investigate flying into Montpellier itself with KLM, Air France or Lufthansa. Even though flights include a stop they are pretty speedy.

You could also make the whole journey by train, although this involves several changes, or by long-distance bus from Venice to Montpellier itself:

http://www.eurolines.com/en/

It's a long journey by bus (1300-0400) though the fare, at 90 euro, may be cheaper than flight + train or train alone.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• sheanbedi's Profile Photo

by sheanbedi Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 1:59 AM

I took train from Lyon to go to Montpellier its less then 2 hours. From Venice you could take budget airline and fly to Lyon. You may catch a train from Lyon airport for Montpellier too

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:26 AM

About 8/9 years ago I took the train from Venice to Montpellier, after a stop at Verona (same line though) - It is long but possible. The trains in Italy are cheap but fine. I had to change in Lyon, and buy a ticket there. I had a lot of luggage and the timing was tight; my American card didnt work on the automatic machines (perhaps that is better now) - However the conductor respected my plight and I bought my ticket on the train without paying an extra charge (but I do speak French fluently). The good thing about the train is - you see the scenery, of course. It might or might not be cheaper, but with a lot of luggage, it is definitely the way to go! Enjoy!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 12:06 PM

As far as I know, all automated machines in European countries only accept cards with chip & PIN. Italian ticket machines certainly do. Country of card origin is irrelevant.

I believe machines in ticket offices *may* be able to accept unchipped cards (using the 'swipe' technique) but cannot be certain.

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM

My card was chipped and pinned but occasionally I had problems with it in France, and still have on rare occasions, such as the health food store in my village in the Herault - and we are talking of the SNCF machines here - it mostly has always worked everywhere - However since that time that problem might have been corrected - That was of course before the time when you could buy SNCF tickets online, which would obviate the desperate rush between trains - So that story has changed; perhaps the most important point is that the conductor was relaxed about the situation - If you speak with an accent, you are often forgiven many small sins (like forgetting to compost your ticket - I rarely remember until it is too late, but no one has ever made a case of it) - The SNCF conductors are generally charming and helpful; be sincere and polite and generally things will go quite agreeably - at least with the SNCF!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines