Monterosso al Mare Travel Answers

change location

transporatation between cruise ships at La Spezia and Monterosso

by NHnerdgirl Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 6:53 AM

How easy is it to travel to Monterosso, are trains/buses frequent or reliable. Don't want to miss my boat. Travelling this July.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

Re: transporatation between cruise ships at La Spezia and Monterosso

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I can't answer about the buses, but check trenitalia.com (be sure to click on the English Flag when you get to the page to see things in English if that is your main language).

I did a quick search for you and saw that 2 types of trains run service between La Spezia Centrale (main train station) and Monterosso. Regionale and Intercity.

The Regionale trains are 2,70 Euros each way and run every 70 minutes or so, with the trip varying from 17 to 23 minutes.

The Intercity trains are less frequent cost 7 Euros but only take 14 minutes. In my search I saw 2 trains leaving La Spezia at 10:40 a.m. and 12:40 p.m.

My wife and I took the Regionale train last year between La Spezia and Riomaggiore.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Lots of trains. Each 5 Terre village has a train station. Do you have transport from the train station to the port?

Be the first to rate this answer!

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM

they are usually reliable the trains - but every so often they are not

our australain vt member sirgaw had all sorts of problems with trains (think it was a strike) when he was in the area

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 10:59 AM

In my experience ( I use Italian trains whenever I visit) the service is indeed reliable, and you have many departure options from Monterosso to La Spezia.

You can check train times, details and fares in English on the official Italian railway website:

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

The vast majority of strikes are now announced well in advance (wildcat strikes are much, much rarer than they were a few years ago) so you can check your dates on this site:

cgsse.it/web/guest/scioperi-...

If the worst comes to the worst Monterosso is only about 20 miles from La Spezia, so a taxi won't be hugely expensive. You could always, if you are worried about taking the trains (I wouldn't be), just book a taxi transfer in advance.

If you do take the train you will find plenty of taxis waiting outside La Sp station to take you down to the cruise port.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Monterosso al Mare