Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• stamoz's Profile Photo

Nadaam festival

Mongolia Yesterday

Hello everyone,

Kindly asking for some tips or suggestions on what things to do in Ulaan Bataar, and mainly on how to get to the Gobi as I heard there is also a Nadaam festival. Appreaciating always for some help.

more
    • Travel by horseback to northern lakes, and western altai region.

Ulaanbaatar Mar 20, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Heyo! What's the best way to get started on a horse trek (ger to ger) from Ulaanbaatar to the northern lakes and western altai region? Anyone has any recommendations on whether i should buy/rent a horse, and recommendation for a guide? What are the prices for guides /per day currently?

Thanks so much

more

Popular Mongolia Travel Answer Locations

• stamoz's Profile Photo

Nadaam festival

Mongolia Yesterday

Hello everyone,

Kindly asking for some tips or suggestions on what things to do in Ulaan Bataar, and mainly on how to get to the Gobi as I heard there is also a Nadaam festival. Appreaciating always for some help.

2 Answers Yesterday
    • Travel by horseback to northern lakes, and western altai region.

Ulaanbaatar Mar 20, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Heyo! What's the best way to get started on a horse trek (ger to ger) from Ulaanbaatar to the northern lakes and western altai region? Anyone has any recommendations on whether i should buy/rent a horse, and recommendation for a guide? What are the prices for guides /per day currently?

Thanks so much

5 Answers Mar 25, 2014 at 8:53 PM
    • TravisD3's Profile Photo

Buddhist Monastery Accommodation

Mongolia Feb 16, 2014 at 8:18 AM

Is anyone familiar with a buddhist monastery in Mongolia that offers accommodation to short-term guests? 1 - 2 weeks? I will be traveling Mongolia in October 2014.

2 Answers Mar 25, 2014 at 8:25 PM
    • Sept 16 - 1 week - Looking for travel companions for Gobi Desert

Mongolia Sep 9, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Hello There,

We are a couple arriving to UB on Sept 14,
      We would like to start a full week's trip to multiple sites sometime between Sept 16 - 18. We are interested in renting a van and a driver / guide to keep the costs low. We will plan the details in UB.

The trip will include Gobi Desert, staying in Ger camps, and possibly Kharkorum. If you are interested please contact me at travelling@ilkerender.com

thanks !

3 Answers Mar 25, 2014 at 8:28 PM
    • Train to Darkhan from UB

Ulaanbaatar Sep 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Hi, can I get a train ticket on the day of travel from UB to Darkhan? Has anyone done it and is it easy enough to do with no Mongolian language skills! Thanks (this may have posted twice due to email verification confusion!)

1 Answer Sep 4, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    • Train to Darkhan

Ulaanbaatar Sep 4, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Can you book a train to Darkhan from UB on the same day - and is it easy or do I need to speak Mongolian! Thanks...

• Where to buy?

Ulaanbaatar Aug 12, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Where can I find knitting yarns in Ulan Bator?

• Jtomaslobo's Profile Photo

Everything ready for a nice motorbike trip, interested? (Aug/sep)

Mongolia Aug 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Im a nice Chilean guy travelling solo, 24 years old. Looking for some company for a self guided (gps) motorbike tour, probably one of the most exciting ways of getting to know this country!

I already have bought what should be needed:

Brand new Shineray motorbike (the one that the nomads use and therefore know exactly how to fix in case of any trouble)

Stove and lots of food

Foldable tent (takes 3 seconds to get done)

Water purifier

Gps and map

I am very flexible with the dates (have 6 weeks here from today), with the duration of the trip and with the places as well. I think that a good start should be heading west before Gobi desert, asap!

I can maybe fit one more person in my bike. To anyone interested to join with his/her own motorbike I can also provide information about renting/buying here in Ulaanbaatar.

Send me an email to jtomaslobo@gmail.com or call me to this local number: 94138253

1 Answer Feb 16, 2014 at 8:16 AM
    • Fancy a kazakh tour from Olgii!

Mongolia Aug 3, 2013 at 5:25 AM

I have organised what looks like a really interesting week long mixed tour leaving from Olgii on August 27th, going into the mountains, a bit of horse trekking, meet local people like Kazakhs and eagle hunters. Also the people who run it have a very good reputation. Might you be interested in coming along?! If so please drop me a line and I can give you more information - it will be far more economical (not to mention fun!) with more people, so the more the merrier!! Lotty x

5 Answers Aug 25, 2013 at 3:59 AM
    • Solo traveller looking for a travel partner around mongolia.

Mongolia Jul 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I'm going to be arriving in Ulaanbaatar on August 6th and would like to do one of the tours offered around mongolia. I have 10 days to spend in the country, so if anyone wants to join, email me. Michael_loffler50@hotmail.com. Cool.

4 Answers Mar 25, 2014 at 8:49 PM
    • From Olgii (Eagle Festival) to Khovd, 3rd-12th of October

Mongolia Jul 22, 2013 at 4:23 AM

Hello

We will be travelling to Olgii (Mongolia) for the Eagle Hunters Festival, which takes place on the 5th and 6th of October.

We are planning on travelling south to Khovd from the 7th to the 12th, taking time to see some of the country side, national parks and local culture.

We have contacted a highly recommended guide who has proposed a really exciting itinerary leaving from Olgii, going through the Tavan Bogd Mountain Range, Altai Tavan Bogd National Park, Kurgan lakes, and eventually down to Khovd. Our guide seems very interested in sharing the local Kazak culture and we will be staying exclusively with families from each area we will be visiting.

We are hoping that other travellers would like to join us for this leg of our journey in order to split the costs of the guide, jeep and petrol.

If you are interested, please send us a message!

Bekki & John

5 Answers Oct 3, 2013 at 1:59 AM
    • Anyone wants to join our group? 9/8/2013-23/8/2013 14days tour

Mongolia Jul 14, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Going to Mongolia and there are 3 of us, anyone wants to join in our group (bunch of malaysians) for 14days tour in mongolia?

9/8/2013-23/8/2013 14days tour

1 Answer Jul 15, 2013 at 4:18 AM
    • West part of Mongolia

Mongolia Jul 13, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Hi everyone!

Im planning on flying to Khovd and stay in the west part of Mongolia for around 2 weeks, anyone can give me some tips on things I could do?

Thanks alot!

• JedK's Profile Photo

Tour mongolia

Mongolia Jul 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I am a 24y male from new zealand traveling solo and looking for travel companions for a 7-14 day tour in Mongolia. I am in UB now and would like to go on tour asap. The city is not my cup of tea. I'm keen to get out.
      I am looking to go to the northern and western areas but I'm flexible. I leave Mongolia on the 24 July. I have looked into tour options and they will organise tours where and as you want them with a days notice.

I just need some people to join me.

• chinggis guesthouse

Mongolia Jul 7, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Hi - does anyone have the email for the chinggis guesthouse please, as the one in the lonely planet (chinggis_house@yahoo.com) does not seem to work.. thanks!

1 Answer Jul 7, 2013 at 3:57 PM
    • Traveling by myself, Mongolia

Mongolia Jul 2, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Hi there!

I am planning on traveling through Mongolia by myself for around 3 to 4 weeks.
      I am a HUGE fan of nature and I would love to experience mongolia by doing treks, see beautiful nature and local culture.

I am aware of the fact that Mongolia isnt as easy for travelers, and I am wondering what the best way for me is to see as much as I can in those weeks.

I am not a huge fan of organized tours (although sometimes there's no other options) and im not the richest guy out there(just a student)

Please could someone with experience help me out?

Thanks a lot!!!

5 Answers Jul 3, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    • Iswall's Profile Photo

Horseback riding adventure in Mongolia

Mongolia Jun 25, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Hey!

I'm a 25 years old girl from Slovenia and I'm travelling to Mongolia from 28th June to 16th July. What I want to do there is about 12-14 days long horse trekking (I'm an experienced rider - from the European perspective at least :)), budget option preferred (pack horses, no vehicles, local food, sleeping at family gers mostly). I am all alone, so I am very worried that it might be a problem to find some people or a group wanting to do the same thing at the same time - and I really don't want to go alone on the trip, it could get boring and I can't really afford it, probably it's also difficult to find a guide for one person only ... I'm thinking about Arkhangai, Khövgöl Nuur as a region, maybe with visiting Khustain national park for spotting takhi horse while driving north to the starting point (or on the way back). But I am very flexible about the region, but would prefer West! I could do a less adventurous tour with some driving, but mostly riding - if it'll mean cheaper tour and more people interested! I prefer spending most of the time on the horse though ... better than spending all the time in the car ...I like watching landscape, animals (I am finishing veterinary school at home!), nature, nomadic life - more than historical monuments!

I will be looking around guesthouses in UB, but I won't have a week to arrange the trip, just a day or two if I want to get back in time ...

I do have an amazing offer that is for now much too expensive for me. It goes from Arkhangai province to Khuvsgol lake (Khövgöl Nuur). It's about 14 days long, most days 50-60 km of riding per day (tough, so probably not for beginner riders!).

It includes:
      "Two guides: 1- English speaker guide who will assist you throughout your trip 2- Local guide who takes care of horses and guides you through the destination.
      • 4 Horses. 3 for you and your guides. One for the equipments (if I go alone, which I won't)
      • Three time meals,
      • Ger camps (Mongolian traditional houses) , Tent
      • All other accommodation"

The price is far too high for me alone, 2390 dollars (and you should add the transportation to the starting and from the ending point to the cost!!), but with enough people it can maybe become affordable ... please contact me on ziva.cerne@gmail.com or here if you're interested! And of course also if you're interested in any other mostly horse riding tour in the same time frame! I promise that I am an interesting travel buddy and very uncomplicated :) I'm coming to UB on 28th in the morning, staying at Idre's hostel the first night!

1 Answer Jun 26, 2013 at 1:04 PM
    • First time Mongolia - 2 month trip. Advice?

Mongolia Jun 25, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Hi,

I'll be travelling with my boyfriend to Mongolia, flying in to Ulaanbataar in July and back out in September. Any advice on a route to take, or generally how to fill the two months best? In the first throes of planning so open to any suggestions.
      Thanks,

B

1 Answer Jun 26, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    • Going to Tsetserleg tomorrow, Wed. June 27th

Mongolia Jun 25, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Hey!

We're looking for a ride share to Tsetserleg tomorrow, Wednesday, June 27th. (Thursday would also work.) Two American travelers with a bit of outdoor gear. There are no buses to Tsetserleg during the election tomorrow! We're definitely willing to share the cost of travel! We're staying at Zaya hostel. Thank you!!

1 Answer Jun 25, 2013 at 2:17 AM
    • Gobi tour

Mongolia Jun 23, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Hi! I will be arriving in UB on the 22nd of September and would love to do a tour of the Gobi desert. Anyone interested in joining me?

• Horses!

Mongolia Jun 12, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I am hoping to do a tour that involves horse trekking, but I don't possess a hard hat or any riding stuff, which I understand is required... is it possible to buy this kind of stuff in ulaanbataar? Thanks!

7 Answers Jul 7, 2013 at 6:35 AM
    • 3-day horse tour?

Mongolia Jun 10, 2013 at 5:21 AM

I have an upcoming vacation for the 18-21 of September that I would like to spend on a horse in Mongolia. Does anyone know how to make this happen? Are there 3 day horse back tours? (All the tours I have seen have been for fixed dates and are 10-15 days long. ) I would really appreciate your feedback and advice.

5 Answers Jun 21, 2013 at 11:17 PM
    • Travelmate Late June to Mid July 2013

Mongolia Jun 6, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Planning to visit Mongolia in late june 2013 to mid july for Naadam. Am considering trans siberia too! Looking for travel mates...

3 Answers Jul 2, 2013 at 5:02 AM
    • Cost of train ticket

Ulaanbaatar Jun 4, 2013 at 3:11 AM

I want to go by train from Beijing to Ulan Bator, can i buy the tickets on the same day and how much do they cost

2 Answers Jun 4, 2013 at 9:32 PM
    • byhayan's Profile Photo

Expat insurance for camera equipment?

Mongolia Jun 3, 2013 at 5:54 AM

I am currently living in Turkey and going to Mongolia for 3 weeks and am not able to get any insurance for my camera equipment here in Turkey. Does anyone know of an Insurance company that will insure me from the UK? Many thanks.

1 Answer Jun 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    • Grumsen's Profile Photo

motorbiking

Mongolia Jun 3, 2013 at 4:07 AM

Dear All

does anyone has experience with driving a small motorbike in Mongolia. Do you get stopped often by the police for driving license checks?

Best regards

4 Answers Jun 6, 2013 at 11:11 PM
    • rsearching for reliable driver and jeep for 2 weeks in Mongolia

Mongolia Jun 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Any recommendations for reliable experienced knowledgeable English speaking driver with a jeep for 2 weeks in Mongolia?

2 Answers Jun 6, 2013 at 11:09 PM
    • byhayan's Profile Photo

Meeting people

Mongolia May 31, 2013 at 6:07 AM

I m from 28 June until 18 July in Mongolia is it easy to meat another traveler to join to me.
      thank you.

8 Answers Jul 2, 2013 at 5:10 AM
    • Train tickets Ulaanbaator to Beijing

Mongolia May 17, 2013 at 4:20 AM

Hi,

Sorry if this post isn't in the appropriate forum. I didn't know whether to post in China or Mongolia so settled on both.
      I am looking to take this train route in June, preferably on or around the 27th June, when I believe there is a train. I want to book this in advance, as it's the busy season. Can anyone recommend any travel agencies for purchasing tickets or advise me of the best way to buy?

Any help would be much appreciated!

4 Answers May 17, 2013 at 6:42 AM
    • short stay in UB

Ulaanbaatar Apr 23, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Hello everyone,

I am planning to spend a total of 2 nights in UB before I go to the west of mongolia.

are 2 nights enough to get a quick glimpse of the city?

4 Answers May 11, 2013 at 4:22 AM