Molokai Travel Answers

change location

Molokai advice

by surefolly Online Now Oct 16, 2007 at 12:07 PM

My family and I are thinking about a trip to Molokai in May or June of 2008 and wanted to get some advice. We've been to Maui (2000) and Kauia this past summer (2007).

What is Molokai like - pros and cons? We really enjoyed the mellow pace of things on Kauai's north end (Hanalea) and were hoping to find something similar on Molokai. We're not a big fan of the "resorts" and pretty much just enjoy hanging out on a nice beach and going snorkeling. We also enjoy the more lush / jungle areas of the islands.

Is Molokai a good place for kids - my wife and I will be taking our two sons - one will be almost 4 years old and the other will be 6 or 7 months at the time of travel.

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: Molokai advice

by hawaiichris Online Now Oct 19, 2007 at 8:13 PM

Aloha,

While molokai is quiet and relaxing. You can stay in the tentalows, which are sort of like camping. That may be fun for the kids, however if you thought hanalei was mellow you will find molokai extremely mellow.

I don't normally suggest molokai or lanai for families with children, but sometimes it depends on the kids. If they are happy just going to the beach they may have a good time..as for activities not that much for children.

If you do go back to maui again you can however take a day tour over to molokai from lahaina which many people do.

I would say it could go either way for you. Children of that age may be just as happy playing at the beach every day. If they were teens I would say I probably wouldn't go there.

You could also try the big island. The kona village resort people love. With their hale's they are not real resort like themselves. Of course it tends to cost a little more because it is all meals included, but they also provide non motorized water sports at the property which the kids may also enjoy. They dont have tv's in their rooms though so if that may be a problem for you (which some people freak out about it when i tell them that). Their idea is to try to be sort of like resorts in fiji and tahiti and where you will get the real island feel and the no tv's is because their reasoning is you don't fly to hawaii to plan your day around the tv but to enjoy yourself with your family.
    I have heard people that go there 10 years in a row have never even left the property! That may be another option for you, but again because they include meals (and good ones too) they are not going to be very inexpensive.

Good luck to you!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • BlueCollar's Profile Photo

Re: Molokai advice

by BlueCollar Online Now Oct 20, 2007 at 1:07 AM

If you enjoyed the slow pace of Hanalei, you'll find it just that way on Molokai. The largest town on the island is Kaunakakai and is at par with Hanalei in character. E v e r y t h i n g moves slower on this island.

Since you do not want to stay at a resort, you're in luck here. The big resorts on this island all sit on the arid western side of the island. It doesn't look tropical at all. Any of the condos from Kaunakakai eastward offer a more tropical feel to the landscape.

If you consider Hotel Molokai, like most places, they offer no air conditioning. If you are comfy at 77 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit, that's good. The cool ocean breezes do a good job, however, the open-air buildings, being built in such close proximity, do little to keep noise to a minimum. In the early evening, TVs and talking vibrate the air. Late at night, the loud snoring of others is noticed. Also, if you get a loft here, be VERY careful of late night runs to the bathroom; the low ceiling will bump your skull!

I cannot remember the name of the place right now, but I wrote a tip about it on my Molokai page. There's an ice cream shop in downtown Kaunakakai that serves homemade unique flavors. I had the haupia (coconut pudding) mixed with lychee sherbet. It is outstanding!

The food at Hotel Molokai's restaurant is unremarkable. It's not bad. Just not outstanding either. HOWEVER, the view of the sunset cannot be beat. Get a table oceanside at dinnertime and watch the sun sink into the sea. This package-deal is very memorable.

There are plenty of beaches to explore along the south side of the island. During the week, many will go empty if you decide not to visit them. So, please oblige them.

It's too bad that you have such young children. I would normally suggest the muleride down to Kalaupapa or even a hike in Halawa Valley. But the little ones cannot do that. You may just have to stick to the beaches for fun.

There is a plumeria farm where you can pick your own flowers and make your own lei. There is also a coffee farm where you can take a wagon tour of the operation. Be sure to drive to the Kalaupapa Lookout and at least get a glimpse of this beautiful place. You'll go right by the sugar mill museum. Be sure to stop in and walk around the place to learn the history of cane refinement (be sure to check out their outhouse).

I hope that helps you with your decision. And with whatever you decide, I hope you have a great trip.

A hui hou aku.

• GenuinelyCurious's Profile Photo

Re: Molokai advice

by GenuinelyCurious Online Now Oct 22, 2007 at 11:44 PM

About 15 years ago, I visited the former leper (Hansen's disease) colony on Molokai. I flew in from O'ahu, but there is a mule trail coming down from your side of the island. Probably too much for the kids at their young age, but the adults might enjoy something really different.

You can still see the old kuleana lines coming down 'from the mountains to the sea' and it's a fascinating, if sad history

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Molokai Travel Answer Locations