Moab Travel Answers

change location

transportation within National parks in Moab

by pennysaver1981 Online Now Nov 9, 2010 at 4:55 PM

We are planning on taking a trip to Moab for this Thanks Giving. I was wondering if we can rent a car to see all the National Parks near Moab. Or is it that only a jeep can navigate those roads.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: transportation within National parks in Moab

by bocmaxima Online Now Nov 9, 2010 at 6:27 PM

No, all main roads into the national parks should be fine for regular passenger vehicles. There's no reason to be on the back roads that would require a 4x4 or high-clearance vehicle and certainly no reason to rent one.
    If it's excessively icy, then the road into Arches will not be open because there's a steep incline at the entrance. But it's unlikely that you'll encounter any inclement weather. Just have a good time.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • juliogg's Profile Photo

by juliogg Online Now Nov 9, 2010 at 7:24 PM

They rent Jeeps in Moab.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Nov 9, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Agree with Colin - we saw both parks (Arches and Canyonlands) with just an ordinary rental car. The park roads are good.

• Re: transportation within National parks in Moab

by pennysaver1981 Online Now Nov 9, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Thanks bocmaxima and goodfish. Your replies were helpful and lifted a load off my chest.

by goodfish Online Now Nov 10, 2010 at 3:30 AM

You're welcome!

I will mention that there are parts of Canyonlands that DO involve a 4-wheel drive, and that some of those are currently closed due to wash outs. At the Island in the Sky segment (the part of the park near Moab), parts of the unpaved, backcountry roads are currently inaccessible or impassible. This DOES NOT affect the paved, main road that goes to all the overlooks, or the trails to reach them, though.

nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/i...

It doesn't sound like you were looking for backcountry exploration but thought I'd mention this, just in case. If you were planning on seeing the more isolated Maze section, it can be reached with 2-wheel drive BUT the road is very rough, and you would probably only go out there to do the trek out to the Gallery, unless an experienced backcountry hiker. As well, I believe that one may involve a permit but would have to check.

Oh, do swing by Dead Horse Point State Park on your way to/from Canyonlands!!! The panoramas are excellent, and it's not a far jaunt at all if going to that part of the park.

utah.com/stateparks/dead_hor...

• Re: transportation within National parks in Moab

by pennysaver1981 Online Now Nov 10, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Thanks goodfish, for the detailed reply. Yeah we dont have plans to explore the backpaths in Moab. Its not an option with a 2 yr old travelling with us :). We just want to get a look at some of the famous and popular places there.. we will be there for 4 days.
    I sure was planning on visiting the Dead Horse Point State Park. I got the idea that its a lesser known place, but had great views.

by goodfish Online Now Nov 10, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Ah - a wee one along, eh?? Some of the trails to the overlooks at Canyonlands are not far, and some of them are a bit farther. If your tot is walking, hang onto him/her tightly as the edges are not necessarily protected, and there are very, very long dropoffs.

Trails at Arches also range from very, very short to several miles in length, but with the exception of one or two (which you probably wouldn't do anyway) no worries about your tot.

Beautiful area - we're talking about maybe going back this fall. :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines