Mizpe Ramon Travel Answers

change location
vanessamumbai's Profile Photo

Transport & Lodging in the desert

by vanessamumbai Online Now Nov 29, 2010 at 12:49 AM

a. Is it better to self drive or join a jeep tour? Which is cheaper and which is a reliable company to rent the vehicle or join the tour with?

b. I like the flexibility of driving myself (as opposed to a group tour) but am not sure of the political situation. Do I need to check on the political situation at all and where may I get updated info on this?

c. I hope to do an overnight at a Bedouin tent to experience their "hospitality". How may I pre-book? Are there options to choose from and is there a website where I can check out the prices in advance?

Thanks a million! =)

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Bregman's Profile Photo

Re: Transport & Lodging in the desert

by Bregman Online Now Nov 29, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Do you plan on driving off road? If yes, you better join a jeep tour. If you only plan to drive on the road you can do it yourself.

You can find some phone numbers for accomodations in the area here: negevjeep.co.il/english/mitz... . Under "Camping" you will find a couple of Bedouin tents places. You will also find there info about jeep tours, etc.

One of the Bedouin places mentions above have their own site: http://www.shayarot.com/English. The other one, located in the middle of the Ramon crater has only a Hebrew site: http://www.beerot.com. Their phone number is +972-8-6586713. Their email: beerot@netvision.net.il

Another place, 6 km north of Mizpe Ramon is: http://www.danfree.50g.com/aelt2.htm. The site is in Hebrew I'm afraid. The phone number is +972-54-5204272 this includes a tour of the Bedouin village.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Bregman's Profile Photo

by Bregman Online Now Nov 29, 2010 at 1:46 PM

And there nothin to worry about the politics around Mizpe Ramon. It's deep inside Israel. It's not a problem do go anywhere in the area.

• Re: Transport & Lodging in the desert

by ramot418 Online Now Nov 29, 2010 at 11:49 PM

As mentioned, politics is a non-issue in your case - totally irrelevant. And I agree with Bregman: If you are planning on driving on 'regular' roads (i.e., roads made for 'normal' cars), then there is no reason not to rent a car to do it. Almost all road signs are in English and Hebrew (many in Arabic as well) and with a good road map you shouldn't have any problems.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

by Martin_S. Online Now Nov 30, 2010 at 4:31 AM

Shalom all:
    Yes politics and the political "situation" is ignorable....(if there is a word like that) and does not affect tourists or day to day living. You could ask our friend Christian (gubbi1) who was just here from Germany.
    As for the jeep, there are two options actually, either join a jeep tour as suggested or there are also "self-drive" jeep tours. The company provides the jeep, and a guide, but you drive, this saves them the money of hiring drivers and also makes one more space for a paying customer.
    Renting a jeep from a car hire company has many restrictions, almost preventing you from going off road.
    Try looking at the listings here
    http://www.b-and-b.co.il/atsoenlt.htm
    might give you a few ideas.
    Martin

• Re: Transport & Lodging in the desert

by shekk Online Now Feb 15, 2012 at 11:31 AM

hi.
    there are some good desert lodging links on this site i came across:
    www.deepdesertisrael.com

sweet dreams (: