Travel Answers
Mixco Viejo

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Backpacking during the rainy season (3 - 4 weeks in August)

Guatemala Yesterday

Hey all

I am hoping to go to Guatemala for 3 - 4 weeks in August, which I realize lands right in the middle of rainy season. I was wondering if I should be concerned about going to guatemala during this time? Given the circumstances with work and school, this is the only month I can really go, as I will finishing work in July and beginning school in September. I really want to take a trip like this, but my locations and time frames are limited. From what I've gathered, the weather will still be nice, but when it DOES rain, it will dump, and it will rain a decent amount; but I have also heard that this makes the area look very green!

As I this is my first backpacking trip, and I will be doing it solo, I'm hoping to stick to hostel tours and expeditions for the first while. Will there still be a large back packing community there during this time?

Just an idea on where I was hoping to go: Antigua, Florence, Tikal, Semuc Champey, Lake Atitlan, and essentially any other place that pops up along the way. I was also thinking of spending a week in Utila, but that is a secondary goal.

Any advice on this or the region in general is appreciated!

more