Mississauga Travel Answers

change location

Travellers cheques

by yarisblue Online Now May 29, 2006 at 10:49 AM

Hi everyone

We are going to Canada(Mississauga) in June for our first visit to that country. Does anyone know if we can use American Travellers Cheques that are in (American Dollars)and American Express Travellers Cheque Cards. Is there any benefit or otherwise, for us doing this or should be get Canadian Travellers cheques?

Thanks for any replies.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • YVRDave's Profile Photo

RE: Travellers cheques

by YVRDave Online Now May 29, 2006 at 12:55 PM

If you plan only to go to Canada, get Canadian's. There are an abundant number of bank machines, ATM's, if you don't want to get to much cash

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • oceania26's Profile Photo

RE: Travellers cheques

by oceania26 Online Now May 29, 2006 at 8:44 PM

Yes you can use them but not everywhere. Some shops don't take American Express b/c of the high fees the vendor has to pay. If you haven't bought them already I wouldn't bother to, it's going to be more of a headache than anything else. You can use your bank card at any ATM or even just change your USD at any bank...in fact many places will take USD as well. I just don't see the use of traveller's cheques, it's a pain to cash them and the high commission rates, my recommendation would be to use your bank card no matter where you travel, it's safer and easier.

• RE: Travellers cheques

by mikemuelken Online Now May 29, 2006 at 9:55 PM

get the check card and then you can go to the banks which are in every little town in ontario.. Then as much asneeded make the x-change at the royalbank which will give you the best rate... Toronto dominion is also a good choice..ontario is great have fun...

• RE: Travellers cheques

by dan780 Online Now May 30, 2006 at 2:44 AM

I would just use the bank machines. If your bank card has a plus or cirrus on the back of it, it will work at any machine in canada or the US.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines