Travel Answers

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Train from Mongolia to china

Mongolia Nov 24, 2015 at 5:49 AM

Anyone know if we can get to major attractions in China by train from Ulaanbaatar.
      Trekking for a while and want to add China trip starting in late July.

3 Answers Nov 24, 2015 at 4:10 PM
    • ShainaW's Profile Photo

one week solo trip in Mongolia

Mongolia Jul 25, 2015 at 12:36 AM

I plan to travel to Mongolia in the end of August and probably stay for an week.
      Wonder if anyone will travel there at the same time so we can share tour to reduce the package price?
      And I fond there are many different agent run tours, and the price is so different.
      Do you think I should book tour now even I am still oversea or I better go there and get resources in hostels?
      I am interested in horse trekking, and staying in ger with local family this kinda of trip.
      Being solo female traveller seems not easy to plan budget trip in Mongolia...
      Would appreciate any kind of advice.

7 Answers Aug 22, 2015 at 4:25 AM
    • malsatisen's Profile Photo

Tour companions for 6/7 days in Mongolia

Mongolia May 2, 2015 at 8:47 AM

Hello everyone! I'm a female solo traveler from Singapore and I will be heading to Mongolia from 15-23 June! I really want to go to the gobi desert but the tours I've checked online are super expensive for solo travelers. I would like to ask if I would get cheaper options when I arrive at UB? Hope to find people to join me on the tour too!! Contact me at melissatan315 gmail ! :)

5 Answers May 25, 2015 at 1:59 AM
    • Ulaan Bator,Mongolia

Mongolia Apr 25, 2015 at 10:47 AM

I am planning to take the train from Beijing to Ulaan Bator in Mongolia.

What is your experience in this journey?

Any advice?

7 Answers Apr 26, 2015 at 8:29 PM
    • Budget travellers to Gobi and Central Mongolia

Mongolia Apr 18, 2015 at 1:14 PM

We are two Brazilians and are arranging a tour to Gobi and some places in Central Mongolia by Jeep from 16.05 to 24.05. The program is being drafted by our agent. Does anybody with adventurous spirit and backpacker style interested in sharing the costs with us? If yes, we could check this possibility with the agent who is organizing everything for us.

3 Answers Apr 19, 2015 at 7:37 AM
    • angiebabe's Profile Photo

Any thoughts on UB being worth a visit this time of year next week?

Mongolia Feb 26, 2015 at 6:34 AM

Could take the opportunity of visas now not being required for Mongolia at the present to exit China for the upcoming end of my 30 day visa in a few days time - but if the place is all iced up and bleak with not much to really experience because of it, nor do i want to injure myself any further hence Ive not gone up to icey Harbin as im recovering from a bad ankle sprain.
      any thoughts or opinions on whether to go while im handy here in Beijing and flights are not particularly expensive at the moment - well about 180 pounds flying Beijing to UB and same from UB to Shanghai.

1 Answer Apr 6, 2015 at 8:27 PM
    • OliviaPRibeiro's Profile Photo

7 DAY TOUR / HELP!!!

Mongolia Jan 26, 2015 at 11:43 AM

Im going to Mongolia in May for a 7 day trip there.
      Does anyone have suggestions of what to visit and specially contacts of guides?
      We are looking for an authentic experience, which include sleeping in local's home and having a real adventure.
      We are backpackers so our budget is limited.

Thank you so much!!

14 Answers Apr 6, 2015 at 8:36 PM
    • Any danger?

Mongolia Dec 11, 2014 at 1:12 PM

My daughter may be joint the peace corps and traveling to Mongolia this year. Should I be worried for her safety

3 Answers Apr 25, 2015 at 9:21 PM
    • Any advice on how long to stay?

Mongolia Dec 3, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Hi all!

I'm planning a solo travel to Mongolia this coming Summer, but I'm conflicted on how long I should stay. I really want to see the amazing landscapes, animals roaming around the countryside, as well as see how the nomads live.

Preferably, I want to do this trip as solo as possible not relying on tours...but I realize a lot of sights are unavailable to tourists unless we go with a tour. So I am willing to compromise where necessary, but do you guys have any tips on trying to do a Mongolia trip solo? And how long would you guys recommend I stay? I'm thinking between 2-3 weeks.

2 Answers Dec 3, 2014 at 12:19 PM
    • Beijing to Ulanbaatar to Colombo

Ulaanbaatar Nov 8, 2014 at 4:36 AM

Hi Guys, I want to take the Beijing to Ulanbaatar train, then go to Colombo. Air travel acccording to ebookers will take 30+ hrs from UB to CMB. Do you have any advice for me?

1 Answer Nov 8, 2014 at 5:46 AM
    • Nicolucie's Profile Photo

Anyone to join a tour in Gobi desert in october 2014

Mongolia Oct 11, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Hello !!!

Nicolas and I will be in Mongolia from October 14th.
      We would like to share the cost of a car and driver for a trip in Gobi desert with 1 or 2 persons.

If you are interested, please let us know :-)

• fuel for trangia

Mongolia Aug 16, 2014 at 3:19 PM

i would like to take a " trangia" - an alcohol burning portable stove- with me during my travelling in Mongolia. Who know if i can buy alcohol fuel for using it in Uliastay?
      Thank you!

1 Answer Aug 16, 2014 at 3:48 PM
    • Looking for companions to share the 13 day tour "Gobi + Lake Khuvsgul" From 24/8 to 5/9

Mongolia Aug 3, 2014 at 7:18 AM

We are two Vietnamese female and looking for companions to share the 13 day "Gobi + Lake Khubsgul" tour from 24/8. Tour itinerary is as following. Our tour operation is Khongor Expedition. Cost for group of 3 will be 81$/person/day, group of 4 will be 75$/person/day. The more people join the less cost per person. If you are interested in joining us, please email me at

24/8. – Drive UB to Baga gazriin chuluu
      25/8. - Bayanzag flaming cliffs
      26/8. - Drive to Khongor sand dune
      27/8. – Camel riding at khongor sand dune
      28/8. – Ongi monastery ruins
      29/8. - Orkhon valley
      30/8. - Terkh White lake
      31/8. - Drive to and visit *** city, centre of Khuvsgul province.
      1/9. - Horse riding at Khuvsgul lake, in a beautiful green meadow
      2/9. - Continue Horsetrip at Khuvsgul lake, visit a local family of reindeer herders
      3/9. - drive to Khutag Undur, hiking at Uran-Togoo volcano
      4/9. – Drive to and visit Amarbayasgalant
      5/9. Drive back to Ulaanbaatar

3 Answers Aug 6, 2014 at 6:42 AM
    • city lounge

Ulaanbaatar Jul 8, 2014 at 11:17 PM

please tell me where is city lounge in ulan bataar

1 Answer Jul 9, 2014 at 12:46 AM
    • Kazahk Tours- Mongolia

Mongolia Jun 29, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Anyone had experienced travelling with Kazahk Tours from Ulgii? Any feedback would be appreciated as I am about to join them for a trekking tour of Altai Mountains.

1 Answer Nov 11, 2014 at 7:16 PM
    • Looking for Guides

Mongolia May 27, 2014 at 6:44 AM

Hello I have found older blogs of this question? My wife son and myself are traveling to Mongolia July of 2015. We are looking at what to do and have found a lot to do. We are looking for suggestions on guides. We like the adventure and not high maitance people. Any affordable local guides you would recommend would be appriciated.

2 Answers Jan 10, 2015 at 9:48 PM
    • KevinD24's Profile Photo

Hatgal - Irkutsk

Mongolia Apr 23, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Hey, I was wondering if there was a way to get to Irkutsk from Hatgal without going via Ulaanbaatar. When I go to google maps I can see that there is a road leading off the north of Khovsgol that goes to Irkutsk. Is there a ferry and bus transit between the two cities? I don't have a car so i'll be using public transport.

1 Answer Jun 26, 2014 at 6:32 AM
    • stamoz's Profile Photo

Nadaam festival

Mongolia Apr 15, 2014 at 1:21 AM

Hello everyone,

Kindly asking for some tips or suggestions on what things to do in Ulaan Bataar, and mainly on how to get to the Gobi as I heard there is also a Nadaam festival. Appreaciating always for some help.

2 Answers Jun 26, 2014 at 6:32 AM
    • Travel by horseback to northern lakes, and western altai region.

Ulaanbaatar Mar 20, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Heyo! What's the best way to get started on a horse trek (ger to ger) from Ulaanbaatar to the northern lakes and western altai region? Anyone has any recommendations on whether i should buy/rent a horse, and recommendation for a guide? What are the prices for guides /per day currently?

Thanks so much

3 Answers Aug 10, 2014 at 8:14 AM
    • TravisD3's Profile Photo

Buddhist Monastery Accommodation

Mongolia Feb 16, 2014 at 8:18 AM

Is anyone familiar with a buddhist monastery in Mongolia that offers accommodation to short-term guests? 1 - 2 weeks? I will be traveling Mongolia in October 2014.

1 Answer Jun 8, 2014 at 5:11 AM
    • Train to Darkhan from UB

Ulaanbaatar Sep 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Hi, can I get a train ticket on the day of travel from UB to Darkhan? Has anyone done it and is it easy enough to do with no Mongolian language skills! Thanks (this may have posted twice due to email verification confusion!)

1 Answer Sep 4, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    • Train to Darkhan

Ulaanbaatar Sep 4, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Can you book a train to Darkhan from UB on the same day - and is it easy or do I need to speak Mongolian! Thanks...

• Where to buy?

Ulaanbaatar Aug 12, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Where can I find knitting yarns in Ulan Bator?

• Fancy a kazakh tour from Olgii!

Mongolia Aug 3, 2013 at 5:25 AM

I have organised what looks like a really interesting week long mixed tour leaving from Olgii on August 27th, going into the mountains, a bit of horse trekking, meet local people like Kazakhs and eagle hunters. Also the people who run it have a very good reputation. Might you be interested in coming along?! If so please drop me a line and I can give you more information - it will be far more economical (not to mention fun!) with more people, so the more the merrier!! Lotty x

5 Answers Aug 25, 2013 at 3:59 AM
    • Solo traveller looking for a travel partner around mongolia.

Mongolia Jul 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I'm going to be arriving in Ulaanbaatar on August 6th and would like to do one of the tours offered around mongolia. I have 10 days to spend in the country, so if anyone wants to join, email me. Cool.

3 Answers Apr 17, 2014 at 9:39 PM
    • From Olgii (Eagle Festival) to Khovd, 3rd-12th of October

Mongolia Jul 22, 2013 at 4:23 AM

We will be travelling to Olgii (Mongolia) for the Eagle Hunters Festival, which takes place on the 5th and 6th of October.

We are planning on travelling south to Khovd from the 7th to the 12th, taking time to see some of the country side, national parks and local culture.

We have contacted a highly recommended guide who has proposed a really exciting itinerary leaving from Olgii, going through the Tavan Bogd Mountain Range, Altai Tavan Bogd National Park, Kurgan lakes, and eventually down to Khovd. Our guide seems very interested in sharing the local Kazak culture and we will be staying exclusively with families from each area we will be visiting.

We are hoping that other travellers would like to join us for this leg of our journey in order to split the costs of the guide, jeep and petrol.

If you are interested, please send us a message!

Bekki & John

5 Answers Oct 3, 2013 at 1:59 AM
    • West part of Mongolia

Mongolia Jul 13, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Hi everyone!

Im planning on flying to Khovd and stay in the west part of Mongolia for around 2 weeks, anyone can give me some tips on things I could do?

Thanks alot!

• JedK's Profile Photo

Tour mongolia

Mongolia Jul 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I am a 24y male from new zealand traveling solo and looking for travel companions for a 7-14 day tour in Mongolia. I am in UB now and would like to go on tour asap. The city is not my cup of tea. I'm keen to get out.
      I am looking to go to the northern and western areas but I'm flexible. I leave Mongolia on the 24 July. I have looked into tour options and they will organise tours where and as you want them with a days notice.

I just need some people to join me.

• chinggis guesthouse

Mongolia Jul 7, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Hi - does anyone have the email for the chinggis guesthouse please, as the one in the lonely planet ( does not seem to work.. thanks!

1 Answer Jul 7, 2013 at 3:57 PM
    • Traveling by myself, Mongolia

Mongolia Jul 2, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Hi there!

I am planning on traveling through Mongolia by myself for around 3 to 4 weeks.
      I am a HUGE fan of nature and I would love to experience mongolia by doing treks, see beautiful nature and local culture.

I am aware of the fact that Mongolia isnt as easy for travelers, and I am wondering what the best way for me is to see as much as I can in those weeks.

I am not a huge fan of organized tours (although sometimes there's no other options) and im not the richest guy out there(just a student)

Please could someone with experience help me out?

Thanks a lot!!!

5 Answers Jul 3, 2013 at 3:56 PM