Minneapolis Travel Answers

change location

Minneapolis to Duluth

by Tami57 Online Now Jun 19, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Hello & Happy Fathers Day. I understand from reading your posts. (Most Very Helpful) That Travelers can get around the Minneapolis St.Paul area via lite rail & bus, What about cities beyond?? We would like to see Split rock light house as well as other sites off the beaten path. I would assume renting a car would be best. We are coming in via Amtrak, where would we go to rent a car ? The Amtrak ticket only Says we arrive @ St.Paul/Minneapolis Amtrak station. Will there be signs like @ Airports?? So afraid of getting lost & missing our return train back to Indiana..Oh well go big or go home..Any comments will be very welcome. Thanks, Tami

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Minneapolis to Duluth

by mccalpin Online Now Jun 19, 2011 at 7:26 PM

The Amtrak station is at
    730 Transfer Rd.
    St. Paul, MN

Like in other locations, there is some sort of Hertz facility at the St. Paul station. I say "some sort" because it may not be a full office, but at least a pickup point where Hertz may take you to another Hertz location (there are several within a couple of miles). You'll need to ask whether your car will be at the Amtrak station or elsewhere.

This is the info for the Hertz facility at the Amtrak station:
    St Paul Amtrak HLE
    730 Transfer Road
    St. Paul , Minnesota 55114
    United States
    Phone : 651-646-1702 Alt. Phone : Fax: 651-646-1789
    Email : stpaulamtrakhlemwr@hertz.com
    Location Type: Corporate
    Hours of Operation: Mo-Fr 0700-1800, Sa 0900-1200, Su Closed

Note the hours...likely if the Amtrak train is late, they'll tell you to take a taxi to the international airport - that's a good thing to ask them. In Charleston, for example, they actually tell you to take a taxi to the airport all the time where they'll reimburse you a set amount for the taxi fare.

As for returns, you can return the car to the Amtrak station if you picked it up there - "After Hours - After hour returns are allowed 0630-2300. Park vehicle in the Hertz designated parking stalls. Drop box is located near the Hertz rental counter in the Amtrak train station."
    See hertz.com/rentacar/location/...

I haven't been to this station, but it is highly unlikely that the signage will be as nice as at airports...on the other hand, Amtrak stations in most cities tend to be small, so follow any signs for the station itself (there are likely to be some), and expect that the Hertz lot will be easy to find. Or, of course, if you end up picking the car up at the airport, then you'll return it to the airport and take a taxi...

Anyway, Amtrak and Hertz have a plan, so you just need to call Hertz and ask how it works there...I don't know of any other car rental agencies that do (but there may be some)...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines