Mons Travel Answers

change location
oneshadeofred's Profile Photo

New Years in Mons

by oneshadeofred Online Now Dec 21, 2004 at 10:49 AM

Hello, I just to moved to Mons from the US and I have a friend coming for New Years. We'd like to stay local but have some fun too. Are there any place that would be great to hang out at to celebrate the New Year? We just want an exciting and exhilirating atmosphere. Thank you.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Mahieu's Profile Photo

Re: New Years in Mons

by Mahieu Online Now Dec 21, 2004 at 12:08 PM

Hi, On the Grand'Place, around midnight, there is a firework and there's a great atmosphere, of course it's pretty cold outside :-) The places around Marché aux Herbes will certainly be open and are allways full of people. Have fun!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: New Years in Mons

by pcsqueen Online Now Dec 21, 2004 at 2:31 PM

Don't know how much excitement or exhiliration you'll get in Mons. (Which is why I'm heading to Venice...) If you do go down to the Grand Place, be careful where you park. The area around the train station is pretty rough and I've been told to avoid it, avec or sans voiture. Walking up to the Place from the west side of town, I've also run into some odd looking characters. Maybe it was just that time of day, but I was happy to have my husband with me. Have you thought about heading up to Brussels? You can always check out the train schedule. Depending on where you live, it'd probably be safer and easier to take the train from Soignies, which is en route. Also, you can catch a train from Jurbise. BTW, if you haven't been to the Auchon at La Petit Foret, s/w of Valenciennes, it's fantastic. Beats the Carrefour at La Grand Pres by a mile.

• rohnny's Profile Photo

Re: New Years in Mons

by rohnny Online Now Dec 22, 2004 at 6:59 AM

Hi For me to, maybe the fire works on the grand place of Brussels but some friends told me that last years it was no more so funny and sometimes not 100 % safe. rgds, rohnny

• oneshadeofred's Profile Photo

Re: Re: New Years in Mons

by oneshadeofred Online Now Dec 28, 2004 at 11:27 AM

Hi, Thank you for your help. I think that's a good idea for my first year hear. Could you tell me where the Marché aux Herbes is? I know very little, mainly where the train station it. Know that pretty well. Thank you again. Ruth

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines