Mongolia Travel Answers

change location

How expensive is travel in Mongolia?

by Christopher17 Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Hi everyone. Im thinking about going to Mongolia for a month in June and im wondering just how expensive it is to get around? I would like to spend 10 days around the Gobi Desert and some time hiking in some of the National parks. Im planning on camping if its possible, since i dont have a lot of money. But transportation seems difficult every where I look? What is the best approach to budget travel in Mongolia (hostel organized tour, renting a driver, etc)?? and what should I expect to pay per day in any case, or for a tour package or driver haha. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: How expensive is travel in Mongolia?

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 8:04 AM

It depends greatly on your luck. Many travellers to Mongolia pre-book things from overseas. This is always more expensive. A week in the desert all included, if pre-booked, start at $1,000 (or so). However, if you show up, find some like minded travellers, it could be as cheap as a couple hundred.

Backpacker hostels are a good place to find others.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • eMGeographer's Profile Photo

by eMGeographer Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 1:21 AM
    ) ... luck - that's right. Don't make a firm schedule, just have an idea where to go.

The cheapest way is to travel between a farther destinations using public transport - small buses. Be prepared that sometimes you may wait for a bus a day or two. Another advantage of this type of travelling is that you meet local people, experience their hospitality, you may be invited to a private yurta, treated with a local food...etc.

If you find some fellows you can rent a driver: you come to a taxi stand and a swarm of drivers surrounds you - haggle! ;)

I can't exactly tell you about the prices - a travelled Mongolia several years ago. For a month-trip with visiting Moscow and Baikal lake, transport to Mongolia and back, visa and everything on the spot I payed around $1,000. or less. Now it may be a little bit more expensive.

• grazy56's Profile Photo

by grazy56 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 1:23 PM

hi, as already write it^s depend also how you want to discover this wonderful country. if you rent a jeep with a independent driver it will be expensive as around 100 euro day all inclusive to divide with your own group. but you can also think to make homestay to nomadic, camel trek, horse trek... a mix of all this ideas...

food and lodge in countryside is not expensive as you eat for 2 euro per meal, and you picht your tent and this is free!!!
    on my webpage www.terramongolia.com you can find more about budget, how to discover the country, some prices, some contacts.... and of course just feel free to contact me

have nice trip

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Mongolia Travel Answer Locations