Montana

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Stoney Indian Pass

Glacier National Park Apr 4, 2014 at 9:52 AM

What kind of snow accumulation can I expect going over Stoney Indian Pass in early July?

1 Answer Apr 4, 2014 at 2:55 PM
    • Ideal Date to Visit

Glacier National Park Apr 4, 2014 at 7:22 AM

What is the best time to visit the park for hiking this year? I am hoping to go first week in august.

3 Answers Apr 14, 2014 at 4:58 PM
    • Yellowstone to Glacier National Park

Glacier National Park Mar 21, 2014 at 7:37 AM

We are driving from Yellowstone to Glacier towing a 20 ft travel trailer. We are concerned as to the elevation and the roads going up. Looks like we will be taking 15 to Helena and 287 to 89.

1 Answer Mar 22, 2014 at 1:06 PM
    • where to stay 34' rv

Glacier National Park Mar 2, 2014 at 3:02 PM

planning a trip to Glacier N P. staying in Fish creek campground, either loop A or B.
      would one be better than the other for a 34' rig?

• Where and how?

Glacier National Park Feb 17, 2014 at 8:36 PM

I want to plan a week long trip to Glacier this July. Where would you recommend I go? What permits and reservations do I need? And how do I obtain them?

Thanks
      Brad

4 Answers Feb 23, 2014 at 5:13 AM
    • Campground reservation

Glacier National Park Feb 17, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Is it too early to make campsite reservation's for mid August,,we will be pulling a small trailer and plan to stay 5 to 6 days. Thanks

1 Answer Feb 17, 2014 at 3:08 PM
    • Snow skiing

Helena Feb 10, 2014 at 5:58 AM

Inexpensive location to go skiing? Inexpensive place to rent or buy ski clothing and accessories?

1 Answer Feb 12, 2014 at 7:02 AM
    • samtin's Profile Photo

Camping and hiking the Bitterroot - from the Idaho border to Missoula

Montana Feb 6, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Hi - We spending about a week travelling this route in July as part of a much longer road trip (we will be driving from Seattle via Wallowa Lake, OR and Ketchum and Stanley, ID). We like to camp and hike but also visit places of interest. I have two questions:
      1. Can anyone recomemnd a nice (reservable) campground in the Hamilton, MT area? We are struggling to find anything we can reserve via reserveamerica or recreationgov and want the security of knowing we have somewhere to pitch the tent. We prefer quiet, natural campsites such as fsda ones (not so worried about fancy facilities). We could consider dispersed camping if permitted in this area but having problems understanding the rules on where we can and cannot camp.

2. We will be researching day hikes (although if anyone can recommend any really good ones that would be great- we are fit and experienced hikers and can cover up to 15 miles in a day) but we're interested to know of any other recommendations for this area - things to do/see. We have visited Big Hole Battlefield on a previous trip.

Thank you very much in advance. Sam from England.

2 Answers Feb 27, 2014 at 11:06 AM
    • Getting around Montana

Montana Jan 25, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Want to see Yellowstone and Glacier and take train back to Chicago from East Glacier. Problem is I can't figure out how to travel from anywhere to East Glacier. For example: They won't let me rent a car in Bozeman and drop it off in East Glacier. Any ideas?

8 Answers Mar 2, 2014 at 12:10 PM
    • Oneill2905's Profile Photo

Montana to Denver

Montana Jan 5, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Hi me and my husband are looking to spend around 3 weeks from the UK travelling from Bozeman to Denver. Our plan is below:

Bozeman x 2/3 nights
      Bozeman to Red Lodge x 1 night
      Red Lodge to Cody via Bear Tooth Highway and Chief Joseph Highway x 1
      Cody to Canyon Village - Yellowstone x 2
      Canyon to Mammoth x 1
      Mammoth to Old Faithful x 2
      Old Faithful to Jackson & GTNP x 3
      Jackson to Lander x 1
      Lander to RMPN x 3
      RMPN to Colorado Springs x 2
      Colorado Springs to Denver x 2

A few questions, ideally we would love to go to the Glacier National Park, but appreciate we cannot do everything I tried to see if we can fit in the Going to the Sun Road but cannot see how without adding lots more mileage? Therefore we would like to spend a few days in Bozeman are there are recommendations on places to visit or hikes to do in or around that area?

I believe that the Grand Teton National park is over an hour to get to from Jackson, is there anywhere else that is closer to stay to get to the park daily or is the trip not too bad?

Finally any recommendations or changes that you would recommend please feel free.

Many thanks in advance.

Kirsty

6 Answers Feb 6, 2014 at 5:30 AM
    • jennyzichterman's Profile Photo

Camp in Many Glacier or St. Mary's campground?

Glacier National Park Dec 29, 2013 at 5:27 PM

We are planning a week-long visit to Glacier in July of 2014. We will spend 3 nights at Fish Creek and then 4 nights on the east side of the park. We would love to stay in Many Glacier CG but arriving early with our gear and kids could be difficult. Is it worth the extra effort to stay in Many Glacier or is a reservable site in St Mary's CG nearly as good?

Thanks!

2 Answers Jan 13, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    • rickd11's Profile Photo

Places to stay

Glacier National Park Dec 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Going to Glacier in early May. I understand that everything may not be full swing, but what would be the closest city to the park that has bars and restaurants that are open. Any hotel suggestions by name would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

5 Answers Jan 8, 2014 at 6:04 AM
    • kabuka's Profile Photo

Trying to see Yellowstone in April

Gardiner Dec 20, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Hello, could anybody tell me what we will be able to see if we arrive to Gardiner, Montana in mid-April? Are there any nature tours at this time of the year?

3 Answers Dec 23, 2013 at 5:50 AM
    • Looking for contact info!

West Yellowstone Nov 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Wondering if anyone knows how to get a hold of the man that runs the small fur shop in the summer on canyon street? Apparently during the winter months he goes back to Idaho falls. Or even if anyone has contact information for Kim Dailey ( not positive on spelling )which is the property owner where the shop is. We visited west yellowstone last summer and my husband had his eye on something in his shop.....he never did buy it.....but what a great Christmas present it would be!! Any help anyone could give me would be super appreciated!! :)

7 Answers Nov 16, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    • redbikegirl's Profile Photo

Sperry Chalet and Granite Park Chalet

Glacier National Park Oct 22, 2013 at 5:38 AM

Sperry Chalet and Granite Park Chalet will start taking reservations on Monday, October 28th. Both Chalets fill up quickly so if you're planning on visiting Glacier next year and considered hiking and staying at one of these historic chalets, make reservations soon. We've stayed overnight at Sperry and hiked to Granite Park Chalet and both are well worth the visit.
      hikinginglacier.blogspot.com...

3 Answers Oct 23, 2013 at 5:32 AM
    • Backcountry backpacking trip

Glacier National Park Oct 20, 2013 at 9:08 PM

5 (college seniors) guys all in good/great physical shape with little to no backpacking experience but lots of outdoor experience are looking to take a backcountry backpacking trip in Glacier National Park. We're looking to spend 5 days and 4 nights (could be flexible) around the first week of June. Any advice would be great as we're just starting to research for the trip.

5 Answers Jan 5, 2014 at 8:44 AM
    • travel information from city to city?

Great Falls Oct 2, 2013 at 6:54 PM

How do I get from Great Falls to Gardiner MT?

3 Answers Oct 3, 2013 at 9:12 AM
    • Worried about things to do from October 13-19 in Big Sky Montana

Big Sky Sep 21, 2013 at 7:36 PM

My husband, son, and 6 and 7 year old grand daughters, and I will be visiting Lake Condominiums in Big Sky, Montana. Yellowstone is fairly close, so we will be traveling there, but will there be anything else to do at that time? It appears that most of the shops and even the restaurants close during the in between time of summer and winter. Any advice?

3 Answers Sep 23, 2013 at 11:18 AM
    • Group with Campers and Kids

Glacier National Park Sep 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM

We are planning a trip for next summer from Seattle. There are 3 groups with med to small trailers and several kids. It will be our first visit to Glacier. What is the best campground for trailers and kids when coming from the west; preferably one which takes reservations. Our thought is to stay there a few nights and explore the park. We have more time, are there other areas of Montana good to explore? Our last stop will be Farragut State Park so something in between would be nice.

2 Answers Nov 22, 2013 at 12:39 AM
    • North Circle Loop aka: Many Glacier Loop

Glacier National Park Sep 11, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Anyone hitting this trail Sept 13 - 18? Me and two ys are. We are just as wondering who's coming.

• Follow-up to previous question

Butte Sep 8, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Just spoke with my Dad. He said that there were actually 3 identical mansions on Granite Street. We rented the one (I believe) was on a corner, which was owned by Mr. and Mrs. Byrd (the town bakers) who lived in the 2nd mansion next door. Dad said that there was also a third mansion next door to the Byrds in which a retired college professor (woman) lived in. The three mansions were not exactly identical, but very, very similar.
      Being small children, we were certain that the mansion was haunted. There were two very small rooms in the gables where we would tell ghost stories and scare ourselves silly. There was also a locked door to a room which had no floor ---this conjured up all sorts of frightening scenarios for us. The huge basement garage with period laundry room was another very eerie part of the home. Dad said Mr. Byrd didn't want to rent it until Dad offered $500/mo which was a lot of money in 1966. We moved their in June 1966 and moved back to Colorado Springs, CO in September 1967. How fortunate we were to have such an amazing experience in Butte, Montana.
      Any info you could share about this home, or the trio, would be greatly appreciated. Brightest Blessings, Anne Decker ---Sedona, AZ

3 Answers Sep 9, 2013 at 5:41 PM
    • 2 identical mansions on Granite St at the top of the Hill.

Butte Sep 8, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Good morning! During 1966-68 my father was transferred to Butte to manage the Social Security office. At that time, all but one of my eight brothers and sisters lived at home, so we needed a large place to rent. We were very fortunate to live in a mansion on a corner (I believe) on Granite St at the top of a hill. We lived next door to Mr. & Mrs. Byrd who owned both homes. They owned and operated the local bakery.
      Although, I was only 6-8 years old, I have vivid memories of this fantastic home...gables, woodwork, fireplaces, basement garage, etc. I was wondering what the address was and if it was still in a state of good repair, as it was in the sixties.
      Also, we have a motorhome and I wondered if you could suggest a good time (and possibly motor home park) of the year to visit Butte.
      We live in Sedona, AZ. My parents live in Clarkdale near Jerome, AZ ---William Clark's other hangout!

1 Answer Sep 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM
    • Camping at seasonally closed campgrounds?

Glacier National Park Sep 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Has anyone had experiences with camping at campgrounds in Glacier that are closed seasonally? My partner and I are going there next week, and a couple of the places we'd planned to go (Avalanche, Rising Sun) will be closed for the season. We'll be on bicycles, so getting around barriers won't be a problem. We're also prepared for bears. But are campgrounds regularly checked by park staff? Thanks!

6 Answers Sep 28, 2013 at 12:17 PM
    • giardia danger

Glacier National Park Aug 26, 2013 at 7:59 PM

does lake mcdonald contain giardia?

2 Answers Aug 27, 2013 at 2:22 AM
    • Overnight parking

Glacier National Park Aug 23, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Can you leave a hard sided travel trailer in Fish Creek campground unattended for the night? We have reservations, but we are going to do a back-country hike. If not, where can you park a trailer to go hiking overnight?

• steve1959's Profile Photo

lodging in sept

Glacier National Park Aug 16, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Planning to visit glacier the second week of Sept and was wondering if hotel rooms would be available on short notice? Not sure what day we will arrive and would like to just get rooms as we go.

3 Answers Aug 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM
    • travelling by public transport-buses/trains

East Glacier Park Aug 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Evening All (anyone!!), I am visiting USA-Sept 2013-and I will have to use public transport. My intention is to see the 'big sky' country in both Montana and Wyoming, is it feasible that I can do this, using buses and or trains?

Any information/advice provided, will be sincerely appreciated,

Thank You,

Aston Villa Frank

4 Answers Aug 16, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    • Is this too ambitious a hike?

Glacier National Park Aug 12, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I'm planning on leaving from Logan's pass, taking the Highline trail to the chalet, then going through switcurrent pass to many glacier, and finally heading to cracker lake to spend the night. Is that too much for one day?

3 Answers Jan 13, 2014 at 5:29 AM
    • Bear Spray

Glacier National Park Jul 31, 2013 at 5:36 AM

I plan to pick up bear spray near West Glacier for a back country hike starting on August 6. I'd welcome ideas on how to acquire it economically. Can I mail it home after the trip? I can't check it on the plane.

13 Answers Sep 25, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    • 3 days in Glacier

Glacier National Park Jul 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I have 3 days to spend in Glacier, driving from Yellowstone, returning home to Portland. How can I make the best use of my time in seeing it all?

2 Answers Jul 9, 2013 at 5:47 AM