Monte-Carlo Travel Answers

change location

Please help with travel from Nice airport to Monte Carlo at night

by enlehman76 Online Now Sep 11, 2007 at 4:22 PM

My husband and I are staying in Monte Carlo for 3 nights and 2 full days. We want to explore the coast (Cannes, Nice, Eze, Menton) and have been told by friends to rent a car vs taking trains, etc. We are flying in to Nice airport around 9pm and were going to rent a car at the airport and drive to Monte Carlo so that we have the car for the next 2 days of our trip. Is it safe to drive from the airport to Monte Carlo at night? Also, our flight out is at 7:45am and we were debating whether or not to return the car to the airport that morning or drop it in Monte Carlo the day before? Is the Nice airport really busy where it would take alot of time to drop the car off----woud it be better to take a taxi back? Thanks!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • nomad7890's Profile Photo

Re: Please help with travel from Nice airport to Monte Carlo at night

by nomad7890 Online Now Sep 11, 2007 at 5:46 PM

If you're OK driving on narrow hills, then I guess a car would be fine, but if you're flying in and out of Nice, logistically I would be based in Nice and pick up and return the car there.

Personally I would not drive to Monte Carlo at night - it's not a good idea after a very long flight to drive in an unknown place (my company does not encourage this behavior because of many accidents). Why not find a place with a shuttle to the airport and drop the car off the night before you fly out - this would probably save you a day's car rental.

Eze is particularly hilly and difficult to find a parking spot on - but possibly November is better.

It's a beautiful area - enjoy!

Nomad

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Please help with travel from Nice airport to Monte Carlo at night

by ddijak Online Now Feb 10, 2010 at 5:02 PM

It is safe to drive from Nice to Monte Carlo at night, if you know the roads and have euros for the tolls. The entry to the A8 from the airport is a bit tricky to find and the Monte Carlo exit off the A8 is a twisty road. There are not many road lights once you get off the major roads. We have dropped off cars very early at the airport to find nobody to check us in- you must drop the key at the rental car desk inside the airport (across the road from the parking lot). I take pictures of the car as proof that there was no damage when nobody checks us in. I don't find Nice airport to be overly busy, but from past experience the rental car places at the airport are a hassle. We now get a limo service to and from the airport and rent a car once we get to Menton.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Monte-Carlo