Mombassa Travel Answers

change location
jeffers151's Profile Photo

diani beach area october

by jeffers151 Online Now Aug 2, 2010 at 9:09 AM

hi we are thinking of going to kenya towards the end of october for 2 weeks. i am thinking of booking diani sea resort because we want a cheap and cheerful base to stay so we can go on safari. we have been to little govenors camp in the masai mara about 4 years ago so would like to try somewhere different this time. any suggestions ? also are there any bars and restaurants close to the diani sea resort. what sort of prices should i expect to pay for eg. a beer or a steak ? will the weather be ok at this time of year?
any help will be much appreciated
thanks

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • sphynxxs's Profile Photo

Re: diani beach area october

by sphynxxs Online Now Aug 3, 2010 at 12:12 AM

While I´m not quite sure about ther location of Diani sea resort, there are a number of restaurants along that coastal strip if you don´t want to eat at the hotel. As for bars, go to "Forty Thieves" - beautiful location, you also get food, and it had just been chosen on of the best 20 bars in the world by bartender magazine. it is more coastal than night club flair. Or for a special dinner the cave restaurand Ali Barbour - I haven´t tried it yet but heard good things. For a beer you pay, depending on the place 120-150 KES, 200 if it is high priced. For a steak I´d reckon between 1200 and 1600 KES in that area, a meal without drinks and starters would range between 650 and 1500. End of October should be the end of the short rains, though the weather has been quite erratic this year. And at the coast it will be nicely warm anyhow. The next short distance safari place from Diani, other than the marine national park, is Shimba Hills. there is a hotel on stilts with a waterhole next to it, it is not directly IN the national park though. As for safari, the Tsavos or Taita Hills would be a good place to go from the coast, you will be in Voi in about three hours, about an hour more to Mtito Andei, the main gate to Tsavo West. Both parks have good wildlife and a beautiful scenery.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • jeffers151's Profile Photo

by jeffers151 Online Now Aug 3, 2010 at 2:20 AM

hi
    thanks so much for the information. i will take a look at taita hills and mtito andei. at least i have a rough idea as to what i will be paying for food and drink now.
    thanks again

• jeffers151's Profile Photo

by jeffers151 Online Now Aug 4, 2010 at 10:59 AM

hi
    im here to pick your brains again!!

when we did our safari in the masai mara at little governors uor driver told us the masai was the only place you could do a safari and have complete freedom of the park ..he said most of the other parks you had to stay on the roads and trails so you could not get as close to the animals. is this true or do you know any other parks where you have the freedom to go where ever you want?
    from your personal experience what is the best place to do safari?
    regards
    julie x

• sphynxxs's Profile Photo

by sphynxxs Online Now Aug 4, 2010 at 1:04 PM

your driver was not giving you the full truth - offroad driving is forbidden in all national parks and reserves. There are some drivers who will leave the tracks to get closer to animals, but when the rangers catch them at it, a hefty fine is due. In private reserves they will also give you trouble if you leave the roads. The philosophy is that the places are to grant the animals a natural surrounding with as little human interference as possible - that includes that the animals have the option to keep their distance. As far as the freedom feeling goes, once you are out in the bush and don´t see other cars around, it feels like it´s just you and the wild. At this time of the year hard to get at a place like Massai Mara because during the migration tourists flock in in big numbers and of course they all gather at the river where the wildebeest are crossing....

I´d recommend to try one of the bigger parks and try to roam rather on the side roads. Smaller parks like Amboseli or Nakuru can easily feel a bit crowded, Tsavo gets a lot of tourists, but covers a big area, same goes for the Mara (as long as you keep away from the riverbank). Meru, Samburu and Buffalo Springs are also less crowded because of their relative remoteness. You could also try one of the private reserves like Taita Hills or Ol Pejeta where you can have a night game drive - something that is not allowed in the national parks

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Mombassa