Montecatini Terme Travel Answers

change location

Montecatini Terme to Venice

by JoAnnMitchell Online Now May 9, 2010 at 3:40 PM

I am at a loss. I will be staying in Montecantini Terme in November and I want to get to Venice for a day. Do I take the bus? Do I take the Train? Help...

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • qaminari's Profile Photo

Re: Montecatini Terme to Venice

by qaminari Online Now May 9, 2010 at 5:07 PM

It takes 3 1/2 hours by train from Montecatini-Terme to Venice (Venezia Santa Lucia), changing in Florence. You can check timetable on reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/qu....

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now May 9, 2010 at 10:43 PM

As I noted on your previous post, you can find all Italian train times, details and fares in English on

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

The Italian railway netwrok is extensive, trains are safe and comfortable and services often very frequent...and fares reasonable. There are some long-distance buses in Italy, but taking the train is almost always better (and quicker).

Montecatini Terme > Venice takes around 3.5 hours, with a change of train in Florence. One-way fare 45.60 euro.

Venice Santa Lucia (SL) is the statio actually in Venice proper. VeniceMestre is at the mainland end of the causeway: there are regular trains and buses over the causeway from Mestre.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now May 10, 2010 at 8:07 AM

As you can see, the total train time for a day trip is something around 7 hours. This is because it's going to take you an hour just to get to Florence on the regional train from Montecatini Terme.

As leics said, it'll cost you about 45 euro each way if you take the "normal" route (regional train to Florence and high speed train to Venice). That's a lot of money for a few hours in Venice, methinks. And at that, you would leave Montecatini at 08:01 and not arrive in Venice until 11:33...so, lunch and a few hours in the afternoon before you have to come back home.

2 other choices:
    (1) spend the night in Venice. Even though hotels in Venice are notoriously expensive, there is such magic in being able to walk down the narrow, car-free streets of the city late at night. Daytrippers don't get to enjoy Venice as it really is.
    (2) take a very early, convoluted route to/from Venice:
    (2.1) leave Montecatini at 05:36 (yes, at least a couple of hours before dawn), change at Prato and Bologna, and arrive in Venice at 10:03...and the price is only 15.50 euro one way(!).
    (2.2) leave Venice at 17:57, change at Bologna and Prato, and arrive in Montecatini at 22:57...again, for only 15.50 euro.

You'll have 8 hours in Venice (unfortunately, something like 9 hours on the train), but the total cost will be 31 euro, not 90+.

As for eating, on the way to Venice, you'll have a layover of a little more than an hour in Bologna (06:16 to 07:26) and about 40 minutes on the way back (20:04 to 20:44, if I remember correctly)...you can almost certainly go to the bar or restaurant in the station and get something to go (it would not be uncommon for a bar to sell panini, bread, fruit, bottles of wine and water, etc.), and if that doesn't suit, just outside the front door of the station is a (gasp) McDonalds.

But while this routing is an adventure...staying the night would be more fun...

Bill

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Montecatini Terme