Montecatini Terme Travel Answers

change location

Bus to Rome?

by amarinucci Online Now Jun 15, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Can anyone advise me where is the bus station in montecatini? I want to travel to Rome after my stay in Montecatini. It was suggested to me that the bus would be a lot easier than trying to transfer trains and lugging my suitcases,etc.
I have been unsuccessful in securing this info on line. Please help me get to Rome from Montecatini. By the way, we are staying at the Grand Vittoria Hotel.
Thanks.
Angela

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Bus to Rome?

by leics Online Now Jun 15, 2009 at 11:48 AM

I would have thought the train would be easy enough, personally......faster, and more comfortable.

You only have to change once, at Florence Santa Maria Novella station (flat, simple to navigate, clear signage)...then it's a straight ride to Rome Termini.

ferroviedellostato.it/homepa...

will give you train times,details and fares in English.

I am still looking for information on a bus which runs from Montecatini to Rome......

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • nicolaitan's Profile Photo

by nicolaitan Online Now Jun 15, 2009 at 12:46 PM

definitely agree - go with the train.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 15, 2009 at 12:48 PM

We agree! :-)

Haven't found any bus info yet. Suspect you may need to change buses at, e.g. Florence anyway.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Jun 15, 2009 at 1:10 PM

www.italybus.it (a website that looks at all bus companies) does not show a Montecatini to Rome bus, and this is not surprising. Because the train system in Italy is so well developed, buses are not available for many long distance trips - that is, there are long distance buses, but they don't go everywhere; mostly they go from population centers in the South to work centers in the North - Montecatini is neither.

So, I would do just what Lew and J have suggested - take the train. Yes, you will have to handle your own luggage - I hope you didn't overpack. "Overpack" means that you can't carry all your luggage by yourself at one time. Sadly, porters are very rare in Italian train stations, although I suppose Florence might have some...somewhere...but you'd probably have to leave your luggage to find one...it's a problem...

As for the train station in Montecatini, it's at the bottom of the hill (the long hill that all the hotels are on). It is likely that the bus terminus is close by; this is typical in most Italian towns, for good reason.

Another possibility that J alluded to would be to take a bus from Montecatini to Florence (I suppose there is one; I'd have to go look), then take a bus or train to Rome...but you still have the same problem of lugging your luggage around from bus to bus or bus to train in Florence...

Bill

by nicolaitan Online Now Jun 15, 2009 at 1:34 PM

the train station is on the main road east out of town near the autostrada and removed from the town center and all the hotels, so the poster will have to take a taxi anyway. much too far to walk with bags from any of the hotels.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Jun 15, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Granted, Lew, it's been 24 years since I was in the Montecatini train station, but did they move it? When I was there in 1985, it was close to the town square, which was at the base of the hill from which the main road led up the hill pass all the hotels. We walked both ways...hmmmmn....well, we were just doing a 2 day trip out of Rome to Florence, so we didn't have that much luggage...

Bill

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jun 15, 2009 at 2:09 PM

the train would be better, but if you really prefer a bus, look at here
    http://www.statturismo.com

timetable here (#10 #11)
    statturismo.com/pdf/OrarioGe...

there is also the possibility to take a bus in Montecatini to Siena and then a change bus to Rome, in this moment I do not remember who does the service.

by nicolaitan Online Now Jun 15, 2009 at 3:06 PM

hi, bill - we first visited in the late 80's and it was alongside the road from the highway as i recall.

by nicolaitan Online Now Jun 15, 2009 at 3:46 PM

okay folks i did what i should have done two or three hours ago and got a map of the town. there are two stations, one south of the hotels at the bottom of the hill as bill described and one along the road to the autostrada which we saw because we had a rental car. i think either way, since i looked up where the hotel is located as long as i had the map there, a taxi will be required.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Montecatini Terme