Monterey Travel Answers

change location

Camping or cheap hostel in Monterey

by marcel_naue Online Now Dec 2, 2004 at 1:40 AM

Hi, me and my GF are stopping one night in Monterey on our way from LA to SF. Can you recommend any places where we can camp (is it advisable in January?) or a cheap hostel? TIA, Marcel

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Camping or cheap hostel in Monterey

by ltt Online Now Dec 3, 2004 at 10:47 AM

i'm no expert but since you haven't received any replies...as far as i know, there are no hostels in this area. january would be a slow time (unless there's golf tournaments) so you might be able to find a motel for around60+. january is iffy for camping. obviously it will be chilly day and night which may be tolerable when dry. however, if the area gets lots of rain, it usually happens in january. personally, it wouldn't appeal to me.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Camping or cheap hostel in Monterey

by ppethoe Online Now Jul 30, 2006 at 8:25 AM

There's a very nice hostel in Monterey at 778 Hawthorne St., about four blocks up from the Aquarium. It's located behind Kinkos on Lighthouse.
    The hostel has 45 beds, cost is20/night plus 10% tax. Non-members pay3 more. Several private family rooms are available for about60 to70. Reservation for those are advised, especially when there are special events in the area, when hotel and motel rates skyrocket. Lots of free parking.
    The hostel opens at 5pm, curfew is now 1AM, daytime access for continuing guests.
    A very large common room has very comfortable couches. The kitchen in the morning is the primary gathering spot, with self-serve pancakes. There's plenty of hot showers, two tokens will get you six minutes, saving water.
    The toilets are half-gallon compressed air assist, also to save water. Whoosh!
    Just like other accommodations, two day Aquarium tickets are for sale, although not cheap,it's well worth it.
    It's preferred you make hostel reservations on line, www.montereyhostel.com
    This non-profit hostel is associated with HI, Hostelling International, insuring quality standards, sometimes lacking at independent hostels.
    If you're driving on the weekends buy a Herald paper, show the real estate open house section (or yard sale)to the guard when entering Pebble Beach 17mile Drive area so you save8 entrance fee.
    There's another nice HI hostel in Santa Cruz.
    Peter P., volunteer at HI-Monterey and HI-Santa Cruz.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines