Montalcino Travel Answers

change location

Chiusi.......to......Montalcino

by mcgslp Online Now Jan 23, 2009 at 6:01 AM

Hi,
We are taking a train from Rome Termini to Chiusi. From there we would like to go to Montalcino then possibly to Siena. If we go to Siena we would take a train directly back to Rome.
I am having difficulty figuring out how to get from Chiusi to Montalcino by either train/bus?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Chiusi.......to......Montalcino

by mccalpin Online Now Jan 23, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Hmmmn, I see that this is not easy...first, there is no train station in Montalcino, so all you can do is get close. The closest train station is in Buonconvento, I think, but to get there by train would require that you change trains in Siena, humorously enough.

Well, I do see from the http://www.sienamobilita.it/ website (look for the English button on the upper right, or just go directly to sienamobilita.it/EN/index.ht... ) that there is a bus solution, but it requires 3 different buses over the course of 2-2.5 hours.

To start, click on Search Timetable (upper right), then put in Chiusi for Departure and Montalcino for Arrival. Also put in a credible date and time - a date too far in the future might give you bad results. If you don't believe the results (like you get no solution), then put in the same day of the week for the next week - the schedules are likely the same, but the correct day of the week makes a difference.

Click on "Cerca Soluzioni" (Search Solutions) when ready. Note that I used Jan. 27, 2009 at 06:00 as the date and time.

Hmmmn, I see the response is mostly in Italian...well, they're given you three solutions, leaving Chiusi at 12:44, 12:54, and 16:59, each of which requires two changes (so 'three' linee or lines). The first one (bus F_T4) leaves Chiusi at 12:44, arrives at Montepulciano at 13:31. You have to walk a few feet (about 1 minute, they say) to the stop for the next bus, the 112. You wait for 6 minutes, and then leave at 13:38. You arrive in Buonconvento at 14:30. Again you walk a few feet (one minute...makes you wonder if these stops aren't really at the same place - they'll be close in any case), and take the 114 bus that leaves at 14:33 (the warning states that this is a close connection timewise), and arrives in Montalcino at 14:55.

Now that I've given you the layout, you should be able to read the other two solutions as well. Note that there are at least 6 buses a day from Buonconvento to Montalcino, with the last one at 18:23, so if you change your routing to come from Siena, you'll have more options.

I don't know if there are other buses that serve this area (SITA (www.sitabus.it) serves Tuscany but I am not sure if they connect these two towns); if I find any, I'll let you know...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Chiusi.......to......Montalcino

by mcgslp Online Now Jan 23, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Thanks Bill,
    I'm thinking instead of maybe renting a car from Chiusi. The other option I thought was to go to another place in Tuscany instead then to Montalcino. What do you think?
    Thanks again:)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines