Molokai Travel Answers

change location

Leper colony - mule rides

by JBB999 Online Now Jan 19, 2004 at 11:35 PM

Hi all I understand there is a fascinating trip you can do in molokai to see an old leper colony by mule. Has anyone done it? Is it worth the trip to Molokai alone? Is there much else to do on this island? Thanks all in advance!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • AndreSTGT's Profile Photo

Re: Leper colony - mule rides

by AndreSTGT Online Now Jan 20, 2004 at 2:09 AM

This leper colony is on the Kalaupapa peninsula and a visit by mule is definitely the highlight of a visit to Molokai, and yes, i would say it's worth the trip alone. Other attractions of Molokai are the island's remoteness, Papohako beach and Halawa valley.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • YVRDave's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Leper colony - mule rides

by YVRDave Online Now Jan 20, 2004 at 12:16 PM

There is a new Eco hotel that is operated by Sheraton. It is completely Solar Powered. There are beaches that you would probably be the only one on all day. Maui Nui, the 4 islands in the chain, Moloka'i , Lanai, Maui and Kahoolawe offer some of the best remote vacations in the US. Maui was just voted the best Island in the WORLD for the 10th year in a row by Travel and Leisure magazine.

• BlueCollar's Profile Photo

Re: Leper colony - mule rides

by BlueCollar Online Now Jan 24, 2004 at 12:31 AM

We originally planned three nights ( = two days) on this island for the muleride alone. Although the muleride was the highlight of the trip, we wished we had planned more time here. We loved it. Of the five Sandwich Isles we've explored this one was the most laid back and peaceful. Hence the moniker: The most Hawaiian island. The muleride is spectacular. The mules walk right on the edge. The start of the trail down the switchbacks is at about 1600 feet of elevation. You'll look down the side of the mule almost straight down to the ocean with no guardrail (at the beginning as well as at many points along the trail). At several spots you'll have a trail just five or six feet across with wall straight up on one side and a drop straight down on the other. The guides told us that if you are afraid of heights, just close your eyes and let the mule do the work. But then you cannot enjoy the view. I have a few pics of the ride in my Travel Logues as well as a page dedicated to it. IMHO, it is worth the trip here. In the guidebook Maui Revealed by Wizard Publications, sites on Moloka`i are covered somewhat. Check it out at your local bookstore. There's is not much to do here if you like the nightlife. But one of our most memorable times on any of the Isles was at Hotel Moloka`i's waterside restaurant. They had a one-man band in their open-air dining area and we were treated to a beautiful sunset (picture in my Travel Logues) while we enjoyed a great dinner.

• BlueCollar's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Leper colony - mule rides

by BlueCollar Online Now Jan 24, 2004 at 12:33 AM

Clarification on the two days planned on this island: The muleride is almost a full day event. The second day was for exploring the rest of the island.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Molokai Travel Answer Locations