Monteverde Travel Answers

change location

Best Night Hike?

by Graciej Online Now Jun 8, 2008 at 5:42 PM

We plan to do a night time hike while we're in Monteverde and are wondering about your experiences with the various options. There are night hike options in the Children's Forest, at Selvatura, and in the Montana Forest (booked through a homestay organization) that we know about.

Any experiences you can share?

Thanks.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • atufft's Profile Photo

Re: Best Night Hike?

by atufft Online Now Jun 8, 2008 at 9:48 PM

I can't recall how we found out about this, but it was by looking around Santa Elena, I think. The night hike we had was led by a Costa Rican biology graduate. We followed her flashlight, and she pointed it at sleeping birds in trees, nightcrawler insects on the ground or on leaves, and some animals. It was an inexpensive and worthwhile nature hike.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Lidrokz's Profile Photo

Re: Best Night Hike?

by Lidrokz Online Now Jun 25, 2008 at 8:40 PM

We went on the tour through "Finca Ecologica". I think we booked through our hotel in Santa Elena. Pretty good tour...saw a few night critters. Got seperated from the group...a big no no! Scared the crap out of ourselves for a few minutes! I would assume all the various night tours are much alike so price compare.
    Make sure you check out the "Frog Pond" in Santa Elena (Santa Elena is right next to Monteverde, a short cab ride away) & the snake house...pretty cool. Go to the Frog Pond at night. Take a flashlight...always handy in Costa Rica!
    Banks, shopping etc are based in Santa Elena.The rain forest tour in the Santa Elena Rain Forest is compareable to Monteverde. The zip lines, hanging bridges are also in Santa Elena. Keep in mind the nights are a tad cooler in this part of the country.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines