Molokai Travel Answers

change location

Suggested Accommodations in Molokai?

by Peweli Online Now Mar 9, 2008 at 8:18 AM

We go to Hawaii twice a year and have experienced all the islands many times expect for Molokai and Lanai. We're so excited to be spending four nights in Molokai in April. Our airfare is booked, we just need a place to stay.

Not being familiar with the island at all, I'm wondering where most people stay. Seems like the 'resorts' are on the dry, west side. Would you advise staying there opposed the the east side or vice versa and why?

Seems like hotels are scarce. Is a condo the way to do it and is there a property/area you would recommend? I can tell you we aren't interested in the tentalows....I know others have said they love it but for our first trip to this island we prefer a condo or hotel.

After reading the fictional book "Molokai" I'm looking forward to the mule ride to Kalaupapa and learning more about the island. My husband is an avid fisherman so we'll be spending time doing that as well as enjoying the splendor of this island.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • rmdw's Profile Photo

Re: Suggested Accommodations in Molokai?

by rmdw Online Now Mar 9, 2008 at 12:03 PM

A friend of mine has just arrived on Molokai. I will forward you his e-mail address via a private message.

Robert

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • BlueCollar's Profile Photo

Re: Suggested Accommodations in Molokai?

by BlueCollar Online Now Mar 9, 2008 at 1:20 PM

We have stayed there twice now. I suggest a condo on the south shore near Kaunakakai or further eastward. DO NOT choose the resorts on the west side unless you like wind-swept trees, open pasture, and a somewhat arid look to the land (that's where those tentalos are located). Everything from Kaunakakai eastward is more tropical looking.

Take a look at the offerings here (cottages and B&Bs look best, IMHO):

alternative-hawaii.com/accmo...

Things to do:

Muleride (excellent)
    Halawa Valley guided hike (also excellent)
    Coffee farm tour
    Plumeria farm tour
    Lunch or dinner at Kualapu'u Cookhouse (for all the local flavor)
    Oceanfront table at Hotel Moloka'i's restaurant to watch the sunset (for the atmosphere and not necessarily the food)
    Ice cream at Dave's Hawaiian Ice Cream in downtown Kaunakakai (the haupia ice cream mixed with lychee sherbet is amazingly tropical!)

In our first stay, we were at Kumu'eli Farms B&B. It was excellent, but is now defunct. Our second stay was to be at Moloka'i Shores condos. But the condo wasn't cleaned when we got there and we ended up getting a room at Hotel Moloka'i since we could not reach the condo's owner.

Moloka'i is a wonderful place and we really look forward to another peaceful time there in the future.

Have a great trip!

A hui hou aku!

• Re: Suggested Accommodations in Molokai?

by Peweli Online Now Mar 10, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Thank you so much for all the great information. I've printed it off and will be sure and use it next month!

Mahalo for your kokua!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Molokai Travel Answer Locations