Miyajima Travel Answers

change location

Sightseeing areas of interest and good accommodation.

by Yathushan.Sivarajah Online Now Mar 11, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could help me out on finding some very interesting sight places to see here? Also, can someone suggest some cheap decent hostel accommodation as I am only a student??

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: Sightseeing areas of interest and good accommodation.

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Mar 11, 2010 at 2:47 PM

1. The island proper;
    2. Itsukushima Shrine (UNESCO World Heritage Site)
    3. O-torii the famous water gate at the shrine.

O-torii is illuminated at night. You can walk out towards it when the tide is out.

Accomodation is a bit limited on the island itself, as day-trippers from Hiroshima come for the day. I can't remember the name of the place we stayed, but it was not "cheap",so I can't help you.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Mar 11, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Grumpydiver sums it up, but there are also walking trails on the island and some other temples and shrines. We stayed in Hiroshima and visited Miyajima on a daily trip. I suggest you also consider Hiroshima. Everybody should visit Peace Park and Memorial Museum there. If you check my Hiroshima page you can find a tip about Miyajima too.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 11, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Sounds like you are putting together quite a long trip through out the far east. I have been reading your forum questions and I hope that you wrote them (all the tips) all down. How many days are you planning this trip and where is the start and finish line. May be we can help with direction. Anything in particular you want to see. Have you consider China also? Lots of history there.

• Re: Sightseeing areas of interest and good accommodation.

by Yathushan.Sivarajah Online Now Mar 12, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Yeh Im planning to start off in China -> Hong-Kong -> Thailand -> Malaysia -> South Korea -> Japan. That was the general direction im heading in. Not sure whether to book all tickets in advance or on the go.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 12, 2010 at 5:01 AM

Sounds like a good I T , I would get one way tickets through AIRASIA.cm for the legs through Far East. They are low cost and can get them from any travel agency. They usually charge ten dollar for booking a 100 USD flight. If you carry a lap top, it is easy to book e-tickets and carry your code. The problem with the budget airlines though is limited luguage, All excess in kilos will be payed for and sometimes it is almost the cost of a plane ticket, so be careful not to over pack. Carry on is okay but they limit the size and threaten to limit weight, but the tickets are cheappppp. It is funny that I took almost the same route but started in Hk>CHINA>THAILAND>TAIWAIN>JAPAN>HOME
    One of my airlines was United and they let me have a layover of choice before I went to my main destination so I save money there too. Good planning will find you good discounts. Remember you will need a visa to get into China, file for one early. All others you have 30 days. Enjoy yur travels and take the time to dine. Good food in the region

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines