Montego Bay Travel Answers

change location

Sandals Carlyle Inn/Safety in Montego Bay for African-Americans

by dhill05 Online Now May 9, 2010 at 3:03 AM

My Husand & I & another couple are staying at this resort on May 20,2010. We would like to know if anyone has any advice/warnings about this resort & also safety & shopping in Montego Bay.We are African-Americans & we have heard that the locals aren't to fond of African-Americans?

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Durfun's Profile Photo

Re: Sandals Carlyle Inn/Safety in Montego Bay for African-Americans

by Durfun Online Now May 9, 2010 at 4:25 AM

Not true re the cold reception. Jamaica is Afro-American, & now things have changed. Don't worry, yiu'll be fine.

Several of my Afro-Am friends just returned from there & had a thorough blast!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now May 9, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Well, I am partial to Jamaica, having lived there for a while back in the day. I have also taken my African American wife there several times and always been greeted with "niceness', so, nutin' lik one love in Jah Town bwoy. Dem bloodclots no goin' botha you. Dem people talkin' 'bout JA, know not what dem talkin' 'bout.

So go ahead and enjoy my Jamaica. I will add this. Most people that go to Jamaica, never go to Kingston, ususally due to being told that it is dangerous. It is no more dangerous than say, New York. If you have not been to Kingston, you really have not been to Jamaica. Yes I am biased, I spent considerable time in Jah Town. Being a huge reggae fan, to miss the Bob Marley Museum is a crime. However this may not be what you want, but I would not be true to my Jamaica if I did not include it.

bobmarley-foundation.com/mus...

http://www.tuffgong.com/

http://web.bobmarley.com/index.jsp

One love! Peace out!

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now May 9, 2010 at 5:16 PM

The majority of the residents of Jamaica are of African descent so I don't know why they would have an issue with Americans of African descent. Unless, perhaps, they call the residents African Americans which they are not.

We go to Montego Bay every year and have never had any problems, we prefer to leave the resort with someone who knows the country, others seem to do fine on their own. You'll be fine shopping by yourself in Montego Bay, the vendors at the craft market can be a little aggressive but nothing to be overly concerned with.

• Re: Sandals Carlyle Inn/Safety in Montego Bay for African-Americans

by BADK Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Dabs:
    Which resort would you recommend? We are looking for a resort to travel to in January, we will have our young son with us.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Jul 21, 2010 at 9:05 AM

I don't travel with young kids but the resort we stay at, Sunset Beach, always seems to have a lot of them. It's a mid budget all inclusive, it's not fancy but we find it to be adequate for what we are looking for. You can see reviews of it on my Montego Bay page.

Should you want to go to stay in Negril, you might have a look at Beaches which has a kid's program, my in laws have stayed there and thought it was nice.

beaches.com/main/ng/ng-home....

You might also try googling montego bay resorts with kids programs, the Holiday Inn Sunspree comes up as does the Riu Montego Bay, Sunset Beach where we stay, FDR Pebbles, etc.

by BADK Online Now Jul 22, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Thank you so much for the info Dabs!

by omarspence Online Now Dec 31, 2011 at 11:41 AM

This is a myth, Jamaicans are welcoming people, regardless of ethnicity. 90% of the population is either of African decent or mixed with African decent. As for safety, the same precautions apply here as with any city in the US. And with any other destination, treat local residents with respect and you will be met with the same.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Dec 31, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Omar mi brethren, - welcome to VT......d:o)

Just in case you have not seen the date of the question, - you are over a year and a half late with your response.....

Still, navigating VT can be fun, and it takes time to get all the nuances. Good luck, and again welcome to VT.

by dhill05 Online Now Jan 1, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Thanks but I've already been twice & plan on going back again this year. We were treated lovely. Thanks anyway.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Montego Bay