Moab Travel Answers

change location

Looking for a Outdoor / Campfire night experience, Moab area

by chrisswfc Online Now Jan 17, 2010 at 6:37 AM

Hi, will be spending a 3 nights in Moab this summer with wife and 2 adolescent kids. Looking for an "outdoor experience" type evening, BBQ, dinner around the campfire, typical "cowboy stuff" (at least as we English/French think of it!). Not really into basic camping, but would be really grateful for any suggestions. Thanks.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Looking for a Outdoor / Campfire night experience, Moab area

by goodfish Online Now Jan 17, 2010 at 8:37 AM

I love the Moab area!
    Did some looking around and this is the closest thing I can find to a "cowboy supper" experience:

http://www.moab-utah.com/chuckwagon/

It looks a little cheesy, and dinner isn't outdoors but I'll keep looking!

Here's a link to Moab's visitor's site
    discovermoab.com/moreactivit...

Moab isn't really a wild west/cowboy sort of town - it's more of a draw for young adults into biking (it's the slickrock biking capital of the world), river rafting and outdoor sports. It's also, of course, a lodging place for visitors to nearby Arches and Canyonlands NP. We found the resident vibe to be on the young, athletic and rather alternative side.

Oh, if you haven't booked accommodations yet, take a look at Red Cliff Lodge - that's on a ranch and has a distinctly Western bent.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Jan 17, 2010 at 9:01 AM

There are a couple of places on the river north of town like that. This would probably work for you: http://www.redcliffslodge.com/

by goodfish Online Now Jan 17, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Looks like we had the same idea, Colin!! :)

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 17, 2010 at 10:32 PM

The "Cowboy Experience" is to be had at what are here called Dude Ranches, there a re a number of them in the state of Utah, but rather hard to find in Moab, although i would certainly check all venues already given. here is a list of all dude ranches in Utah, and a few more for further information.

The term dude ranch by the way comes from easterners travelling west were referred to as dudes in the wild west days. The term stuck to a point that when a visitor with no knowledge of ranch life but wanting to experience it, are also called dudes, - hence the term Dude ranch

everyduderanch.com/united-st...

moabadventurecenter.com/lodg...

http://www.moabcottage.com/

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi...

• Re: Looking for a Outdoor / Campfire night experience, Moab area

by sdcatraveler Online Now Jan 18, 2010 at 11:03 PM

You can definitely have a "camping" experience around a campfire without it being a "cowboy" experience. Moab is very dry and hot (depending on when you go) and is mainly and outdoors-hiking, biking, climbing type of town. There are two grocery stores in town, so you can get some nice steaks from there and do a nice BBQ yourself around a campfire. There are a lot of camping/tenting areas. You can rent a "cabin" which is basically and enclosed small house that will serve as a tent with heating and there are centralized showers/bathrooms. There are also hotels in town if you decide that this isn't your type of thing to do. Have fun!

by VRTravel Online Now Jun 25, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Hi! I just came back from Moab and dang it is hot! At 10 at night it was still 100 degrees but at least it is a dry heat with no real humidity. So we stayed at Slickrock campgrounds which was really awesome. Since it was so hot, even at night we stayed in a cabin which had AC, lights, and beds so you only had to bring sleeping bags/sheets and pillows for sleeping. Outside our cabin (which could lock which was really nice to keep our stuff safe) had a firepit and grill, picnic table, and places for one or two cars to park. The bathrooms had actual toilets and showers and there was a pool to keep us cool during the high temps mid day. Definitely would recommend this place if you want the "cowboy" experience but still want comfort.

by goodfish Online Now Jun 25, 2012 at 4:02 PM

VRT, good info but the OP was coming from France and unlikely to be hauling sleeping bags and pillows. The post is also 2 and 1/2 years old so the trip has long since come and gone.

by VRTravel Online Now Jun 28, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I know I saw that after I had posted that, so sorry! I didn't look at the date. I was just trying to help people with their Moab trips since I just came from there, I will look at the date next time

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines