change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Muscovite's Profile Photo

Provisional Minsk itinerary

by Muscovite Online Now Apr 4, 2014 at 6:50 AM

I have finally found a map of Minsk – you won’t believe it, spent over a week trying to find any map or guidebook on Minsk or Belarus at large in Moscow, talk about the union state!
      Now with a more or less clear vision of what is where this is what I am planning to do – suggestions welcome:
      May 1 Thursday
      Arrival, drawing BYR at Sberbank ATM at the railway station (hope it’s in order), catching a ‘marshrutka’ to hotel Sputnik (otherwise walking, hopefully there are no steps). What does one expect on May 1 – anything closed, or the other way round, any special activity?
      Going downtown to watch May 1 demonstration – if any.
      Checking up food supplies:
      - local Vasilki café chain (there is one near railway station) /
      - old reliable NcDonald’s with its free WC /
      - food stores nearest to the hotel . Found one – Chkalovsky at Voroniansky street 17 – they say they take credit cards, uff, good for them! Maybe I’ll skip taking cash with me altogether?..
      May 2 Friday
      Bus 100 9sort of do-it-yourself city tour) or metro to Nemiga, strolling around old town (I guess this is where is is)
      At night - ‘Romeo & Juliette’ at Minsk Opera; not row 8, but still in the stalls - must bring my Sunday suit, I guess.
      May 3 Saturday
      Botanical gardens (if the weather provides)
      Remote attractions like the National library and the observatory (is it an observatory proper, or an observation point)
      May 4 Sunday
      Going off the beaten path to Vankovich house (part of the art museum – can’t see why no one has written about it) + RSDRP 1st congress hut (I expect I will be the only visitor)
      May 5 Monday
      The flight is 14.35 – must be at the airport at 13.00, I guess – will book a taxi for 12.00. May try airport express from the central bus terminal. Do I get it right that bus # 100 goes to airport Minsk-1? By the way, Minsk International airport – is it Minsk-1 or Minsk-2, or it doesn’t matter?
      Extra:
      I tried to book ‘Krechinsky wedding’ at Gorky drama theatre on May 3, but Kvitki say they have only 4 rows left for sale. They can’t be serious!

more

Provisional Minsk itinerary

by Muscovite Online Now Apr 4, 2014 at 6:50 AM

I have finally found a map of Minsk – you won’t believe it, spent over a week trying to find any map or guidebook on Minsk or Belarus at large in Moscow, talk about the union state!
      Now with a more or less clear vision of what is where this is what I am planning to do – suggestions welcome:
      May 1 Thursday
      Arrival, drawing BYR at Sberbank ATM at the railway station (hope it’s in order), catching a ‘marshrutka’ to hotel Sputnik (otherwise walking, hopefully there are no steps). What does one expect on May 1 – anything closed, or the other way round, any special activity?
      Going downtown to watch May 1 demonstration – if any.
      Checking up food supplies:
      - local Vasilki café chain (there is one near railway station) /
      - old reliable NcDonald’s with its free WC /
      - food stores nearest to the hotel . Found one – Chkalovsky at Voroniansky street 17 – they say they take credit cards, uff, good for them! Maybe I’ll skip taking cash with me altogether?..
      May 2 Friday
      Bus 100 9sort of do-it-yourself city tour) or metro to Nemiga, strolling around old town (I guess this is where is is)
      At night - ‘Romeo & Juliette’ at Minsk Opera; not row 8, but still in the stalls - must bring my Sunday suit, I guess.
      May 3 Saturday
      Botanical gardens (if the weather provides)
      Remote attractions like the National library and the observatory (is it an observatory proper, or an observation point)
      May 4 Sunday
      Going off the beaten path to Vankovich house (part of the art museum – can’t see why no one has written about it) + RSDRP 1st congress hut (I expect I will be the only visitor)
      May 5 Monday
      The flight is 14.35 – must be at the airport at 13.00, I guess – will book a taxi for 12.00. May try airport express from the central bus terminal. Do I get it right that bus # 100 goes to airport Minsk-1? By the way, Minsk International airport – is it Minsk-1 or Minsk-2, or it doesn’t matter?
      Extra:
      I tried to book ‘Krechinsky wedding’ at Gorky drama theatre on May 3, but Kvitki say they have only 4 rows left for sale. They can’t be serious!

13 Answers Apr 8, 2014 at 2:51 AM

Hotel Sputnik – how to get from the railway station?

by Muscovite Online Now Mar 7, 2014 at 3:06 AM

Just booked hotel Sputnik on a whim – it is the least expensive option, and they had only two rooms left.
      Hope I did not do anything stupid – had to get myself a wind down after all the turmoil lately.
      – I haven’t booked hotels for a few years, prefer apartments where you can cook your own breakfast. And I never visited any of our close neighbours, formerly constituent republics, since 1991, feel slightly at a loss…
      With just one review about this hotel, anyone knows the best way from the railway station with a wheeled bag and four surgeries in the past year? I guess that will be taxi – or foot, climbing the bus does not seem very encouraging.
      Any advice on Internet? Better to bring my laptop – it’s extra 1,5 kg, or rely on a post office / Internet café?
      Speaking of the cafés – any around?
      Last but least – how does one go currency exchange? I mean, surely I don’t have the same currency as you folks, but still the Russian ruble won’t go for the Byelorussian ruble.
      P.S.
      Have not booked any Moscow – Minsk transportation yet, will ask advice specifically!
      Thanks!

11 Answers Apr 7, 2014 at 6:11 PM
    • i want to visit mir

by genius9972 Online Now Jan 31, 2014 at 2:04 AM

i want to visit mir and be back in 1 day

3 Answers Mar 12, 2014 at 4:32 PM
    • Accomodation in Minsk

by flando Online Now Jan 20, 2014 at 5:43 AM

Hi I'll be in Minsk for 5 days in late May (with my 9 year old son) and an apartment seems the best option.

Can anyone recommend a reliable agency that could sort me out?

Approximately how much should I expect to pay for a one or two bedroom apartment?

I will also require a visa support letter ( in order to obtain a visa) and will then obviously require registration of this with the relevant authorities(we have Irish passports).

Also - I would be looking at visiting places outside the centre - like Khatyn, Stalin Line, Mount of Glory etc. I'm not sure a tour would be much good as my Russian isnt good - I can download enough from the internet to sort me out in that regard - so really what I'd be looking for would be to get there either by public transport or a driver (or - even hire a car & drive myself though that would probs be more trouble than its worth). And ideas would be welcome.

Finally - is there any public transport to & from the airport?

Thanks for your assistance.

3 Answers Apr 12, 2014 at 9:42 AM
    • firing ranges

by steve.cunningham Online Now Dec 24, 2013 at 1:26 PM

is there any firing ranges where you can fire some guns for fun?

1 Answer Dec 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    • questions

by jaumevlc Online Now Jul 22, 2013 at 2:14 AM

1. Some soviet style (old fashioned) place or activity, like bar, restaurant, shops, theatre, museum, red army related monuments or anything.

2. Any kind of markets, except modern shopping malls, like second hand, street market, food market, etc.-

3. Soviet style shops of clothes, soviet propaganda and red army items

4. Places to see belarus folokloric music and dance

5. Rock, punk or any concerts singed in belarusian or russian language (NOT IN ENGLISH)

6. Any lake with pedal boats and old arcade games

7. Hockey or any place to see other sports apart from soccer (it doesn´t have to be professional)

8. Minority groups neiborhoods, with tipical shops and restaurants from their culture

9. Wich neiborhoods or areas we should avoid by the day or night time?

10. Wich places are forbhiden to take photography, apart from military related?

11. Thank you very much, if you can ask just one or two questions is enough.

16 Answers Mar 7, 2014 at 4:12 AM
    • Getting the Visa at the Airport of Minsk at the FAD?

by A_World_Citizen Online Now Jun 20, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Hello,

I'm willing to visit my fiancé in Belarus, and we're planning to get married there, then we will move back here together, however, the only issue is that there is no Belorussian Embassy in my country, hence I have to submit my papers to the FAD at the airport of Minsk in advance, and it says that the inviting person must submit that in person. Does it mean she has to travel all the way to Minsk and then to the airport and submit them? Or she can just send them through the mail service? Otherwise, can I just submit everything from my country to them via DHL?

Also, I didn't find anywhere whether it's necessary to submit a translated copy of my passport or birth certificate, as my papers are in French (except my passport which is in both French and English), so will that suffice? Or must I send the translation as well?

In case I have to send the translated documents, can my fiancé do the translation there in Belarus and send them? Has she had to legalize the translated papers at the ministry of foreign affairs? (honestly, it's like mission impossible for me to find any interpreter or translator who does Russian here!!!!)

I appreciate any sort of help for any full or partial answer, because I'm lost, and we've planned to have a wedding over here, so the deadline is pretty tight.

Thanks everybody, I wish somebody can help.

16 Answers Mar 12, 2014 at 4:32 PM
    • jacquisuiza's Profile Photo

By train to Moscow

by jacquisuiza Online Now May 7, 2013 at 10:40 PM

My son is going to travel from Switzerland to Moscow. He has already bought the tickets for the entire trip but reservations only to Brest because it was not possible to make reservation on Belarus trains. They will spend the day in Minsk before catching a overnight train to Moscow. Is it possible/easy to make a reservation for the same day? Will there be anyone speaking english? Is there a special desk? Do they accept credit cards?
      We searched for and back seat61 but didn't find an answer.
      Thank you for your help.

9 Answers Mar 12, 2014 at 4:32 PM
    • Drugness's Profile Photo

Stalin Line museum - has anyone been here? Seems to be a nightmare to reach!?

by Drugness Online Now Apr 3, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Hello all
      I've read a little about the above museum which is located about 30km from Minsk. Does anyone know of a bus that runs close by the museums location? I've been told that having a car or taking a taxi are the only options available and if thats true then I may be in some bother! :) I'm really very keen to see this place. I'd be prepared to pay for a taxi if i could get one a bit closer then 30km away!
      Maybe some of you guys have been there and can give some good tips
      Thanks!
      DG

11 Answers Mar 12, 2014 at 4:32 PM
    • massot's Profile Photo

Visa. Papers

by massot Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 4:43 AM

My idea is to visit Minsk during a couple of days (29-30 april). But the problem are the papers... they seem unscalable! (letters, visa, money...). We have spanish passport, and no embassy between Spain-Belarus.
      Some advice?
      Thanks!!
      Roma Massot. Tarragona. Catalonia
      massot@comt.cat

8 Answers Apr 1, 2013 at 2:52 AM
    • Transport from Minsk to Masty 1 August 2013

by navster Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Hello, can anyone provide details on how feasible it is to get from Minsk to Masty by public transport on 01 August 2013. A train would be preferable. Thanks.

2 Answers Apr 1, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    • ghazyzadeh's Profile Photo

public and safe place

by ghazyzadeh Online Now May 28, 2012 at 9:48 AM

whould you please guide me, where is safe and public place for nightlife in minsk?

1 Answer Oct 13, 2013 at 3:05 AM
    • sihi's Profile Photo

Currency exchange in Central railway station

by sihi Online Now Mar 22, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Hi!

Where can I change my Euros to Blr rubl in Minsk railway station?
      Is there any exchange office?

thanks!!

3 Answers Apr 1, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    • senroeash's Profile Photo

How much money do I need for a long weekend?

by senroeash Online Now Oct 28, 2011 at 5:48 AM

Hi Everyone

I am going to Minsk on 4th November for a long weekend, four nights, five days in total. I was wondering how much money I would need. Also, should I bring cash (ie Euros) or just a credit card and a cash card? I don't want to get stuck with a wad or Belarusian Roubles that I can't change back to Euros.
      Cheers.

Robert

6 Answers Mar 29, 2013 at 7:19 AM
    • dlandt's Profile Photo

Minsk-Vilnius

by dlandt Online Now Aug 1, 2011 at 9:26 AM

How easy is it to get back and forth between Minsk and Vilnius. Are there frequent rail or bus links? Do they run at regular intervals? I'm not sure why, but this information seems hard to come by.

3 Answers Aug 2, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    • SPANISH TRANSLATOR & HELP IN BELARUS!!

by MIRPOLAKA Online Now Jul 5, 2011 at 8:02 AM

HI, I am travelling to Minsk on august 22, 2011 for two days to visit
      a population called Stara Wola by car with my husband. I need a spanish
      translator to help us. Also, I would like to know if it is safe to ride
      a car in your country, & if the routes are good from MInsk to Stara Wola
      & Wielkie Sielo ( populations near Pruzhany) and how far they are, please.
      Thank you for your collaboration & replies.
      Regards,
      Mirta from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

2 Answers Jul 21, 2011 at 5:56 PM
    • passport control requirement

by yut Online Now Nov 12, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Is there a passport control when flying from moscow to minsk?
      same question for the railway from moscow to minsk?

5 Answers Feb 23, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    • English student wants to come Minsk for 5 months...but how to find a place to live?

by rahemtul Online Now Oct 22, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Hi everyone. I wonder if you can help me at all.

I want to come to the Minsk State Linguistic University for 5 months from January - June.

The university needs various documents from me before it can send me the letter of invitation (passport, health certificate etc. all translated into Russian - should not be too much of a problem).

But the main problem is that before they can send me the letter of invitation, I need to tell them where I will be living, and they need the contact details of the owner so that they can confirm it.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I should go about finding an apartment/a room in an apartment in Minsk, while I am still here in London? And also, what the prices should be?

It seems to me that what I really need is a friend/relative in Minsk who's contact details I can give to the university and who will confirm to the university that I am staying at their place...?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Rahim

4 Answers Oct 29, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    • Urgent Help please !

by OussamaHarb Online Now Aug 24, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Hello everybody ! how are you doing ?

I am Lebanese and I really want to visit Minsk for
      two weeks Sep2-16 but I need this invitation/voucher
      letter in order to get a touristic visa from the
      consulate of Belarus in lebanon.

They tried to rip me off here in lebanon by asking
      me a lot ( 100 USD for an invitation paper +
      120 USD hotel per 1 night +
      in addition to 60 EURO for the visa )!

Can you help me get a better deal ?

I am a backpacker and I prefer to stay in a dormitory
      or cheap hostel ( 15 per day )and I need them to issue
      me the invitation/voucher as soon as possible because
      I am running out of time and I will be forced to cancel
      my trip if I couldnt find a cheap offer since my budget
      is limited.

- how much does the invitation/voucher cost officially ?

I dont use credit cards ! can I pay them cash there on arrival
      at the airport of Minsk for the dormitory and the invitation paper ?

if the above options are difficult, do you know any local person who
      can help me with the invitation paper and host me in his place :)

In case you use instant messanger and you can help me , please add me
      my ms adress: us666@hotmail.com / yahoo : lebjustice@yahoo.com

I am looking forward to reading your reply as soon as possible
      because I am running out of time and my vacation is getting shorter..

7 Answers Aug 29, 2010 at 6:44 AM
    • RoadBum's Profile Photo

Independence Square architect statue

by RoadBum Online Now Jun 28, 2010 at 5:43 AM

There is a (bronze, I believe) statue of an architect (he's looming over a church) at the north end of Independence Square. Does this fellow have a name? Thank you!

3 Answers Jun 28, 2010 at 6:26 PM
    • coopersg's Profile Photo

Currency and paying for taxis

by coopersg Online Now May 25, 2010 at 5:10 AM

I need to get from the railway station to the airport in the middle of the night in Minsk soon. I cannot obtain Belarus cash in advance. Will a taxi driver take Russian Rubles, or Euro, or even USD?
      ...and to save me the hassle, how much should I expect to (really) pay for the trip?

8 Answers Jul 14, 2010 at 12:21 PM
    • Ghost Hunting in Minsk

by lshewitt Online Now May 2, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Does anyone know of a ghost hunting group in Minsk or of a good haunted location in Minsk to do an investigation? I am the founder of a ghost hunting group in New York City and will be in Minsk from 24/5 - 26/5 and would love to do an investigation there or take part in one with another group, as well as to share information.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2 Answers May 4, 2010 at 6:54 AM
    • durenkamp's Profile Photo

Visit to Minsk

by durenkamp Online Now Apr 24, 2010 at 6:46 AM

Hello,

Me and a friend are going to visit Minsk in July of this year for 4 days.

To get to know Minsk and see some interesting thing we would like to do a city tour by car or walking/bus. I already send some emails to a couple of tourist agencies, but sofar they did not respond.

Does any one has some ideas of where to book an excursion ? We need it to be in English.

Thank you for your reply.

2 Answers May 4, 2010 at 2:37 AM
    • glenn57's Profile Photo

can I trust www.hotels-minsk.com ?

by glenn57 Online Now Apr 10, 2010 at 10:55 PM

I see good rates for hotels in Minsk at the website www.hotels-minsk.com . Can I trust this website ? Have any of you booked hotels through this website ?

6 Answers Feb 27, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    • golddune's Profile Photo

4 days in Minsk

by golddune Online Now Apr 8, 2010 at 6:13 AM

Dear all,

This is my 1st time to Minsk for 4 days

kindly advice on night life and good night spots to have fun.

concern to security how safe is minsk. Specifiy place were to aviod problems?

Waht are thing must see in Minsk and other parts of Belrus i can stay 2 days

in minsk and bal 2 day to go other ciites?

any info on public tranport

Appricaite your feed back on my above request

thanks

Gold

2 Answers Mar 29, 2011 at 11:13 PM
    • glenn57's Profile Photo

Cheap hotel in Minsk

by glenn57 Online Now Feb 9, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Can anyone suggest a reasonably-priced hotel in Minsk (under60 per night), that would also provide visa support (invitation letter) ?

10 Answers Mar 7, 2010 at 12:09 AM
    • dolphin training fins

by gkennedy Online Now Oct 18, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Hi

i'm looking to buy some training fins (make dolphin) and a friend of mine bought some at a great price in Russia, (they think in Minsk)

how can i find out the details of sports shops where i can buy them

thanks

3 Answers Oct 21, 2009 at 5:16 AM
    • Transportation to Minsk airport

by Sonic747 Online Now Sep 19, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Hello,

How to get to Minsk airport from the city center (i.e. buses, trains)?

And if you'd go by your own car, how much does the parking cost at airport and is it safe?

2 Answers Oct 14, 2009 at 4:36 PM
    • Transportation:- Minsk to Kaunas...

by JamesDDDD Online Now Aug 29, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Hello, just wondering if anyone can help me out here please

I'm traveling over to Minsk for a few days in late September/early October but my flight is from Kaunas (cheaper alternative)

My flight back to the UK is late afternoon on the 2nd October (Kaunas Airport)

I was just wondering what transportation can I take from Minsk to Kaunas that will get me to Kaunas for lunch time on the 2nd. I can depart Minsk any time from 11pm on the 1st Ocotober

Any help will be much appreciated !

Thank you

James

2 Answers Aug 30, 2009 at 4:04 AM
    • How to get from the airport to the city center

by klogfar Online Now Aug 20, 2009 at 7:20 AM

Could, please, anyone tell me about all possible variants of getting from the Minsk airport. I've found out that Minsk airport is quite far away from the town (about 40 km)and that there's no railway connection or something like that.
      Thank you in advance)))

2 Answers Aug 20, 2009 at 8:13 AM