Moab Travel Answers

change location

Moab in the Summer

by KelvinDaring Online Now Jun 23, 2004 at 12:32 PM

Me and a buddy are thinking about a mountain biking trip to Moab in late July and are wondering if the heat is too oppressive at that time of year?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Easty's Profile Photo

Re: Moab in the Summer

by Easty Online Now Jun 23, 2004 at 1:48 PM

It was kind of toasty when I was at Moab 3 weeks ago. The temperature during the day was in the mid 90s. At least the humidity (I'm from the east coast) was very tolerable. I read that the temperature can be near 100 during the summer months. Another thing to keep in mind is that there are very few trees in the area. Thus, there isn't alot of shade. I have a page on Moab here on VT if you are looking for some ideas.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

Re: Moab in the Summer

by KimberlyAnn Online Now Jun 23, 2004 at 10:58 PM

As my Moab page would tell you we were there in January. For this reason we really didn't experience the heat, but we saw warning signs all over the National Parks in the area about the summer heat and the danger of dehidration accompanied by warnings about carrying LOTS of water. Some of the signs warned that it can be 100 or even higher in the summer. Biking is a pretty strenous activitiy and as already stated trees are scarce. You might want to rethink your location for your outing.

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Moab in the Summer

by KimberlyAnn Online Now Jun 23, 2004 at 11:02 PM

Oh---and my Moab page won't give you any information about biking at all --we mainly hiked and looked at archiological things in the area, so it won't really help you out with your decision. There--I just unadvertised myself! Sorry about that LOL----

• Re: Moab in the Summer

by debgthomas Online Now May 4, 2007 at 7:22 AM

My husband and I traveled to Moab in the summer a number of years ago. My husband is a more accomplished Mt. biker than I. We hooked up with a bike shop and they took us on a group ride. Very beautiful. My husband biked slickrock trail by himself(he met up with a group in the parking lot and stayed with them. Very friendly sorts, those mt. bikers!!) Anyway, we only rode in the early mornings. I believe the bike shop ride met at 6:00AM and was completed by 9:30ish. Way before the worst heat of the day. We spent the rest of the day touring Arches National park, and we left Moab after my husband rode the slickrock trail(which he absolutely loved, but does not recommend riding alone.)

I don't know that you have to scratch the idea of riding in Moab in the summer if it is the only time of the year that you can get there. My husband and I are teachers and are planning a trip to Moab next summer with our 2 sons. It is the only time that we can get there. We are planning on touring parks and riding early in the morning and later in the afternoons/evenings. During the hottest parts of the day, we will swim in the pool at the townhouse that we will rent. Plan ahead for the heat.

Have a great trip.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines