Monterey Travel Answers

change location

Whale watching companies - any one better than the others?

by Nusha Online Now Aug 6, 2008 at 11:50 AM

I am planning on being in Monterey the last week in August and would like to take a whale watching tour but can't make up my mind regarding which company to go with. Any advice? I realize that there is no guarantee with any of them regarding actually seeing whales, etc...but I am guessing that there is some difference in the quality of service provided overall.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Whale watching companies - any one better than the others?

by usatravels Online Now Aug 6, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Hello

I'd suggest MONTEREY BAY WHALE WATCH
    Int'l +01 (831)-375-4658

Estimated Cost Adults45, children 12 and under35, children 3 and under free.

9 a.m. deparurues are scheduled every day from May 1 through December 12, 2008, afternoon Trips are also scheduled, both esitimated at 4-5 Hrs

Monterey Bay is the best place in the nation to observe a variety of marine mammals and seabirds. Whales often shift feeding locations throughout the season and 4-5 hour trips allow ample time to locate and observe them

That best time is between the summer/fall season (when humpback and blue whales are frequently seen) and the winter/spring season

From late November through mid December when the season is limited to humpback, blue and gray whales

Best wishes

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

Re: Whale watching companies - any one better than the others?

by KimberlyAnn Online Now Aug 6, 2008 at 8:51 PM

I completely agree with the Monterey Bay Watch. We had such an outstanding trip with the Bay Whale Watch! We could not decide whether to take this trip of the trip offered by their next door neighbor. We left at the same time as the other company. We were out for 3 hours, they were out for 2 and a half. We saw whales up close in our last half hour, while the other company's tour was back at the dock. We had an actual marine biologist aboard; they had a marine naturalist aboard. The Monterey Bay Watch group has determined that 3 hours is better than less time as it give them more opportunity to find and observe the whales. They guaranteed whales. If you did not see any, then your next trip is free so that you have a second chance at spotting whales. They do not, of course, guarantee how close you will get to the whales. So spotting whales even from a distance counts as having seen whales. With gray whales it is rare that you get the close up view, although when we were out a couple came right up to the boat. We were LUCKY. Because of the different seasons, and the different whales that are in the area, schedules vary. In the summer when the humpback and blue whales are in the area you may choose from a 3 to 4 hour tour or a 4 to 5 tour.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines