Montezuma Travel Answers

change location
pegasus1177's Profile Photo

First Timer planning 10 day trip to Montezuma/MalPais/Santa Theresa...need tips/advice/help!!!

by pegasus1177 Online Now Feb 17, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Hi all!

I am a costa rica 'virgin' planning my first ever getaway to the region to escape the sinking economy and take advantage of my current unemployed status...hee hee. I do NOT have a lot of money...I had a public interest job before this whole fiasco and am not sitting on a pile of layoff money or savings or anything like that. I am definitely looking to go budget all the way but still be able to explore a beautiful area, be safe and have a really inspiring and relaxing time. I will be flying into San Jose airport and thought I would take the bus to Mal Pais/Santa Theresa for half the time and then go up to Montezuma for the rest of the time and back to San Jose for the return flight. I'd like to know what the best mode of transport from malpais to montezuma would be. I assume public bus? I am thinking of staying at Casa Zen in malpais and the luna llena hostel in montezuma. Any thoughts/warnings/recommendations???

I'm excited to plan this trip and welcome any input from those who have been there. OH almost forgot...I'm vegan (although mainly for health reasons/dislike of meat/dairy industry practices) and thinking about eating local fish while there but want to make sure I have enough vegan options too.

THANKS!
Jessica

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • augrad's Profile Photo

Re: First Timer planning 10 day trip to Montezuma/MalPais/Santa Theresa...need tips/advice/help!!!

by augrad Online Now Feb 23, 2009 at 8:03 PM

I have found that tripadvisor always has reliable hotel reviews. I have found bunches of reviews for hotels and hostels in CR.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ck213's Profile Photo

Re: First Timer planning 10 day trip to Montezuma/MalPais/Santa Theresa...need tips/advice/help!!!

by ck213 Online Now Mar 13, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Guess you may have gone already.

Casa Zen is a great place in Malpais. Luna llena is also great. I would however maybe try somewhere else in CR on this trip as these two locations are pretty similar, culture- wise. Mal pais is not much more than a surfer town. Great if you surf, among the best I've been, but if you don't I wouldn't concentrate too much time there. I liked Montezuma better. If you had to pick another location, Arenal would have to be it for me. The south (Corvacado) is also great but more time consuming and a little more$.

Hope this helps if it was on time

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines