Mons Travel Answers

change location

Who knows about restaurants and friteries in Mons, Belgium?

by dlabye Online Now Apr 19, 2011 at 7:24 AM

I lived in Mons and Quevy le Grand in Belgium for almost 14 years, most recently in the 80's. In fact, I married a Belgian from Nimy 40 years ago this month!

I'll be bringing our granddaughter to Mons to see where her Dad was born (St. Joseph's) and lived. She lives in Arizona and I'll be joining her there to start our trip (I live near San Diego in southern California). I'd love to take her to a friterie. There used to be 2 I liked. One was on the Grand Place and one was on a steep street near the Beffroi. There was also a little Italian restaurant on a steep street off the Grand Place. Actually it was a house that was used as a restaurant. Does anyone know of these places and if they are still there? I see that Jade de Chine is still there on the rue d'Havre. Do they still serve nems that you eat by holding it in your hand with a leaf of lettuce and fresh mint inside.

If you have any questions about Hawaii, southern California, Arizona, Colorado, Washington, D.C., Virginia, Texas, Alaska, London, The Isle of Wight, the island of Elba, Normandy (Bayeux or Villedieu les Poeles), Dorset, Haworth In Yorkshire), the southwestern corner of the Republic of Ireland, Scotland, the English Lake District, The Netherlands, France (Paris and the Cote d'Azur) or Heidelberg. I've lived in many of those places and visited the others at least twice (and, no doubt others I haven't listed here). Till then - cheers! My e-mail address is dlabye@cox.net.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • qaminari's Profile Photo

Re: Who knows about restaurants and friteries in Mons, Belgium?

by qaminari Online Now Apr 19, 2011 at 8:40 AM

This might be one of the friteries, although it is beside, rather than ON the Grand' Place: friteries.weskonva.be/94-bil....
    Maybe you can recognise the Italian restaurant from here: cityplug.be/fr/Mons/Restaura... (or here: restaurant.quefaire.be/mons/...
    Virtually all Sino-Vietnamese restaurants serve nems (spring rolls) as you describe.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Who knows about restaurants and friteries in Mons, Belgium?

by goodfish Online Now Apr 19, 2011 at 8:42 AM

>If you have any questions about Hawaii, southern California, Arizona, Colorado, Washington, D.C., Virginia, Texas, Alaska, London, The Isle of Wight, the island of Elba, Normandy (Bayeux or Villedieu les Poeles), Dorset, Haworth In Yorkshire), the southwestern corner of the Republic of Ireland, Scotland, the English Lake District, The Netherlands, France (Paris and the Cote d'Azur) or Heidelberg. I've lived in many of those places and visited the others at least twice (and, no doubt others I haven't listed here). Till then - cheers! My e-mail address is dlabye@cox.net.

Hi there - just mentioning that your experiences at the places you list above are best written up as tips on your own TV pages to share with other members. The same goes for any questions members may have: those are best posted, and answered, on VT forums so that others looking for similar info have access to it.

It's just not a good idea to publish your personal contact info on a public website such as this. Our site is set up so conversations can occur safely within our forums and VT mail without a member's personal contact info being revealed for just anyone to use - or potentially abuse.

Take a look at the site and how members have written up their tips and pages. It's fun and easy! Hope it inspires you to do the same with your great, first-hand experiences as well!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines