Monteverde Travel Answers

change location
marlene76's Profile Photo

Arco Iris or Trapp Family lodge?

by marlene76 Online Now Mar 12, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Which lodge do you think would be better for 2 nights? Arco Iris or Trapp family? We are stumped. I liked the fact that Arco iris is next to the town and the price seems very reasonable, although after looking at the town in photos, the town really doesnt look all that appealing, but I could be wrong. We will have a rental car to get to town if we choose the Trapp Family Lodge. I like that Trapp has its own restaurant, cable tv and a nice view from the mountain suites, but then I hear it's very cold and windy. The problem I find with Arco Iris is that there are no screens on the windows and I dont know if that is going to be a big problem or not. Hopefully someone can help me make a decision, Im so confused.

Would love to hear your input. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Etoile2B's Profile Photo

Re: Arco Iris or Trapp Family lodge?

by Etoile2B Online Now Mar 17, 2008 at 9:03 PM

We just got back from Monteverde on Saturday. I know the location of both of those hotels (although we never went into either). Just based on location I would say stay at Arco Iris. The town of Santa Elena is, although small, cute and has many restaurants and shops. The town of Monteverde doesn't have much of anything so you would be pretty limited to your own hotel. Having a car will be a nice advantage to be able to get between the two towns (they're only 6 km apart) but if you want to be able to go out at night and walk around and not worry about driving stay at Arco Iris. It is cool up there so we never opened our windows so you don't need to worry about screens, or the lack there of... Hope this helps. If you need more info just let me know.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • marlene76's Profile Photo

by marlene76 Online Now Mar 19, 2008 at 9:34 AM

Thank you! We chose Arco Iris, I like the idea of having the option to walk into town rather than driving through the bad roads at night as I have read.

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo

by Etoile2B Online Now Mar 20, 2008 at 1:02 PM

As far as the bad roads go... The road from San Jose is paved the whole way but the last 20 to 25 km and then once you get to town the roads are paved! We were surprised by this. Then the road from the town of Monteverde to the park is unpaved again. But I think you'll enjoy staying closer to the town of Santa Elena. Have a great time!

• Re: Arco Iris or Trapp Family lodge?

by melibelly83 Online Now Jul 29, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Have you returned from your trip yet?

I am leaving for Arco Iris next Friday: 8/8/08. We have decided to stay there 4 nights...any suggestions? Was it a nice place?
    I've never been to costa rica and am looking forward to it.

• Re: Arco Iris or Trapp Family lodge?

by 4fawn Online Now Jan 16, 2009 at 8:21 AM

I don't know if you've already gone on your trip, or have already booked, but i would warn you to not stay at Arco Iris!

We arrived at the hotel, not having booked in advance and were told that they had rooms available for the week and that they also had Internet connection throughout the hotel. It was crucial for me to be able to connect to the Internet for work while I was there.
    They told us that we had to pay upfront for the room, for the whole week. I was very nervous about doing this, and did not think it was a good idea. But my friend assured me that it would be fine.

As soon as we checked in I checked for internet service, and there was none. So I went down to the front desk guy again and told him that the Internet was not working. He said that he would call a guy about it, and that it should be working by that evening. To make a long story short, by the next afternoon there was still, and had not been Internet service at the hotel. And I was already a day and a half behind in my work.

We found another hotel down the street that did in fact have internet connection and decided to move down there. Hotel Ines, which we loved by the way!

When we checked out of Hotel Arco Iris the (same) guy who checked us in said he completely understood the circumstances and would refund us our money minus the first nights stay, plus a late fee for checking out after noon, plus a cc fee. So we said that was fine we would pay for those things and he refunded my card for the remainder.

But when we left he must have canceled the refund transaction, because still today 4 months later I do not have my money back and my credit card company is trying to get it back.
    I have emailed them several times asking for my money back, and they have ignored each one.

And to top it off my friend's bed had bed bugs, and she had bites all over her legs!

So by no means would I ever recommend such a horrible hotel, where they steal your money!!

Please stay somewhere else, they stole my money and i can't get it back!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines