Monterey Travel Answers

change location

Monterey first-timers

by m_ady Online Now Mar 20, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Hello: I need some advice on what to wear while in Monterey,California during the first week of April. and also what restaurants offer quality foods. thanks

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

Re: Monterey first-timers

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 20, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Those April showers bring May flowers holds true for the middle of the week. It will be around the mid 60 F range during the day, and then the cool ocean winds kick in after dark gets the temps down to the 48/52 F range. Bring an umbrella for Wednesday/Thursday. As for restaurants with quality foods, I suggest you look next door in Pacific Grove for two excellent restaurants; Fishwife (Seafood/Pasta) and PassionFish (Caribbean cuisine). Better yet in Carmel-by-the-Sea, just a little further down the road, are two European cuisine gourmet restaurants; Casanova and Anton & Michel. All four need reservations made ahead of time to assure you a table.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GracesTrips's Profile Photo

by GracesTrips Online Now Mar 20, 2008 at 3:36 PM

When I visited Monterey, it was in April. It should be pretty cool and slightly breezy. Dress in layers because the in sun, it's nice and warm. The shade will be quite cold. It might be overcast in the morning but it will burn off and the sun should be shining by the afternoon.

Lots of a great restaurants in Monterey. You might look at my favorite website for info and making reservations:

www.opentable.com

• SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Mar 20, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Most definitely go to Carmel while at Monterey. It is one of the cutest villages by the sea. Feels like Olde England......totally charming.

• trvlrtom's Profile Photo

by trvlrtom Online Now Mar 20, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Hey, we are going there this weekend! I always bring a few layers to wear, because you never know what it will be like. Even on nice days the mornings often are foggy.
    Plenty of good restaurant options in both Monterey and Carmel. VT pages are full of them.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

by Ewingjr98 Online Now Mar 21, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Welcome to my adopted hometown. You should enjoy it... and the weather has been great lately: sunny and warm with daytime temps in the 60s. A little breezy at times, a little rain here and there, but almost summer weather.

Places to eat in and around Monterey are plentiful. If you like seafood, I recommend Phil's Fish Market in quaint Moss Landing as well as the Monterey Fish House and Fishwife... all non-touristy and casual with spectacular food. Passionfish, as previously recommended, is indeed a good place and a bit fancier.

Great breakfasts in Monterey can be found at Great Awakenings (actually in Pacific Grove), Old Monterey Cafe on Alvarado St, and Lou Lou's Griddle in the Middle for a diner with a view.

Other places that are great, but kind of away from the tourist crowds are Tarpy's Roadhouse, Ol' Factory Cafe in Sand City, Point Joe's on North Fremont St. Whaling Station on Cannery Row is the area's best and most expensive steaks, while Willie's Smoke house, also on Cannery Row, has great BBQ.

There are hundreds of restaurants around, so let us know your tastes and where you are staying, and we'll be glad to give you some more options.

Joe

• Av8trxx's Profile Photo

by Av8trxx Online Now Apr 6, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Bring layers and prepare for it to be in the mid 50's April 6-12, 2008.
    It gets windy and can be quite chilly in the breeze.

A great place to eat is Montrio near the wharf Marriott on Calle Principal.
    If you are renting a car, drive down to Nepenthe- http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines