Montevideo Travel Answers

change location
abckidz's Profile Photo

Safety & Nice Walking Areas - Montevideo

by abckidz Online Now Apr 8, 2008 at 3:37 AM

Hey all - I'm in the process of planning a trip to Montevideo and I'd just like some extra information on safety there..e.g. how safe is it to walk with a camera in parts of the city...what areas to avoid...what areas not to miss.

Also, what are some areas where it's nice to just walk for a while and enjoy the weather, and are there any possible side trips from Motevideo besides Colonia that are worth checking out? Any information would be helpful - thanks!!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • rafgys's Profile Photo

Re: Safety & Nice Walking Areas - Montevideo

by rafgys Online Now Apr 8, 2008 at 5:09 AM

Montevideo is still a quite-safe place. Just stay alert, you know ... if you don't like what you see around ... don't take pictures. But all around the comercial areas (downtown, old town), it's usually safe (before it gets dark).

The worst areas are far from where tourists are, you won't even be close to those areas. But avoid walking around Barrio Sur, Palermo (which are south of downtown) and some areas near the old town and the city port, you'll see them. Like I said before, if you don't like what you see... avoid it.

I would say you can't miss the Rambla. It's a street that goes along the shore for over 15 or 20 kilometers. It's a nice place just to walk and enjoy the weather. It's nice around Parque Rodo, Punta Carretas, Pocitos, Puertito del Buceo, and even further by Malvin and Punta Gorda.

(I hope you get a map mentioning the neighborhoods!).

As far as side trips, I don't know how much time you'll have... but there are quite a few things to do. If you like wine, you can visit some excellent wineries north of Montevideo. I think this is the best time of the year to visit places like Punta del Este, Piriapolis, even Atlantida. They are almost empty... so you can actually see their beauty.

What would you like to do or see? When are you coming?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Montevideo