Montalcino Travel Answers

change location
SandiM's Profile Photo

Getting to Sant'Antimo

by SandiM Online Now Mar 7, 2010 at 7:54 PM

2 females, 42 & 73 (both car-less), taking a bus from Pienza to Montalcino in hopes of visiting Sant'Antimo in the morning. Can someone suggest a way to get to the Abbey without taking a car? I know of 2 buses to the abbey, but they leave at 710am and then not until 145pm. Our bus from Pienza drops us off around 730am, so we'll miss the first bus and I'm planning to photograph the interior of the Abbey in the morning, with the light streaming in so the 145pm bus won't do. Are there taxis to hire? Or is it possible to hitch a ride? I don't think my mother can handle a walk, if it's very far or very hilly. Suggestions?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: Getting to Sant'Antimo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 7, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Hi. It is all downhill on the way to San Antimo so you might walk that way. It really is not a great distance so a taxi would probably be reasonable. It certainly is worth a consideration. If you are staying in Montalcino, ask your hotel if they know a driver. That is often the easiest and cheapest way if you can't take the bus.

I wish I could help with buses but we have a car so have only driven it. You mother will probably not want to walk back up the hill from the Abbey to Montalcino although I'm nearly 70 and if it weren't terribly hot, the walk would be fine with me. It is very hilly back up though.

Good luck and enjoy your trip. It is a stunning area.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 7, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Banking on 'hitching a ride' is really not a good idea. No guarantee whatsoever that anyone will stop for you.

I believe you are staying in Pienza? If so, you could ask your hotel (or the tourist info people) to arrange a Montalcino taxi to collect you from the abbey at a pre-arranged time (I assume you do not wish to wait for the afternoon bus?). That assumes you are happy to walk down to the Abbey. If not, then perhaps the hotel/tourist info people can suggest a car + driver, or help arrange a taxi for both journeys.

• SandiM's Profile Photo

by SandiM Online Now Mar 8, 2010 at 6:10 AM

Ah, leics, I never thought of that! I can ask my hotel to arrange for the taxi to be waiting for us. Sounds great! Or, if the walk wouldn't be too far? We can walk there and arrange for the taxi back. I wasn't sure if there were taxis to be found in Montalcino, that was the big question. There is also a bus from the Abbey back to Montalcino, so we could do that. I think the time schedule is actually reasonable. Thanks for the wonderful ideas!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 8, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I don't know how long the walk is, to be honest.

But your hotel should be able to help you sort out a taxi...(especially if you smile nicely!). Give them time though, don't ask just the night before.

At the very least they should be able to find the number for a local taxi company, and help you make the phone call if your Italian is not up to it.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines