Montecatini Terme Travel Answers

change location

Tourist Bus Restrictions

by pmayerowitz Online Now Jan 24, 2011 at 9:19 AM

I was informed that there are certain restrictions on tourist buses departing hotels during school hours. As I would like to stay in a location which does not have such restrictions can anyone provide any details on where and how these restrictions are applicable to tourist buses? Thank you.

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Tourist Bus Restrictions

by mccalpin Online Now Jan 24, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Could you tell us where you heard this? Also, are traveling on a tour? I was wondering why a solo traveler (if such you are) would be concerned about what time tour buses run, but if you're on a tour, the hotel will surely be chosen for you.

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 24, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Like Bill, I'm also a bit confused.

By 'tourist buses' do you mean the type of bus which takes a group around? Or do you simply mean local buses which may be taken by visitors to explore the area?

In the latter case I am certain there will be no special restrictions. In the former, if you are part of a tour group then you need not worry as it will be sorted out for you.

Or perhaps you are the driver/guide for a privately-organised group hiring a 'bus' (minibus) and concerned about taking your group out for the day from your hotel base? In that case I suggest you email the hotel where you will be staying and ask them if there will be any restrictions which might affect you during your stay.

• Re: Tourist Bus Restrictions

by pmayerowitz Online Now Jan 24, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Friends took a Collette tour and had to walk about 15 minutes each morning to board their tour bus. They were advised by the tour guide that buses were not permitted in that section of town and that they had to leave town by 8:15 am because tour buses were not permitted during the hours that school buses were operating.

I had heard of restricting buses to sections of town but never anything about school buses. Neither of these restrictions can be found anywhere on the web.

by mccalpin Online Now Jan 24, 2011 at 10:09 PM

OK, so it sounds like there are narrow streets or some logistical problem that causes the authorities to order this...I would not have thought that Montecatini would have had this problem since it's not some medieval town - I seem to remember some broad streets there...

But, I guess I have to wonder, why does this matter to you? If you are on a tour, you'll be told what hotel to stay in, and if you're not on a tour, you won't be taking a tour bus...what am I missing? Oh, are you wanting to select a tour based on what hotels they will stay in? Hmmmn, I guess that would make sense, although tours often change hotels at the last minute for a variety of reasons...is it perhaps that you would have difficulty walking those 15 minutes? On flat ground, you can walk 3/4s of a mile (although Montecatini is NOT flat)- that's practically across town there...

Bill

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 24, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Now this has been clarified I think the best option is to contact each tour operator directly and ask specifically about this aspect.

If they regularly use hotels which require 15 minutes walking before accessing the bus (which does seem very odd...I wonder if your friends misunderstood, or were spun a line?)) then they will know and tell you, and you can make the decision based on that information.

Best if you can email rather than phone, because then you will have it written down in advance.

• Manara's Profile Photo

by Manara Online Now Jan 25, 2011 at 5:48 AM

In Montecatini private buses cannot access the ZTL area (Zona a Traffico Limitato) from 7.50 to 8.20 during the school year. It is just half an hour so tour organizers could easily avoid any inconvenience to their clients by scheduling the departures a bit earlier or a bit later.

• Manara's Profile Photo

by Manara Online Now Jan 25, 2011 at 5:57 AM

I have found a map of the ZTL area in Montecatini. Here it is: montecatiniparcheggi.com/MAP...

It is very small, so it impossible to read street names, however if you take a larger map of the town it should be easy to identify the area.

by mccalpin Online Now Jan 25, 2011 at 7:16 AM

Ah, Anna Maria, thanks for that! Gee, even Montecatini has a ZTL? Ah, no, it's a ZTL only for tourist coaches (unless there's another map). Well, this sounds similar to Assisi, where tour buses are able to go only to certain piazzas, and you walk from there, or Orvieto, where tour buses can't physically go down a lot of streets...the details of the rules in Montecatini are explained in English for tour bus operators at
    ttp://www.montecatiniparcheggi.com/EN_%5BBUS_regolamento%5D.cfm

So it sounds like the OP's friend was on a tour that didn't know about this rule. The tour leader set the departure time at X, but then the bus driver discovered the ZTL problem, and rather than wait for the end of the exclusion period, the tour asked the people to walk to the bus...well, it's a guess...

Bill

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 25, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Sounds to me like a very sensible guess, Bill.

So, for the original poster,: it is nothing to do with specific hotel or tour company as such, but everything to do with the internal knowledge and organisation of the particular tour company.

Email them and check.

• Alex_71's Profile Photo

by Alex_71 Online Now Jan 25, 2011 at 11:14 AM

hello
    i live in Montecatini and for sure i can say that at tourist bus is (or should be) not permitted to enter and to be in the ZTL area at the early morning. They have to be parked in some specific area not in the center of town. But don't forget that Montecatini is small so, even if your bus come to take you not at the hotel, you'll never have to walk more then 5-10 mins.
    It'd not be allowed to stop in the middle of the streets for make tourists come down from bus 'couse in this way all the traffic goes mad but..this rule is not really applicated most of time.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Montecatini Terme