Montecatini Terme Travel Answers

change location

Railway Station in Monticatini Terme

by metroman Online Now Jul 17, 2010 at 5:13 PM

My Wife and I are staying in Monticatini Terme in early September. Is there a railway station in Monticatini Terme? I was told that the railway station was in Chuisi, a town a little distance from Monticatini Terme. Thanks
Martin

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • bekerovka's Profile Photo

Re: Railway Station in Monticatini Terme

by bekerovka Online Now Jul 17, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Hy,
    there are two railway stations in Montecatini: Montecatini Centro and Montecatini Terme, both close the center. They are on the railway line Florence-Viareggio.
    Chiusi-Chianciano is 180 kms away from Montecatini, on the Florence-Rome railway!!! Or are you speaking about Chianciano Terme?
    Timetables and fares here: ferroviedellostato.it/homepa...
    Ciao, Marco

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Jul 17, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Marco is surely correct. Montecatini Terme is not only a destination in itself (spas), but is used as an overflow for Florence (spa towns have lots of hotels) when it fills up.

On the other hand, while I like Chiusi, it is not such a destination (unless you like Etruscans) and I've never even been to Chianciano Terme...and the train station called Chiusi-Chianciano Terme is 15 km (9 miles) from Chianciano Terme anyway, being in Chiusi Scalo (right next door to Chiusi).

If you're in Montecatini Terme, be sure to spend Saturday evening in the main square (Piazza del Popolo? - sorry, I didn't catch the name of the square), where everybody in town comes out to sit in the outdoor cafes and walk around the piazza, to see and be seen - I hope they still do that...a real Mediterranean ritual that is disappearing from the larger cities (because of too many squares, if nothing else ;-) )...

Bill

• alza's Profile Photo

by alza Online Now Jul 17, 2010 at 11:16 PM

hi Martin,
    If indeed closest railway station to your Terme town is Chiusi, then you're probably talking of Chianciano Terme. The station serving Chianciano Terme is Chiusi/Chianciano Terme, about 15k from the Centre. The Railway Line is that of Naples-Rome-Florence-Milan, connections are frequent and serviced also by long-distance trains. From the station, you can reach Chianciano Terme by Pullman buses or taxi in less than half an hour.

information on schedules and prices: www.ferroviedellostato.it

I spent a long afternoon in Chianciano Terme in June, Felliniesque! a place arrested in time... you line up to get a glass of heavy looking water, you're told not to drink it all, the effects are strong, it's to help the liver I think...
    you sit on an iron chair in the park and watch grandma dance the tango with great aunt Zelda. Granpa is talking to his friends. There's a live band under the small bandstand, singing Argentine tango songs.

there's a fantastic Etruscan Museum in the other part of town, the old town.

Got a complete booklet on the place, that's where I found the info about railway station. The town has a website but I only found it in Italian. Might be useful, here's the link.

vivichiancianoterme.it/spip....

now be careful that whoever mentioned Chiusi to you knows about both Montecatini Terme AND Chianciano...
    all the best!

• Re: Railway Station in Monticatini Terme

by metroman Online Now Jul 18, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Thanks. I have got it wrong. We are actually staying in Chianciano Terme for 5 days and we are staying in Monticatini Terme for 2 days. Whilst we are in Chianciano Terme we have some free time and thought that we could visit somewhere else.
    Martin

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Jul 18, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Well, with 5 days in Chianciano Terme, you will certainly have the opportunity to knock around the neighborhood.

See lfi.it/servizi_linee_lfi_si-... for the bus routes from here to places like Montepulciano, Siena, Chiusi, etc. The line T/5 (see F_T5) runs from Chianciano to Chiusi Scalo (literally "Chiusi Stop" because that's where the train station is); there may be others. But in the immediate neighborhood, especially to the west, I think you'll find the buses more convenient.

Bill

• Re: Railway Station in Monticatini Terme

by metroman Online Now Jul 18, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Thanks very much for that info.
    Martin

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Montecatini Terme