Montevideo Travel Answers

change location

Direct ferry from Buenos Aires to Montevideo

by Anniewel Online Now Aug 24, 2008 at 8:16 PM

Can someone tell me how I can purchase tickets for the direct ferry to Montevideo from Buenos Aires. The Buquebus site will not give me access to online purchase, but does allow me to see schedules. I live in U.S., don't speak Spanish, so telephoning the ferry office was a waste of time; I tried.
Need tickets in October, and want to purchase in advance. Also, is it necessary to purchase in advance. I need the early (08:00) ferry and don't want to go by way of Colonia.
Thanks for any help.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • georgt's Profile Photo

Re: Direct ferry from Buenos Aires to Montevideo

by georgt Online Now Aug 25, 2008 at 3:48 AM

buy the ticket at the ferry station and be happy!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Direct ferry from Buenos Aires to Montevideo

by virtual786 Online Now Aug 25, 2008 at 12:28 PM

I just checked the Buquebus schedule. There doesn't seem to be an 8:00 boat ; the direct boat leaves at 12:01 p.m. and takes 3 hours. Wouldn't the bus from Montevideo to Colonia at 7:15 a.m.,that gets you to BA at 10:45 be a better idea? The bus trip is fine and let's you see some of Uruguay. If you take the noon boat, that will sort of kill the day. The bus-boat way only takes 30 minutes longer and, I think, it costs less
    Buying the ticket the day before the trip at the Buquebus office in Downtown Montevideo would be fine. You might get a better rate for you BA hotel if you book it through Buquebus.
    Almost everyone who is involved in the tourist sector in Montevideo and BA speaks English.
    I've found that Buequebus is one of the few companies in this part of the world that really has its act together.

• Porteno's Profile Photo

by Porteno Online Now Aug 25, 2008 at 2:35 PM

If the OP is wanting to go from Buenos Aires to Montevideo why are you suggesting he purchase his ticket in Montevideo? And in fact there is an 8am departure for Montevideo Fecha: Martes 07/10/08 | 08:00 hs. Trayecto: BUE-MVD Servicio: Buque directo MVD (3 hs) so not sure what site you were going to but this is from the October schedule which the OP stated was the travel time period.

There are city ticket offices in Buenos Aires, Posadas 1452, just off Callao, Av Cordoba 879, another at the Retiro Bus Station and at the ferry station in Puerto Madero. As for you not being able to book on line did you register and put in a user name and password? If that is not the issue then I would suggest emailing them at atclientes@buquebus.com and see if you can get an answer from them.

Suerte
    SAM

• Re: Direct ferry from Buenos Aires to Montevideo

by virtual786 Online Now Aug 25, 2008 at 4:15 PM

Sorry, I made a mistake about the direction of your voyage. Nevertheless, I still think one day prior to your planned sailing will be plenty of time. Why not go to one of the ticket offices mentioned, the day that you arrive in BA?
    The Buequebus website is in Spanish. You said that you don't know Spanish.
    Booking a hotel through Buquebus in Montevideo might be a good idea. Ive stayed at the Four Points Sheraton in Montevideo several times. Excellent.

• Porteno's Profile Photo

by Porteno Online Now Aug 25, 2008 at 6:11 PM

There is an icon on the upper left side of the home page to get the English version of the website.
    suerte
    SAM

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Montevideo