Monteverde Travel Answers

change location

getting from Monteverde to Tortuguero

by terrirob Online Now Nov 17, 2008 at 8:03 AM

We are planning on visiting CR in Aug. and are planning on visiting Tortuguero, Arenal and Monteverde. We are a family of 4 with 2 kids. We were wondering if it is possible to travel from Tortuguero to Monteverde without having to go back to San Jose?

Thanks. Terri

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • akskibunny's Profile Photo

Re: getting from Monteverde to Tortuguero

by akskibunny Online Now Nov 17, 2008 at 10:05 AM

I would say your best bet is to go back through SJ on the highway. It's a somewhat-long drive as it is and the secondary roads really twist and turn and take you pretty far out of the way(and the potholes will slow you down further). Of course I can think of less interesting ways to spend a day than meandering through a beautiful country :)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: getting from Monteverde to Tortuguero

by terrirob Online Now Nov 17, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Thanks. Do you think that itinerary is reasonable for a family with 2 kids in the month of Aug.? How many days do you think we should stay in each, as to not feel too rushed and feel like we are just moving from place to place? Any other areas to suggest?

by akskibunny Online Now Nov 17, 2008 at 10:27 AM

I haven't been to Tortuguero but friends were just there on a cruise. They said next time they'd make sure their boat trip goes up the river a bit further- they only went about two hours and didn't see much. We just spent 3 nights in Arenal in July and have stayed 2 nights on a previous trip. A couple nights in Monteverde should be enough to get a feel for the unique environment there.

If you don't absolutely have your heart set on Tortuguero, I would suggest Manuel Antonio NP on the Pacific coast as a great place for the kids. Nice, calm beach (in the park) and awesome wildlife sightings up close. It's also about the same distance (closer) from Monteverde to Tortuguero.

• Re: getting from Monteverde to Tortuguero

by terrirob Online Now Nov 17, 2008 at 10:39 AM

I thought Tortuguero would be good, because of the timing of our trip-Aug. and nesting season. We would definitely stay there and travel around by boat. My husband and I traveled to Manuel Antonio NP about 15 years ago (before kids) and wanted to visit someplace different, though, we are open to suggestions. Do you think Manuel is better than Monteverde with kids? Is Arenal a must? Any other places that might be good with kids? Thanks so much.

by akskibunny Online Now Nov 17, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Ahh I see.
    Well, I don't have kids so I can only offer generalizations. I would think about the age of the kids and what they're interested in. If they love the beach then I would head to the coast. If they're into forest hikes, Monteverde would be good. Both have nature and wildlife. I will say that, in July, it rained pretty much all day and night up in the Poas-Arenal-Monteverde area and we had just daily afternoon showers out on the coast.

Arenal is a gamble... it is amazing to see the lava flowing down but it's all up to the weather. We didn't see it at all in our 3 nights in July. We did do the hanging bridges in Arenal and really enjoyed that. And of course the hot springs are a fabulous indulgence.

I forgot about the nesting time in Tortuguero. That's an awesome experience and definitely recommend doing that for sure!

I hope I helped some! Please let me know if I can help with anything else!

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

by Tom_In_Madison Online Now Nov 25, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Are you renting a car? If not, I'd hire a mini-van to take you and the family straight to there--going back to SJ won't be neccesary, not to mention a pain.

• jolen6's Profile Photo

by jolen6 Online Now Jul 16, 2010 at 1:44 PM

We are a group of 10 traveling that route only in reverse- Tortuguero to Monteverde and are not going via San Jose. We have hired a driver through an company called AnywhereCostaRica.com. The rates are reasonable and the people that work for them are great and easy to work with. From what I understand its a long route, roads are full of pot holes (nothing surprising there!!) but it is very scenic. You won't save that much time going through San Jose vs the other route.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines