Travel Answers
Montevideo

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• lovina's Profile Photo

What to do in Montevideo on a Sunday afternoon ?

by lovina Online Now Apr 5, 2014 at 1:29 AM

First time ever in Uruguay.
      Arrival at noon from overseas flight, check in latest at 14.00 in Punta Carretas.
      Thereafter ?
      Who has good suggestions where to go and where not to go ?
      Ideally I would walk the streets to enjoy nice local atmospheres.
      Then go for a good local drink, perhaps for apéro time.
      Then for sure have a great meal in the evening in a nice local place.
      Thank you for any useful tip and wish a nice week-end to all VTs.
      Mauro

• Suggestions

by RobertoAbreu Online Now Mar 4, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Me and my wife will be in Montevideo next abril 26th.
      Staying there for 7 nights how do you think we should spend our days since we plan to visit Colonia del Sacramento and Punta del Este as well? Shoul we rent a car? Or take the local buses? What about the hotels in these three cities? And the main points to visit...any suggestions will be very much appreciated.
      Thanks in advance

3 Answers Mar 4, 2014 at 4:07 PM
    • fromwindycity's Profile Photo

Weather from Feb 13-20

by fromwindycity Online Now Feb 6, 2014 at 8:21 AM

According to the future forecast on accuweather.com some rain is expected during Feb13-20
      accuweather.com/en/uy/montev...

If this forecast is true, how bad do the rains get in Montevideo? Will it keep me from doing anything outside without an umbrella. If you have better local weather information can you let me know how likely this rain will be? I would like to also visit the beach but not have to travel too far to get to one, does Montevideo have good beaches? I have seen information on Pocitos beach, is it nice there, any other? Thank you for your help

2 Answers Feb 10, 2014 at 7:48 AM
    • Booking a taxi to the airport

by CDass Online Now Jan 22, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Which taxi should we book and how to go to the airport? We have rather large luggage so is there a larger car or van we can book to pick us up at 4 am at the apartment to go to the airport?

4 Answers Feb 7, 2014 at 11:04 AM
    • local currency

by Benito101 Online Now Jan 16, 2014 at 7:53 AM

What is the current exchange rate?

3 Answers Jan 16, 2014 at 8:34 AM
    • How fully booked are the long-distance buses to Asuncion from Montevideo in January and February?

by tezzy Online Now Nov 28, 2013 at 5:36 AM

Dear all,

I understand January through February is a peak season for long-distance bus transportation in "Southern Cone" - I take it as Argentina, Uruguay and Brasil.

As I do not understand Spanish that much and thus will not book buses online in advance to my upcoming trip, if any, how soon do you think I can travel from Montevideo to Asuncion by bus when I just arrive at Montevideo and try to book bus at a bus operator kiosk right away?

I hope I will not need to wait for a week before leaving Montevideo!

Thanks,

3 Answers Nov 28, 2013 at 10:00 PM
    • translunar's Profile Photo

Nice inexpensive hotels

by translunar Online Now Nov 5, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I am looking for a decent place or places to stay and get grounded, to start a month or so of enjoying Uruguay.

2 Answers Jan 17, 2014 at 7:47 PM
    • Montevideo side trips

by PhillyFilly Online Now Oct 18, 2013 at 5:21 AM

Is La Cologna worth the visit? And is it better to hire a local guide/driver in the country or book before you go?

4 Answers Oct 30, 2013 at 3:08 PM
    • Flight arrives at 2am. What to do until 9am?

by madproof Online Now Oct 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Hi,

We are flying in to Montevideo from the US and land at around 2am. In the morning, around 9am, we are picking up a car and driving out to Punte del Este for the week.

Is there anything that can be done at the airport between 2-9am? Is there an airport hotel that does not require us to leave the airport in a cab? The closest hotel I've found is about 5KM from the airport. We figure by the time we land, go through customs, get a cab (pay for a cab!), and get to a hotel, we'll only have 3-4 hours until we need to be back at the airport to get the car.

Has anyone flown in at such a late hour? What did you do?

5 Answers Nov 19, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    • Navettes aéroport

by Lalonde2000 Online Now Sep 12, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Bonjour,

Comment se rendre de l'aéroport de Montevideo au centre ville à bon marché?

1 Answer Sep 12, 2013 at 4:36 PM
    • Motorcycle/Scooter Rental in Montevideo/Punta Del Este? Or better to purchase?

by SuitcaseAsHome Online Now Jun 11, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Hi,

I will be coming to Montevideo at the end of June and will probably be staying for a few months, and so I want to either purchase or rent a motorcycle/scooter.

I'm looking at anywhere from 125 to 250cc, I prefer manual but can easily ride scooters. A dirt bike (dirty) would be ideal, but I know that they can get expensive. Whether I rent or buy depends on prices and the general situation, so I have a few questions:

1. What are the average prices for bike rental? 2. Are there any scams that often happen? (eg. if you are in Thailand they charge you an arm and a leg for basic repairs and even scratches, unless you fix them yourself without the owner knowing) 3. Are there lots of places for rentals or is it not really popular? 4. Which brands are most common, so are the cheapest for mechanics to service? 5. I love the riding style of Dirtbikes, are they practical here? 6. Can you recommend any bike rental/purchase places?

1 Answer Jun 19, 2013 at 1:09 PM
    • Pet friendly lodging?

by msw13 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 6:32 PM

We'll be arriving April 11th and are looking for pet friendly lodging (2 dogs) while we search for a longer term rental in person. We're looking for something for a week or two to start with. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated!

8 Answers May 17, 2013 at 7:51 AM
    • Unique82's Profile Photo

Bus to BA Argentina from montevideo/Colonia not ferry

by Unique82 Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Hi guys, I know their is a ferry to BA Argentina but id rather take a bus does anyone know if this is possible from montevideo and Colonia if so how long does it take and whats the price?. Thanks!

1 Answer Jan 30, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    • Unique82's Profile Photo

Montevideo/Colonia to Salta Argentina by bus?

by Unique82 Online Now Jan 16, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Does anyone know if there any buses direct to Salta Argentia from Montevideo or anyother parts of Uruguay?. I know about buses from Buenos Aires but i dont want to go there.

7 Answers Jan 17, 2013 at 2:19 PM
    • Looking for a reliable travel agent in Montevideo

by Premium5445 Online Now Jan 5, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Hola. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a travel agent to help with hotel bookings, ferries etc in Montevideo

Cheers

• yvr's Profile Photo

Hotel Escuela Kolping

by yvr Online Now Dec 20, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Am thinking about booking this hotel. It is also a training centre for tourism students. There are no reviews about this property. Would appreciate any feed back regarding the property. Apparently there are many of these Kopling training schools throughout South America.

9 Answers Nov 5, 2012 at 5:11 AM
    • beamer4fun's Profile Photo

How do I spend 2 days in Montevideo

by beamer4fun Online Now Nov 26, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Greetings fellow VTs,

I'll be in Montevideo December 3rd (Sunday) through December 5th, (Tuesday) before heading off to Buenos Aries for 2 days. What are must see or do(s) while in your city? I'm thinking of renting a car and driving to Punta del estes for beach time Sunday......I hear the beaches are great in this area. I want to practice Tango dancing while I'm there as well. Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.

Tony

12 Answers Nov 27, 2011 at 5:41 AM
    • need suggestion

by laurawalker19 Online Now Feb 11, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Where can I buy a sleeping bag in Montevideo?

4 Answers Feb 25, 2011 at 3:48 AM
    • jackiewhipple's Profile Photo

only one day

by jackiewhipple Online Now Dec 19, 2010 at 4:48 PM

We are on a cruise and only have from 10am to 5pm to see what is important to see in Montevideo. Can we get a van or taxi and do a city tour and then what should we include in this tour?
      Is the Colonia Del Sacramento worth the 2 hour drive to go and see?

6 Answers Dec 27, 2010 at 8:00 AM
    • Rambla alone at night

by bkq Online Now Dec 6, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Any suggestions for a 45 year old male who will be visiting Montevideo alone, staying in Pocitos, and will probably be walking along the Rambla alone quite a bit, even late at night?

4 Answers Jun 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM
    • no hablo espanol

by bkq Online Now Dec 3, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Is it hard to be a tourist in Uruguay without being able to speak Spanish? Are there any places in Montevideo, Colonia del Sacramento or other cities where one would be likely to meet English-speaking travelers and locals?

4 Answers Nov 28, 2012 at 10:26 AM
    • Free Wifi in Montevideo

by iitpp0 Online Now Oct 3, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Please advise Free public access Wifi locations in Montevideo ? Has public library of Montevideo free WIfi ?

4 Answers Nov 28, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    • Pedro_Laia's Profile Photo

Montevideo - Aeroporto to City Center

by Pedro_Laia Online Now Oct 1, 2010 at 4:50 AM

Hi there.
      What buses can i get from the airport to the city center (Plaza Independenzia, Av. 9 Julio)? Where to get? Costs and scheudle? (i'll arrive around 21.00).
      Thanks in advance
      Pedro

2 Answers Oct 6, 2010 at 4:54 AM
    • tesoro77's Profile Photo

What to see in MVD?

by tesoro77 Online Now Aug 6, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I've read all postings here, and with over 100 VT members living in Montevideo, I was surprised to only see Plaza de Independencia. It's quite an old city of over 1 mln population and I am sure there is more to it than Plaza de Independencia. My request to local people - please give me a list of YOUR favorites - museums, theatres, restaurants, areas of the city. I am visiting coming January and I would appreciate any advice from locals (yes, I am reading and researching) This is the beauty of VT - one can ask for advice of LOCALS.
      Thank you all in advance!

3 Answers Aug 9, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    • Best way to get from Airport to Hotel in Punta Carettas

by Tripzzz Online Now Jul 2, 2010 at 5:25 AM

Hi,
      What is the best way to get from the airport to Punta Carettas? I understand that airport cabs are expensive, but how much approximately are we talking about if you hop in an airport cab rather than calling one to pick you up?? I have a fair amount of luggage so walking any great distance to bus terminals is probably not a great idea for me. Thanks

3 Answers Jul 16, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    • Club Locations

by naomibocancea Online Now May 26, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Hi,
      I'm planning to go to Montevideo this summer, and I'm looking for some clubs to go there, I'll be staying for quite a while. If you know where to go to have a great night please let me know, and it is possible to give GPS coordinates for the location, cause I'll rent a car with the navigator.
      Thanks in advance.

1 Answer May 31, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    • Getting to Buenos Aires

by meltingman Online Now May 15, 2010 at 10:43 AM

How can I buy a ticket to go on a hydrofoil (the quick way) to Buenos Aires? I arrive at the airport in Montevideo. But I would like to go from the airport to the buquebus or ferry tp go straight to Buenos Aires. My flier miles gave me a trip to Montevideo.
      Can I do that? Do I take a taxi from the airport to the port? How much does that cost? Can I get a ticket on the boat in advance? How many hours is the quick boat?

I look forward to your response

4 Answers Jul 14, 2010 at 4:45 PM
    • Exchanging Money

by Blondie44blue Online Now Jan 13, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Where is the best place to buy Pesos in Montivideo?

2 Answers May 8, 2010 at 11:56 PM
    • Looking for Apartment for rent

by iela Online Now Dec 29, 2009 at 11:58 AM

I'm planning to go for a vacation to Uruguay with my husband and 2 years old and we rae looking to spend 5 days in Piriapolis during JAN 27 to FEB 01
      but I'm not finding any available reasonable hotels online.(50 -70 )
      Does anyone have ideas on a way to find available apartment or hotel
      during this time ?
      If anyone has any recommendations to find and Apartmnet or nice clean hotel
      during this time I would appreciate your help!

Gracias

3 Answers Mar 13, 2010 at 11:58 AM
    • nikoskaps's Profile Photo

Estansia daytrip / overnight ex Montevideo or Cordoba?

by nikoskaps Online Now Dec 26, 2009 at 2:46 AM

Hi there!
      I'll be in Uruguay next month and I wonder if it is possible to see or stay in an estancia, starting from Montevideo or Cordoba (not really luxurious, expensive etc).
      Could be possible on a day trip or stay the night.
      But I' ll travel by public transport so cannot just drive there -much better if being near easy access with bus, or they pick up, or take a guided tour ex these 2 cities, or...?
      Any idea for where to look, feasibility, cost, would be really great!
      many thanks
      Nikos

4 Answers Dec 30, 2009 at 10:41 AM