Mississauga Travel Answers

change location

use of travellers cheques in shops

by yarisblue Online Now Jun 8, 2006 at 3:38 AM

Hello

Could anyone please advise me if we can use American Dollar Travellers cheques in Canadian stores i.e. Wallmart, Superstore Canada etc., and if so, are there any surcharges.

Also, do stores accept Canadian Dollar Travellers cheques?

Thanks for any replies.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • yvr's Profile Photo

RE: use of travellers cheques in shops

by yvr Online Now Jun 8, 2006 at 5:25 AM

Yes, you can use American Dollar Traveller cheques in Canada, but you won't get a fair exchange rate. With the Canadian dollar at around .90 some stores may not give you an exchange rate, it may just be dollar for dollar. And yes since you are in Canada, we do accept our own canadian travelers cheques. Most banks will charge you a fee to cash travellers checques so you are better off cashing them at stores or perhaps your hotel. You would be better off using your ATM card rather than fooling with travelers cheques, however be aware that you may be charged a small withdrawal fee for using your ATM card.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: use of travellers cheques in shops

by ltt Online Now Jun 8, 2006 at 8:43 AM

when in france, use french currency. when in new zealand use their currency. same holds true in canada and the us. while some canadian store MAY accept a us travellers cheque, many won't. they are two different countries.

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo

RE: RE: use of travellers cheques in shops

by CliffClaven Online Now Jun 8, 2006 at 8:56 AM

Reminds old Cliffie of the time he was sitting in a hotel lobby in Paris. An American woman approached the front desk and gave the clerk some postcards.

- Will you post these for me please?
    - But, Madame, they all have American stamps.
    - Of course they do, they are all to the folks back home. And they are all airmail stamps.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines