Mojácar Travel Answers

change location

Murcia airport Mojacar

by Suejohnstone Online Now Mar 21, 2012 at 3:54 AM

I am going to Mojacar in September 2012 flying in to Murcia. There are two of us but as we do not drive will need to what is available, public transport, taxis, trains etc

Help!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • katepj's Profile Photo

Re: Murcia airport Mojacar

by katepj Online Now Mar 21, 2012 at 4:29 AM

No train as far as I am aware to Mojacar.

Here is the link to the Alsa bus service, (Murcia-Mojacar)

alsa.es/portal/site/Alsa/tem...

and another one to a general site about transfers.

mojacar-apartment-rental.co....

Looks like you will need to get a local bus into Murcia, and then a bus in the evening which takes around two and a half hours.

Depends what time your flight arrives. If it is before 4pm it looks doable. Otherwise looks like a taxi service and there seem to be plenty of those on the web.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • johnincornwall's Profile Photo

by johnincornwall Online Now Mar 21, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Hi Sue - do you both truly not drive? In which case fair enough. Or is it that you wont drive in Spain? In which case I could reassure you how easy it is, and in your case, how simple it would make your travel, even if the car is parked for the rest of the week.

If you really cant drive you are unfortunate with your holiday location choice, as it is a fair way from Murcia and Almeria airports. I imagine you are visiting a friend or using their villa.

Transfer may cost a few quid, but make your holiday much more relaxing than trying to scramble about on buses with your luggage.

• katepj's Profile Photo

by katepj Online Now Mar 22, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I think choice of transport is always going to be down to individual preference. Some people like using public transport, and the cost savings are significant compared to using a taxi over 100 plus kms.

Spanish buses are well organised, and luggage doesn't go on the bus on longer journeys, it goes in the specific compartment underneath, and the driver invariably supervises this activity, so that it isn't thrown in higgle-piggle, and it is organised according to where people are getting off. Small hand luggage/bags etc can go on the overhead racks.

Obviously if it was me, I would take the bus. At a guess, you will pay for the bus into Murcia central actually on the bus, it will be around three or four euros probably.

To get the Mojacar bus, you will need to buy your ticket from the ticket office in the bus station. Make sure you go to the correct office if there are more than one, as each different bus company has its own office. This is an Alsa service, so you look for their ticket office, they may have more than one window open too, but it doesn't matter which one you use.

Make sure you ask which platform the bus goes from 'anden'. Sometimes, they automatically write it on the ticket for you, if they don't and you don't speak Spanish - ask them 'scriba, por favor.' (that's write it please). The seat number is usually allocated too on longer journeys so have a look at your ticket for that, I think it is 'plaza' - place - they automatically seat couples together.

The cost according to their site is 11.09€, and the return is 19.96€. There are two morning buses back from Mojacar at 7.05 and 11.00, then nothing until 19.35, so again depends on your flight times.

The buses are full of holidaymakers who enjoy the adventure of Spanish buses and the cheapness. You could always try the bus one way, and get a taxi back if you don't like it.

A couple of other tips. Unlike the stereotypical mañana mañana syndrome, most buses leave incredibly punctually, sometimes a minute or so early. That's partly because the bus driver gets a printed list from the ticket office of the number of passengers to expect, so once they have counted them up, they are ready to leave. Never plan to catch a Spanish bus with only a couple of minutes to spare.

Secondly, they are very comfortable, and they have been no-smoking for a number of years. You can usually take food and drink on the bus too. For a journey of two and a half hours it is unlikely to stop anywhere for passengers to get out (as they do on the longer ones, eg six hours Madrid to Málaga).

Hope that helps if you are still interested in using public transport.

• Aitana's Profile Photo

by Aitana Online Now Mar 22, 2012 at 2:06 AM

For the first leg (airport-Murcia), you will have to take two buses:
    Airport - Santiago de la Ribera:
    aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Sat...

Santiago de la Ribera - Murcia:
    alsa.es/portal/site/Alsa/tem...
    Notice that alsa displays the journey from Santiago de la Ribera to Molina de Segura, but click on "show": Murcia is an intermediate stop.

A taxi from the airport to Murcia can cost 55 €.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines