Monterrey Travel Answers

change location

Is it safe to drive from McAllen, TX to Monterrey?

by alexiam Online Now Mar 11, 2010 at 5:57 AM

Just recently, the US issued a warning about traveling between Monterrey and Texas, but my friend and I have already bought our tickets to McAllen. We are thinking of hiring a driver to come and get us and take us to Monterrey. Has anyone driven on the toll road lately? I know the US has a warning but thousands of people travel this road everyday, and I want to know, realistically, how safe it is. We would be going on the Mission bridge to avoid Reynosa completely.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • juliogg's Profile Photo

Re: Is it safe to drive from McAllen, TX to Monterrey?

by juliogg Online Now Mar 11, 2010 at 2:27 PM

You should be fine. It is a very traveled highway. Just do it in daylight. Many times US warnings are "over the top". Incidents of violence have to do between drug related groups. If you are not involved then you have nothing to fear "but fear itself". I would not be put off.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 11, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Agree with julio. U.S. warnings are highly over rated. You will be just fine. I have driven through Mexico on a couple of occasions and did just fine. Like you said, thousands drive the road on a daily basis, - why would you be picked out of the crowd. I would no more worry about it, then driving the Los Angeles freeways. Enjoy the ride!!

• Re: Is it safe to drive from McAllen, TX to Monterrey?

by TexmexDave Online Now Apr 1, 2014 at 1:37 PM

I travel to Monterrey quite frequently from McAllen. I cross at the Anzalduas Bridge in Mission, then take the toll road to Monterrey and I've never had a problem nor safety concern per se. And yes, travel warnings are a bit inflated. I've lived in Dallas before and didn't feel safer there than when I'm in Monterrey. Travel early and you'll have a pleasant trip and stay in Monterrey.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Apr 1, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Hey Texmex and welcome to VT.........d:o)

Note the date on the last response.........it was 4 years ago.........d:o)

Stick around, I bet you will like it here........

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines