Monteverde Travel Answers

change location

Hotel El Parador

by digitaldisaster Online Now Jul 7, 2004 at 11:40 AM

Is anyone familiar with this hotel? Also, we are going in August and wonder how bad the weather will be. Are we correct is assuming the mosquitos are pretty bad, and if so, whats the most effective repellent? I see people mention long slacks versus shorts - what should we take? Thank you! Bob

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • gcmm's Profile Photo

Re: Hotel El Parador

by gcmm Online Now Jul 8, 2004 at 3:26 AM

Monteverde is in the cloud forest are so you are going to get rain. the roads are terrible. Are you staying in monteverde the whole time. Nice little town, they have a nice cooffe shop on main street and shopping is not bad there. The grocery store on the corner has just about everything and good prices on gifts. I don't no about doing the skytrek canopy tour at that time of year. i would check and try to do it on a day when the weather is nice. it is a great experiance if you don't mind heights. even if you do you can get through it with the guides, my wife hates heights and made it through some how. I don't no about the bugs at that time of year. but shorts and long pants are a good idea. we like the Zip off kind of sweet pants.(no lining) it it still going to be warm but up there it will get cool. Have a great time.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Suzie3's Profile Photo

by Suzie3 Online Now Jul 8, 2004 at 6:03 PM

Anything with Deet is good. Have it handy and if you see mosquitos do use it. My friend came back from CR last year with Dengue and it was not pretty. He was very sick. Better safe than sorry if using spray will prevent it. August is getting into the rainy season although there is always a chance for morning sun or at least dry weather. Might even get lucky and have a day or two without rain. Most people try not to let the rain interfer. There is still so much to see and do. If in Santa Elena (the town) and you want to go on a canopy tour you may end up on a walking canopy tour rather than a zip tour but on the bright side...you are more likely to actually see something. I would like to recommend El Sapo Dorado in the Santa Elena area. It is close to town and some of the areas sights. From there you can go to Monteverde Reserve in one direction or the Santa Elena Reserve and sky trek in the other. Temps in Santa Elena/Monteverde run between 60's - 70's most of the time. It can get windy adding a wind chill. It can also get into the 80's. Generally I plan on a light long sleeved shirt to wear under a light rain jacket/wind breaker if it gets cool. Long pants would be good to have for those cooler days/nights. When you get down the mountain it will get quite a bit warmer and shorts will come in handy there. costarica.com has a good weather site.

• VallartaVicki's Profile Photo

by VallartaVicki Online Now Jul 17, 2004 at 9:02 PM

I have a BIG schpeel (8,300 characters & we're only allowed 2047 here) on mosquitos. If you're interested in it, e- me at Vicki@DoinitRight.com Here's just a little sample of it: MOSQUITO'S - POSSIBLE REMEDIES TO WARD OFF MOSQUITO’S (I’m not recommending, just sharin’ info!): TO PUT ON YOUR BODYoINGEST: The BEST thing I’ve found that works on me (& mosquito’s even eat through my clothes!! Unfortunately they LOVE me!!) is a NATURAL product that smells WONDERFULLY called Celeste Aromatherapy Insect Repel (www.CelesteAromatherapy.com). It has Eucalyptus & Cedarwood in it!! Avon Skin-So-Soft (one of the BEST insect repellants!) repellent or their bath oil (VERY thick/sticky but MUCH cheaper than the repellent & I believe basically the same or close to it) o Tea Tree Oil/Melaleuca (put in your sunscreen) o Deet is THE STRONGEST stuff out there but it’s MEGA toxic!! Look for mosquito repellant with AT LEAST 30% DEET (Off’s Deep Woods for Sportsmen has 95% deet & claims to protect for up to 10 hours!) o Natural Insect Protection "Cactus Juice"!! Made with the Prickly Pear Cactus, natures plant of choice for protection from biting insects. Protects from sand fleas, no-see-ums, black flies, gnats & mosquitoes with no harmful chemicals (thanx Chiulo!) o B-12 o B Complex o B-6 o B-1 - 100mg twice a day, 1-2 days before arrival o taken 10+ days before you travel I’ve heard helps even more!! (seems like those “B’s” are great!!) o Brewers Yeast 7-10 days before traveling + take while there o Garlic tablets & eat LOTS of garlic (not sure about that one as while in Florida in ’01 the night before I made a roast with about 50 garlic cloves & ate LOTS of them & STILL the mosquito’s found their way to me!! Guess I’m just soooo sweet!!) o Maria says she gets “Atun” at Rizo’s & that’s even kept mosquitos away from her in Yelapa!!! Lionel says “Skin Tastic” & Cutter Insect Repellent works on him!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines