Mississauga Travel Answers

change location

sales tax

by yarisblue Online Now May 31, 2006 at 4:45 AM

Hi everyone

Could someone please advise me how much sales tax is added on when buying in Canada.

Thanks for any replies.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • mim95's Profile Photo

RE: sales tax

by mim95 Online Now May 31, 2006 at 5:18 AM

The provincial tax is 8% and the federal Goods and Services Tax (GST) is 7%, but after July 1, it will drop to 6%.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • YVRDave's Profile Photo

RE: RE: sales tax

by YVRDave Online Now May 31, 2006 at 10:03 AM

In other Provinces it is different if you plan to travel out of Ontario.
    On large purchaces like Computers/Software you can request your GST back.
    You can get the PST/HST rebated if purchaced in Quebec. canadasalestaxrefunds.com/gs...

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

by CdnJane Online Now May 31, 2006 at 7:13 PM

Remember that the sales tax is added at the cash register - so figure that you will be currently adding on 15% (after July 1st 14%) to the ticket price. This is true for restaurants as well, but in Ontario there is also a liquour tax but don't ask me what that is... just know that drinking gets ruddy expensive!!!

• RE: RE: sales tax

by yarisblue Online Now Jun 1, 2006 at 3:14 AM

Hi everyone

Thanks for your replies. Am quite surprised that you have to add on both the provincial tax and state tax to all items bought, making a total sales tax of 15%/14%. I just thought that the tax would have been 8% (as in Florida, tax added at till is 7%). Still, I suppose I cannot complain, the sales tax here in the UK is 17 and a Half Per Cent.

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

by CdnJane Online Now Jun 1, 2006 at 4:37 AM

Years ago before the GST (Goods and Service Tax) was brought in, we had a federal sales tax which was buried in the price of merchandise, and was a variable rate, depending upon the item. Then, through the wonders of Government it was decided to set a flat GST rate. It is not charged in grocery stores on most basic food items. The Maritime provinces (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland & Labrador, and Prince Edward Island) have blended their provincial taxes with the GST into a HST rate.
    When the GST came out there was a debate of whether it would be included into the price of items or not, but I think it was kept separate for retailers to point out to the public what the government was charging them. There was some confusion for awhile when people went to some stores where GST was not included and then others where it was included - it was hard to compare, without a calculator, where you were getting the better price. In Ontario, I think the majority of retailers add the tax at the cash register.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines