Montecatini Terme Travel Answers

change location

5 days in Montecatini Terme with a 2-year-old

by yulasta Online Now May 11, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Does it make sense? How can I entertain my son in MT?

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: 5 days in Montecatini Terme with a 2-year-old

by mccalpin Online Now May 11, 2012 at 8:48 AM

It's true that I haven't been in Montecatini Terme for 20+ years, but outside of going to the various spas, I am not sure what else there is to do other than walking up and down the long slope that town sits on.

On the other hand, I am not sure what would entertain a 2-year-old...it's quite possible that he may thoroughly enjoy just walking up and down the street and people watching in a bar or cafe (yeah, bars are different in Italy ;-) ).

I would rather ask you what YOU are going to do for 5 days in Montecatini Terme. Besides the spas, it's mostly known for overflow hotels for Florence (which is how I got there in the first place). Is there a reason you wanted to be there for 5 days?

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now May 11, 2012 at 9:59 AM

You can very easily entertain your son in the exactly the same way as you would entertain him at home: going for walks, looking at shop windows, looking at dogs, reading books, playing....

At 2, your son really does not care where he is as long as he is with the people he loves and who make him feel secure.

I suspect he might enjoy some of the activities on offer at Termeland:

http://www.parcotermeland.it/

on Viale Bicchierai and possibly a trip to Pinocchio Park (you might like it too) in nearby Pescia:

http://www.pinocchio.it/eng/

You could go by train, which would also be interesting and exciting for your son....even though it only takes 6 minutes or so!

Train times, details and fares in English:

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

If you have a stroller/pushchair/buggy with you (as I assume you will have) I suggest you use the train to visit other places nearby...for your own interest, rather than your son (he won't be bothered one way or the other). You could, for example, visit lovely Lucca and Pisa very easily. Or make a trip to the beach at Viareggio (perhaps not a good idea if you are travelling at the height of summer: a beach may be too hot for more than a short stay with a toddler, imo).

• qaminari's Profile Photo

by qaminari Online Now May 11, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I'm not sure how entertaining a 2-year old is place-specific - he can't yet have that many toys to miss, can he? In what way would the situation be different from home? Give him a cardboard box to pull apart!
    Otherwise, if you will have access to a car, there is a zoo and "Wonder Park" (with "soft area for children aged 0-3: http://www.wonderpark.it/parco.php) in Pistoia, a butterfly house pinocchio.it/eng/butterflyho... and Pinnochio Park in San Gennaro Collodi (/Pescia), all about 10 km away from Montecatini Terme.

• Re: 5 days in Montecatini Terme with a 2-year-old

by yulasta Online Now Jun 1, 2012 at 3:53 AM

Thanks for your reply.
    You read my mind: walking long distances is of little interest for our Theo. We definitely need the beach! :)

by yulasta Online Now Jun 1, 2012 at 3:56 AM

Thank you for your detailed reply, dear leics.
    If and when we end up in MT, your information will be of great use to us. But I think for a vacation with a toddler sea area would be preferrable entertainment-wise.

by yulasta Online Now Jun 1, 2012 at 3:58 AM

That is! I'm looking for something different than home - and it looks like we are not making it without the seaside :)
    Anyway, thank you very much for your tips for MT. Who knows where life may take us!

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Jun 1, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Well, if you want a beach, you definitely don't want Montecatini Terme...

Bill

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Umm...yes. I'm a bit confused about how the question began with '5 days in Montecatini Terme'...it's clearly not as definite as it appeared to be.

Hmmmm......

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Montecatini Terme