Mont Saint Michel Travel Answers

change location

Help with Transportation from Le Havre to Mont Saint Michel

by jeslouky Online Now Dec 27, 2008 at 6:48 PM

I will be ariving in Le Havre on Sunday May 10th on the Emerald Princess for one day. The arrival time is 7:0 a.m. and departure time is 8:00 p.m.. I need to know if there is any viable public or private transportation options that won't cost me an arm and a leg. It seems that the rental car companies are closed on Sunday so renting a car does not look like a good option. I have not been able to find a train schedule that will work and I have had trouble finding bus schedules on the web. Please let me know if you have any ideas on how to accomplish this.

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • wise23girl's Profile Photo

Re: Help with Transportation from Le Havre to Mont Saint Michel

by wise23girl Online Now Dec 28, 2008 at 12:07 AM

First it would be far easier if there was a tour from the ship. Then you have no worries getting back on time.

I recently spent a lot of time trying to arrange transport from LeHavre to Bayeux(not far from Mont-Saint-Michel) when we arrive on Queen Mary2 in March and have opted on private transport with Normandy Sightseeing Tours fredericguerin@wanadoo.fr as there are 4 of us with luggage but that is not cheap. I do not think there is any cheaper option for private transport unless you found a private citizen.Frederic will meet us at the ship when we disembark.
    I am told hiring a taxi at last moment in Le Havre is "wild" but there are supposed to be taxis on the dock.You might need one to get to Caen to link with a train.There is a way to book a taxi too but again I did not keep it.

There is a bus service in the area but I cannot find the link but perhaps the tourism below can help. ???Green bus maybe

For trains I understand you would have to change trains at Caen to get to Bayeux.I know there are tours from Bayeux to Mont-Saint-Michel which is open every day 9am to 7pm when you are there.

I forget which one was helpful but perhaps info@normandie-tourisme.fr could give you info also contact@lehavretourism.com

In my brochure there is a phone no too 0033 232 33 79 00 Normandy info

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Dec 28, 2008 at 1:45 AM

It's nearly 100 miles from Le Havre to Mont St Michel.

There is allegedly a bus from Le Havre to Caen at 1000am on Sundays arriving at 1119. From Caen there is no train westwards until 2.13pm.

The only afternoon/evening return bus journey from Caen however arrives in le Havre at 2020 (820pm) so you would have a grand view of your ship sailing off without you.

There is no practicable route by train between Le Havre and Mont St Michel that allows a round trip on Sundays within your time frame.

Timetables referred to:

servimg.com/image_preview.ph... (Bus Le Havre - Caen)

ter-sncf.com/Images/30%20-%2...

ter-sncf.com/Images/33%20-%2...

Sorry.

• puerto_lover's Profile Photo

by puerto_lover Online Now Dec 28, 2008 at 2:08 AM

Le Havre dock is on the wrong side of the river (Seine) for your trip west. Even by taxi or car it will take you at least 2 hours (and that is driving very quickly) to get from A to B. Allow 3 hours. Public transport is a no no as you say. Sunday anyway is bad and this route is just a no no frankly. Don't even think of a bus.

by puerto_lover Online Now Dec 28, 2008 at 2:15 AM

My estimated distance from Le Havre to Mont St Michel is around 150 miles by car by the way. The bridge across the Seine nearest Le Havre dock is called the Bridge of Normandy. I drove over this bridge recently. Very beautiful structure. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pont_d...

• Re: Help with Transportation from Le Havre to Mont Saint Michel

by jeslouky Online Now Dec 28, 2008 at 6:51 AM

Wisegirl,

Thanks for the Information. I sent an e-mail to the Le-Haver Tourism to see if they can help. Since the distance according to Google Maps between the two points is only about 154 KM or 90 miles I would think that you could drive the trip in about 2 hours if you average 45 MPH or 2.5 hours if you average only 35 mph. I am suprised that with the number of ships that stop in Le-Havre that the ship is not offering an excursion to Mont Saint Michel. Perhaps they are having the same problem that I am experiencing. In any case, thanks for your help. I'll let you know if I get any results from the Le Havre Tourism.

by puerto_lover Online Now Dec 28, 2008 at 7:47 AM

The distance between Le Havre and Mont St Michel is really about 150 miles.
    I just looked at Google and couldn't make it work inputting Mont St Michel so I put in PONTORSON which is the nearest town just inland (and a railway station) and it showed 215 kms or something like that. I also just checked with Viamichelin and that shows the same.
    believe me - although the road is good, it is going to take at least 2 hours each way.And allowing for getting out of Le Havre etc then 2 1/2 hours is my guess.
    Now if you had docked at Cherbourg it would have been far closer.
    I think the Le Havre tourism people can supply some ideas. But presume just a list of private car companies. And for a round trip of 430 kms plus waiting plus Sunday , I think the cost will be more than you think.

by jeslouky Online Now Dec 28, 2008 at 9:19 AM

Puerto-Lover,

Thanks for your reply, I did double check and the distance showed

Driving directions to Le Havre, France
    218 km – about 2 hours 9 mins or about 135 miles.

So I figure allow about 2.5 hours each way

I have sent an e-mail to Princess to see if they would consider offering a tour from the ship as it looks like other options are limited. I still can't believe that you can't rent a car on Sunday.

Thanks again.

by jeslouky Online Now Dec 28, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Pedmar,

Thanks for the info. I sent an e-mail to Normandy Town and Country to see what, if anything they might have to offer.

JESLOUKY

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

by wise23girl Online Now Dec 28, 2008 at 3:38 PM

THIs is a copy of email from Green Bus people I finally found

Thank you for your mail dated of september 30th of 2008.

The easiest way to travel from Le Havre to Bayeux is go first to Caen by bus (bus n° 20 or 39 Express : n° 20 2h30, N° 39 Express 1h30)

and then take the train from Caen to Bayeux ( www.ter-sncf.com or 0825.00.33.00)

If you are 4 people to travel, you can buy the fours-trips tickets.

Cost for the four trips ticket (sold at the coach station)

Express bus N° 39 : 45.76€

Bus n° 20 : 32.64 (+ 26 years old)

27.84€ (- 26 years old)

Cost for the single ticket

Express bus N° 39 : 14.70€

Bus n° 20 : 10.20€ (+ 26 years old)

8.70€ (- 26 years old)

5.60€ (- 26 years old)

All the schedules are on or website : www.busverts.fr

For further information, our call center is open from 7am to 8pm from monday to saturday, at 0810.214.214.

Wishing you good reception.

Marketing Department.

Isabelle LESAGE

-----Message d'origine-----
    De ]
    Envoyé : mardi 30 septembre 2008 09:28
    À : centralinfo@keoliscalvados.fr
    Objet : Re: Information transport Bus Verts, 5419

Bonjour Isabelle,

by cpmac Online Now Mar 15, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Basicly it's too far to go from Le Havre. The ships used to offer trips but I think there are less. We'd have 2½ hours to get there, 1hour for lunch, an hour for visit then 2½ hours back to the ship.

by deannbb Online Now Aug 24, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Did you end up going to Mont St. Michel? I too am arriving on a ship for the day and wanted to travel to St. Michel. I am interested to find out your story. Thanks.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines